Help, I need to format my HD after I accidentally flashed it instead of the USB.

G'day mate. Welcome to Linux.org. Merry Christmas !

Dont panic.

Give us some more detail.....

As i understand your situation, you HAD antix21 installed on your hdd

You were trying to make a bootable usb.....and in 'Flashing' the iso to that usb stick you have mistakenly 'flashed' your hdd

Is this correct ?

G'day mate. Welcome to Linux.org. Merry Christmas !

Dont panic.

Give us some more detail.....

As i understand your situation, you HAD antix21 installed on your hdd

You were trying to make a bootable usb.....and in 'Flashing' the iso to that usb stick you have mistakenly 'flashed' your hdd

Is this correct ?
Yes that is correct, I flashed my hdd instead of my USB and it turned unuseable, only the SSD works.

Do you have Timeshift installed and setup to take snapshots?...if not, do you have any backup at all?

If not, you will need to reinstall. It is the simplest option.

You can always look for the data finders/recovery apps. Someone else may have a good idea what else to use for that. Because it is Christmas, there will be fewer members online. Be patient

Do you have Timeshift installed and setup to take snapshots?...if not, do you have any backup at all?

You can always look for the data finders/recovery apps. Someone else may have a good idea what else to use for that. Because it is Christmas, there will be fewer members online. Be patient
I don`t have these installed nor did I make backups, but I`ll try to use timeshift with some tutorials

Also how do I reinstall?

Also how do I reinstall?
same as your original install.. just remember to choose the correct storage drive, you should have the option to use whole disk
install alongside another distribution or something diffren..[you may also get a repair Anitx option if you do use it

same as your original install.. just remember to choose the correct storage drive, you should have the option to use whole disk
install alongside another distribution or something diffren..[you may also get a repair Anitx option if you do use it
That sould work, the only issue is that my SSD overwrites my HD on the boot menu, but I`ll try to get that sorted out so I can recover my HD. Thanks guys

That sould work, the only issue is that my SSD overwrites my HD on the boot menu, but I`ll try to get that sorted out so I can recover my HD. Thanks guys
You'll need to go into your BIOS and change which drive you want to start first on boot.

Just for information: I always install Timeshift on my Daily Drivers and create new snapshots every week in order to be prepared in the event that a problem occurs and I can undo it. There are several YouTube videos about Timeshift.
Good luck and Merry Christmas

**1. For Ubuntu and Linux Mint** & Derivatives

Open the terminal (ctrl+alt+T) and execute the below commands one by one....click on Enter between each one.(copy and paste the commands below into Terminal to avoid mistakes)

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install timeshift

**Then just go to Menu....type in Timeshift....and it will be there.**

Settings...select RSYNC

Location...select where you will store the snapshot/s (external hard drive is preferable)

Schedule...if you have a drive with plenty of space you can elect to save several snapshots.....or just keep one or two...

Users...Include All

Filters...under the + icon select both lines

Thats enough....go back to main screen of Timeshift, and select Create

grab a coffee.....5 minutes approx...may be longer depending on how much extra crap you have installed.

Now......if something goes south while you are trying changes etc etc, all you need to do is access Timeshift, click on restore, and go grab another coffee.

Your system will be returned to whenever the snapshot you have chosen to restore, was taken.

@imdumbandstupid welcome to linux.org, also same to @RasAlGhul

1. I have antiX, and it, along with a number of other Debian-based distros, does not allow for the inclusion of PPAs (personal package archives) unless the following package is first installed

software-properties-common

So before you use

First, use

sudo apt-get -y install software-properties-common

Then follow the rest of what @Condobloke has said.

2. Timeshift is only of use to you if you have a properly working install, which you can then snapshot with TS, it is no use for recovering your install if it was not previously on there.

3. antiX may not create a button for launching it. If that is the case, you can launch the GUI version from Terminal using

sudo timeshift-gtk

If you need help understanding Timeshift, read what I usually show newcomers to it

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

**1. For Ubuntu and Linux Mint** & Derivatives

Open the terminal (ctrl+alt+T) and execute the below commands one by one....click on Enter between each one.(copy and paste the commands below into Terminal to avoid mistakes)

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install timeshift

**Then just go to Menu....type in Timeshift....and it will be there.**

Settings...select RSYNC

Location...select where you will store the snapshot/s (external hard drive is preferable)

Schedule...if you have a drive with plenty of space you can elect to save several snapshots.....or just keep one or two...

Users...Include All

Filters...under the + icon select both lines

Thats enough....go back to main screen of Timeshift, and select Create

grab a coffee.....5 minutes approx...may be longer depending on how much extra crap you have installed.

Now......if something goes south while you are trying changes etc etc, all you need to do is access Timeshift, click on restore, and go grab another coffee.

Your system will be returned to whenever the snapshot you have chosen to restore, was taken.
I do the same steps like this YouTuber:

Hope this helps.

Staff online

Members online