help me "forcepae" and cpu error

meinebu

Reaction score
Credits
I tried to install linux lite but got a "gpu" style error on my old laptop.

Code:
WARNING: PAE disabled.
Use parameter 'forcepae' to enable at your own risk!
This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU.
Unable to boot - please use kernel appropriate for your CPU.

F6 and ESC to
Code:
-- forcepae
it didn't work even though i did

Laptop: 1.5GB Ram, 40GB HDD

A gpu (graphics processing unit) is not the same thing as s cpu (central processing unit)
A gpu is usually a discrete card separate from your motherboard.

PAE is an older kernel. Enabling PAE allows the linux kernel to address more than 4GB
on 32 bit systems, or on 64-bit systems running 32-bit OS's.

If your laptop only has 1.5GB of RAM, enabling PAE wont help you.
However the real problem may be that you don't have enough RAM, many modern
linux distro's like at least 4GB.

A gpu (graphics processing unit) is not the same thing as s cpu (central processing unit)
A gpu is usually a discrete card separate from your motherboard.

PAE is an older kernel. Enabling PAE allows the linux kernel to address more than 4GB
on 32 bit systems, or on 64-bit systems running 32-bit OS's.

If your laptop only has 1.5GB of RAM, enabling PAE wont help you.
However the real problem may be that you don't have enough RAM, many modern
linux distro's like at least 4GB.
i.e. will I not be able to install linux on my laptop? I was using windows 7 but wanted to switch to linux.

windows 7 was working fine, i just wanted to switch to linux.

Unable to boot - please use kernel appropriate for your CPU.

You probably have a 32-bit CPU. Linux Lite only offers 64-bit Linux these days. This article provides a pretty good list of options that may work. Even though Linux Lite is listed in this article, the last 32-bit version they released was 3.8, and it reached end-of-life in April of this year and is no longer supported. Try one of the others... try 2 or 3. You should find one that works. Good luck.

You probably have a 32-bit CPU. Linux Lite only offers 64-bit Linux these days. This article provides a pretty good list of options that may work. Even though Linux Lite is listed in this article, the last 32-bit version they released was 3.8, and it reached end-of-life in April of this year and is no longer supported. Try one of the others... try 2 or 3. You should find one that works. Good luck.
I'm installing this right now, it supports right?
Linux Mint 18 "Sarah"

I'm installing this right now, it supports right?
Linux Mint 18 "Sarah"
Sorry, but no.... that version is also end-of-life and not supported. Where did you even find that? It is not offered on the Linux Mint website anymore. It is a good idea to only download from the people who produce the distro. The only 32-bit version from Linux Mint is their "Debian Edition," so the article I linked to is wrong about Linux Mint XFCE.

Try another one from the article. AntiX and Q4OS would be a couple of good starters. Look at the system requirements and start with those that require LESS THAN 1 GB of RAM. Even though you have 1.5 GB, you will need some RAM left over to run programs. Be sure to only download 32-bit ISO files. Try several if you can... experiment with them, and make sure that they operate all of your hardware, like sound, wireless internet, etc. If they don't, then try another.

Last edited:
Sorry, but no.... that version is also end-of-life and not supported. Where did you even find that? It is not offered on the Linux Mint website anymore. It is a good idea to only download from the people who produce the distro. The only 32-bit version from Linux Mint is their "Debian Edition," so the article I linked to is wrong about Linux Mint XFCE.

Try another one from the article. AntiX and Q4OS would be a couple of good starters. Look at the system requirements and start with those that require LESS THAN 1 GB of RAM. Even though you have 1.5 GB, you will need some RAM left over to run programs. Be sure to only download 32-bit ISO files. Try several if you can... experiment with them, and make sure that they operate all of your hardware, like sound, wireless internet, etc. If they don't, then try another.
dude can you please give me the link of one that supports me?

I'm downloading it right now, I found it from the article you posted.
1634772262438.png

I found it from the article you posted.
There were 16 distros in that article, but Debian was not one of them. What you are downloading may work... it is 32-bit, but it will probably be very slow. I did mention the "LMDE 4 Debbie" as "Linux Mint Debian Edition".... that's what LMDE stands for. That distro might also be very slow because you do not have much RAM. But try one, then try another. If they run slow, go back to the article and look at the System Requirements... pick distros that use LESS RAM. Or add more RAM to your computer.

I'm downloading this, let's see if it works..
Q4OS Gemini, Trinity, install-cd - 32bit / i386 - 632 MBytes

1634848078522.png

Members online