Help Install another distro

Cheers Andy :)

Gary, on your reply pane toolbar right of the smiley face is 3 dots and a down elevator button, if you click that you will see "Codes".

Can you, at Terminal, issue the command

Code:
inxi -Fxz

and copy and paste the output to us using the Codes?

If you get something like no command found, then use

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install inxi

and then repeat the command.

inxi -Fxz differs from inxi -Fxs (which you might want to use and save output in a text file for yourself) in that the "z" filters out MAC addresses for you internet connection and removes references to serial numbers, you can try the two options out.

Agreed, but we can address that.

Cheers

Wiz
Code:
System:    Host: linux-mint Kernel: 5.3.0-53-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.5.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.1
           Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: B450M Pro4 serial: <filter> UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: P3.60
           date: 07/31/2019
CPU:       Topology: 8-Core model: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen+ rev: 2 L2 cache: 4096 KiB
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 102196
           Speed: 1693 MHz min/max: 1550/3200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1693 2: 1543 3: 1453 4: 1695 5: 1401 6: 1408 7: 1435
           8: 1603 9: 1429 10: 1875 11: 1425 12: 3638 13: 1417 14: 1728 15: 1565 16: 1450
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: nvidia v: 460.73.01 bus ID: 06:00.0
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: nvidia unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 460.73.01 direct render: Yes
Audio:     Device-1: NVIDIA GK208 HDMI/DP Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 06:00.1
           Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 17h HD Audio vendor: ASRock driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
           bus ID: 08:00.3
           Device-3: Huawei type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo bus ID: 3-3:3
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.3.0-53-generic
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASRock driver: r8169 v: kernel port: f000
           bus ID: 04:00.0
           IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Device-2: Realtek type: USB driver: rtl88x2bu bus ID: 3-4:4
           IF: wlx7ca7b0bcb0cc state: up mac: <filter>
           IF-ID-1: br-07f13712cb58 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
           IF-ID-2: br-ab1cfe55ad81 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
           IF-ID-3: docker0 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
           IF-ID-4: veth2467267 state: up speed: 10000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           IF-ID-5: veth6410b99 state: up speed: 10000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           IF-ID-6: vethbb19c43 state: up speed: 10000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 4.09 TiB used: 867.91 GiB (20.7%)
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Crucial model: CT500MX500SSD1 size: 465.76 GiB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST4000DM004-2CV104 size: 3.64 TiB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 434.53 GiB used: 75.01 GiB (17.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: /boot size: 4.53 GiB used: 260.0 MiB (5.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-3: /home size: 1.79 TiB used: 574.37 GiB (31.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb1
           ID-4: /var size: 1.79 TiB used: 218.27 GiB (11.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb5
           ID-5: swap-1 size: 18.62 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 41.2 C mobo: 34.0 C gpu: nvidia temp: 42 C
           Fan Speeds (RPM): fan-1: 0 fan-2: 1597 fan-3: 0 fan-4: 1234 fan-5: 565 gpu: nvidia fan: 50%
           Voltages: 12v: N/A 5v: N/A 3.3v: 3.41 vbat: 3.26
Info:      Processes: 433 Uptime: 19h 16m Memory: 31.29 GiB used: 4.81 GiB (15.4%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers:
           gcc: 7.5.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.20 inxi: 3.0.32

i think if there was an attempt to convert mbr to gpt this might or might not be :^) be the logic /elements. i'm sure Chris will either disagree or fill in the gaps !

backup existing mbr partition table using sfdisk :

Code:
# sfdisk -d /dev/sda > /some/path/mbrTable.txt

copy whole of sda to an img file along lines:
Code:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/path/to/backup.img bs=64M conv=sync,noerror status=progress
i have done that for my laptop and simply used a mount point for a 64gig usb stick to save .img file to

the backup .img can be if dd'd back to disk or mounted using losetup and "accessed" to get stuff.

Shrink /dev/sda1 to the right to make room for a new efi partition , which will be first partition you will make sure starts at 2048 (see my gparted image).
However i don't think there needs to be a set order for the esp so that could also be at end.

use gdisk to change disk to gpt

then use a liveOS from a booted usb stick to re-install grub

Last edited:
Thanks Gary, for that output, you've got Codes nailed. :) Codes is always best for Terminal output, over a screenshot because we can copy stuff from it and refer it back to you. One tip is to leave the first line in with your user id and prompt, featuring the command you issue, in case you make an error with the syntax.

Codes is also better than just pasting the text in your reply pane, because depending on font style that option may replace something like colons and brackets with smiley faces, and Codes eliminates that.

So for The Viewers Gary is operating from Linux Mint 19.3 'Tricia' with the Xfce DE (and I have that in my stable), and he has 32 GB RAM - very handy.

