Help ex put linux on my laptop and now it doesnt work

All of the above is correct. I know the lappie is able to connect to wifi, but if I have to I should be able to just connect it with an ethernet cable. I actually wound up having to move so I'm using a different computer for this, which is why this all took me so long lol.

Understood, with thanks :)

Back, my tomorrow with more

Wiz

Where did that @wizardfromoz fellow go? He's usually pretty busy around here @Chibifishy, so you might have to give him a bump. Oops, I just did! :D

Did you figure out that part about "SHA256SUMS?" It's kind of a tedious little step but it does help to make sure that the USB you burn with Etcher will work correctly. Once you have a good working USB with Lubuntu on it, you can test it out on your laptop before installing. That helps you to know that everything will work okay after the install too.

Cheers

Geez, Stan, cut a 5,000 year old Wizard some slack :D

Took me a while to find, in Windows, what I wanted for a video recorder, ended up with one called Active Presenter.

This is the result for the Etcher burn, and I'll have the Lubuntu install in about 24 hours.

VIDEO 1 - Using Etcher to burn a Linux .iso, under Windows, in this case Windows 10

I'll be using VokoScreen for the next one, hopefully I can get the lighting right so that my smiling dial (face) looks more beautiful.

Later

Wiz

Cheers on the likes.

Bricked my computer today, while I was developing the video for Chibifishy (this won't happen to you, Chibi :D)

Obviously working now, but the video will be out tomorrow my time.

Cheers

Wiz

Cheers on the likes.

Bricked my computer today, while I was developing the video for Chibifishy (this won't happen to you, Chibi :D)

Obviously working now, but the video will be out tomorrow my time.

Cheers

Wiz

Well if the mighty Wizard bricked his - - - I now don't feel like an oof for bricking mine like 6 times in a row starting out.

I've been a little busy this week

You and me both :)

That's OK, girl, everything here is in your own time, it's called "Island Time". We just hang around like a bad smell.

When you are ready

VIDEO 2 - INSTALLING LUBUNTU FROM USB STICK

Video is about 11 minutes, I think.

See how you go, and report back when you are done.

If all goes well, I can post a short list of things to do after Lubuntu is installed.

Cheers

Wiz

Well, you've got two (Tux the) Penguins and a Wizard (Likes) from Brian and Stan and I, so you can see we've all been rooting for you. :D

That's great news.

Before I go on and suggest a few housekeeping tasks to assign to your Lubuntu, I'll tell you the most important one.

UFW is the Uncomplicated Fire Wall, it is installed by default, but not enabled currently. Between UFW and a firewall at your modem-router, many many Linux users are effectively safe from "The Nasties" and don't even have to consider Antivirus (AV) software, nor anti-malware software ... PROVIDED they practise safe surfing.

At your Menu button bottom left, under System Tools is LXTerminal, the Terminal for the LXDE DE (Desktop Environment) you are using with Lubuntu.

Click it to launch, and at the prompt type in and enter

Code:
sudo ufw enable

If (I hope) you set a password when installing Lubuntu, you will enter that password there, and you will be rewarded with a message that UFW is enabled, in real time, ie for the rest of your session, that a startup script has been generated, and that it will run at each and every startup/boot/reboot.

A good basic article on UFW is here

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UFW

and it also links to one on GUFW which is the graphical frontend for UFW, and tells how to install that if you prefer Point and Click.

Important to note from that article, is in part, as quoted

Default rules are fine for the average home user

When you turn UFW on, it uses a default set of rules (profile) that should be fine for the average home user. That's at least the goal of the Ubuntu developers. In short, all 'incoming' is being denied, with some exceptions to make things easier for home users.

I'll get cracking on that short list of things to do, probably Post it in a day or three.

Can you do me a favour in the meantime, and post the output of two commands from Terminal?

(my comments are preceded with a # and are not commands)

Code:
sudo blkid

#and

free -h

The latter one (free) should be performed with no Firefox or other apps running, that is basically from the desktop.

Cheers and enjoy your Lubuntu

Wizard

I seem to be having an issue where the terminal isnt letting me enter my password.

I got to ask ........... how are you liking Lubuntu ? ?

Members online

Latest posts