I have to go shopping for an hour or two and will return. Gary, in the meantime, if you give us the output of

Code:
dmesg | grep -i swap

I can tell you some more about swap under your planned change of environment, and I'll show you mine from Fedora 34, and from this Linux Mint 20.1 'Ulyssa' MATE I am currently writing from. My comments are preceded by a hash.

Code:
# In my Fedora

[chris@fedora ~]$ dmesg | grep -i swap
[    0.226424] Spectre V1 : Mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
[    0.925174] zswap: loaded using pool lzo/zbud
[    2.308342] systemd[1]: Reached target Swap.
[   21.383415] Adding 8388604k swap on /dev/zram0.  Priority:100 extents:1 across:8388604k SSFS

# and in my Mint

chris@UlyssaMATE-SSD:~$ dmesg | grep -i swap
[    0.179337] Spectre V1 : Mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
[    0.647790] zswap: loaded using pool lzo/zbud
[   12.865894] systemd[1]: Activating swap /swapfile...
[   12.929550] Adding 970056k swap on /swapfile.  Priority:-2 extents:4 across:994632k SSFS

Back as soon as I can

Wiz

Thanks Gary, for that output, you've got Codes nailed. :) Codes is always best for Terminal output, over a screenshot because we can copy stuff from it and refer it back to you. One tip is to leave the first line in with your user id and prompt, featuring the command you issue, in case you make an error with the syntax.

Codes is also better than just pasting the text in your reply pane, because depending on font style that option may replace something like colons and brackets with smiley faces, and Codes eliminates that.

So for The Viewers Gary is operating from Linux Mint 19.3 'Tricia' with the Xfce DE (and I have that in my stable), and he has 32 GB RAM - very handy.

I have to go shopping for an hour or two and will return. Gary, in the meantime, if you give us the output of

Code:
dmesg | grep -i swap

I can tell you some more about swap under your planned change of environment, and I'll show you mine from Fedora 34, and from this Linux Mint 20.1 'Ulyssa' MATE I am currently writing from. My comments are preceded by a hash.

Code:
# In my Fedora

[chris@fedora ~]$ dmesg | grep -i swap
[    0.226424] Spectre V1 : Mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
[    0.925174] zswap: loaded using pool lzo/zbud
[    2.308342] systemd[1]: Reached target Swap.
[   21.383415] Adding 8388604k swap on /dev/zram0.  Priority:100 extents:1 across:8388604k SSFS

# and in my Mint

chris@UlyssaMATE-SSD:~$ dmesg | grep -i swap
[    0.179337] Spectre V1 : Mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
[    0.647790] zswap: loaded using pool lzo/zbud
[   12.865894] systemd[1]: Activating swap /swapfile...
[   12.929550] Adding 970056k swap on /swapfile.  Priority:-2 extents:4 across:994632k SSFS

Back as soon as I can

Wiz

Actually Wiz, there are NO "swap" occurrences during my dmesg?

I wouldnt go Manjaro due to contrivousual issues and slower updates. try ArcoLinux.

Noted, @AC3_N1X and welcome to linux.org :). However at the moment we are looking at helping the OP with what he wishes to do, rather than telling him about our individual preferences. :)

Gary

Actually Wiz, there are NO "swap" occurrences during my dmesg?

... doesn't gel with your screenshot here

OZMkeed.png

... which shows Swap being mounted at /dev/sda2.

My output on (similar to your environment) LInux Mint 19. 'Tricia' Xfce, for that command above looks like this

Code:
chris@TriciaXfce-HDD:~$ dmesg | grep -i swap
[    0.179869] Spectre V1 : Mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
[    1.170971] zswap: loaded using pool lzo/zbud
[   16.918350] systemd[1]: Reached target Swap.

You should have at least two (2) lines to that command, makes me wonder whether you issued the command correctly?

You can call it back up either by using your up direction key repeatedly in Terminal, or else with the command

Code:
grep dmesg ~/.bash_history

and we can check it if you like.

BUT

(and Wizard's but usually follows close behind him)

we could get sidetracked with Swap issues which can be better dealt with elsewhere, and you would likely want to get on with setting up your new environment.

So let's look at effecting that.

I'll start a new Post.

Noted, @AC3_N1X and welcome to linux.org :). However at the moment we are looking at helping the OP with what he wishes to do, rather than telling him about our individual preferences. :)

Gary

... doesn't gel with your screenshot here

OZMkeed.png

... which shows Swap being mounted at /dev/sda2.

My output on (similar to your environment) LInux Mint 19. 'Tricia' Xfce, for that command above looks like this

Code:
chris@TriciaXfce-HDD:~$ dmesg | grep -i swap
[    0.179869] Spectre V1 : Mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
[    1.170971] zswap: loaded using pool lzo/zbud
[   16.918350] systemd[1]: Reached target Swap.

You should have at least two (2) lines to that command, makes me wonder whether you issued the command correctly?

You can call it back up either by using your up direction key repeatedly in Terminal, or else with the command

Code:
grep dmesg ~/.bash_history

and we can check it if you like.

BUT

(and Wizard's but usually follows close behind him)

we could get sidetracked with Swap issues which can be better dealt with elsewhere, and you would likely want to get on with setting up your new environment.

So let's look at effecting that.

I'll start a new Post.
Sounds good Wiz.

—Gary

I had a feeling my dmesg output looked different so after using the -C flag to clear dmesg
now I'm seeing the swap lines you wanted to see.
Code:
[garyj@linux-mint] % dmesg | eg -i swap
[    0.000445] Spectre V1 : Mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
[    1.058096] zswap: loaded using pool lzo/zbud
[    6.520089] Adding 19529724k swap on /dev/sda2.  Priority:-2 extents:1 across:19529724k SSFS

@ouray3 - that's the way, Gary, more what I would expect :) . Back with more on my tomorrow.

@AC3_N1X - No Harm, no foul, Mate, as Americans say. No worries, as Aussies say :)

We all have our favourites, and out of the 68 I run, I probably have 10 I would be hard put choosing between.

Later and stay safe

Wiz

@ouray3 - that's the way, Gary, more what I would expect :) . Back with more on my tomorrow.

@AC3_N1X - No Harm, no foul, Mate, as Americans say. No worries, as Aussies say :)

We all have our favourites, and out of the 68 I run, I probably have 10 I would be hard put choosing between.

Later and stay safe

Wiz
Latest update:
After trying a few times I was able to move my /var back to the original / location
which means I have a cleaner /dev/sdb HD now. So we can take that off my list.

Cheers,
Gary

Excellent news, Gary. :)

I have to go for my Saturday night imminently but will be on deck tomorrow with a bunch of ideas and thrash out a plan with you.

Stay safe

Wizard

After trying a few times I was able to move my /var back to the original / location

OK, so can you please give us a current screenshot of each of /dev/sda and /dev/sdb as shown in GParted?

In GParted, click View and choose Device information as I have outlined in the screenshot below (of my SSD), and drag the handles top or bottom left or right to show the whole information, Partition through to Flags. Once you have clicked Device information, it will apply for both /dev/sda and /dev/sdb until you toggle it back.

MySSD-GParted-with-Info.png

WIZARD'S SSD - GPARTED

I'll go ahead and start outlining ideas.

Wiz

Last edited:
TIMESHIFT

1. First thing is to safeguard your Home data, and you have said

I also have automatic rsync scripts to back up my /home files on a file server on my local network.

Does that occur daily, or if not, what is the periodicity?

2. With your root partition (/dev/sda1) having 83.16 GiB consumed, I would wager you have your Timeshift set to defaults, which stores snapshots in your Home folder or Partition, is that the case?

If not sure, you can call up Home in your File Manager (Thunar, for you) and access the Home Partition on /dev/sdb1, and if it is only showing 8 or so folders from Desktop to Videos, click

Ctrl-h

and it will reveal hidden files and folders. One of those revealed folders will be named either

.timeshift

or

.Timeshift

Once you have established that, you could run the command

Code:
du -ah /home/garyj/<name of timeshift folder>

# eg
# du -ah /home/garyj/.timeshift

The "a" shows hidden files and folders, and the "h" converts the output to "human-readable" form, and that will appear at bottom left after the scrolloing output has completed.

You could let us know that figure, if you would.

3. Once you have clarified the above, and if /var has been successfully reunited with you root partition on /dev/sda1, you should look at creating a new partition on /dev/sdb for Timeshift.

Before we do that, we will want to make the conversion of the 4TB drive to GPT, without loss of date to your Home (but safeguarded with your existing backup facility), and then add the Timeshift component.

4. Once that is done, we can look at doing similarly to the SSD, and ultimately get Manjaro or toher choice installed.

I'll link to some reading material in the following post.

Wiz

READING MATERIAL

Some of the following applies to you, a little does not.

If you read it all and see if you grasp the concepts, then I can flag the parts that may vary for you or be unnecessary. When it comes time to start doing the voodoo, I would advocate your printing the articles and having them at your side to refer to.

https://www.linuxtopic.com/2017/08/convert-mbr-to-gpt.html

https://serverfault.com/questions/963178/how-do-i-convert-my-linux-disk-from-mbr-to-gpt-with-uefi

https://serverfault.com/questions/7...-to-4tb-disk-convert-to-gpt-linux-not-windows

Cheers

Wiz

OK, so can you please give us a current screenshot of each of /dev/sda and /dev/sdb as shown in GParted?

In GParted, click View and choose Device information as I have outlined in the screenshot below (of my SSD), and drag the handles top or bottom left or right to show the whole information, Partition through to Flags. Once you have clicked Device information, it will apply for both /dev/sda and /dev/sdb until you toggle it back.

View attachment 9563

WIZARD'S SSD - GPARTED

I'll go ahead and start outlining ideas.

Wiz

Attachments

• gary-mint-sda.png
    gary-mint-sda.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 318
  • gary-mint-sdb.png
    gary-mint-sdb.png
    56 KB · Views: 310
TIMESHIFT

1. First thing is to safeguard your Home data, and you have said

Does that occur daily, or if not, what is the periodicity?

2. With your root partition (/dev/sda1) having 83.16 GiB consumed, I would wager you have your Timeshift set to defaults, which stores snapshots in your Home folder or Partition, is that the case?

If not sure, you can call up Home in your File Manager (Thunar, for you) and access the Home Partition on /dev/sdb1, and if it is only showing 8 or so folders from Desktop to Videos, click

Ctrl-h

and it will reveal hidden files and folders. One of those revealed folders will be named either

.timeshift

or

.Timeshift

Once you have established that, you could run the command

Code:
du -ah /home/garyj/<name of timeshift folder>

# eg
# du -ah /home/garyj/.timeshift

The "a" shows hidden files and folders, and the "h" converts the output to "human-readable" form, and that will appear at bottom left after the scrolloing output has completed.

You could let us know that figure, if you would.

3. Once you have clarified the above, and if /var has been successfully reunited with you root partition on /dev/sda1, you should look at creating a new partition on /dev/sdb for Timeshift.

Before we do that, we will want to make the conversion of the 4TB drive to GPT, without loss of date to your Home (but safeguarded with your existing backup facility), and then add the Timeshift component.

4. Once that is done, we can look at doing similarly to the SSD, and ultimately get Manjaro or toher choice installed.

I'll link to some reading material in the following post.

Wiz
Funny you bring up timeshift location @wizardfromoz !
When I started digging in to where most of my data was in /dev/sda1 sure enough it was timeshift.
So I moved it recently to /dev/sdb1 now. As you can see from gparted result on /dev/sda1 we are
at "normal" disk usage now for / (about 25G).

Also I used clonezilla recently to do a full image backup of sda & sdb onto one of my USB 2TB drives. Clonezilla looks like an impressive tool for image backup. It worked successfully.

I will read all your suggested docs before converting to GPT.
We are getting close to the point of no return :) (so exciting!).

After research on my end recently, I think the cleanest approach to multiple distros
is to share /home BUT I will use unique usernames on each distro to prevent config
conflicts with other distros, this makes a lot of sense to me. So I guess I'll make a large
/home partition after converting to GPT. And then maybe make the /dev/sdb5 partition
dedicated for timeshift.

I'm leaning towards installing Debian and the latest Mint for my new distros.
This way I can migrate my current Mint to the latest one more easily.
At least that's the plan :)
I also want to limit the system to 3 distros to reduce amount of time updating.

I really appreciate all your help so far @wizardfromoz , I've learned so much recently.

Cheers,
Gary

Note you are online, Gary, stay with me for a minute or two.

Chris

Weekend update:
I successfully converted /dev/sdb to GPT with NO issues, screenshot below.
I stretched /dev/sdb1 to 2.68TB which is my common /home dir for the other distros
when installed, each distro will have a unique username. I added /dev/sdb2 984GB partition
which timeshift is now using.

I added another partition to /dev/sda but was nervous to convert to GPT
after reading your doc and others online. It's for sure more difficult for the SSD
and dealing with UEFI grub, etc. So I need to hear a very good reason to
do the conversion to GPT for /dev/sda!

Cheers,
Gary

Attachments

• gary-mint-sda.png
    gary-mint-sda.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 333
  • gary-mint-sdb.png
    gary-mint-sdb.png
    55 KB · Views: 324
What I'll do next is to show you how I have my Timeshift configured, with a view to your taking a full snapshot of your working distro to be stored to your 4TB drive.

As part of that, we may get you to take a leap of faith and blow away existing snapshots, and start the collection of them afresh.

Any such operations should be done when you are bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, ie not when you are about to catch zzzz's :)

Cheers

Just read your above coming, in, noted.

Get a good night's sleep and I'll have more for you on your tomorrow.

Cheers

Members online