Not open for further replies.

anneranch

Reaction score
Credits
I log in as an administrator
I can download a file
I can copy the file using "File manager" - as administrator
I can open the file using "file manager" BUT
I cannot extract the downloaded zip file to SAME folder - as administrator - I do not have "permission".

What gives ?
And how "to fix it" using GUI applications - like "file manager"- logged in as an administrator?

some files when you extract them are designated to a specific folder like /opt/ you have to be in root to extract there or anywhere else try pkexec "File Manager" - so if you are using Thunar as an example for your file manager that would be
Code:
pkexec thunar
this will open a new file manager window in root then try to extract the file
for Caja file manager
Code:
pkexec caja
for Nemo
Code:
pkexec nemo
and so on

Anne, always tell us, even in your Thread title, what Distro you are using that features the problem - name, version number, even desktop environment.

Sometimes we send our crystal balls out for a service. :)

Wiz

There is a small problem with telling what distro.
Have been relatively happy with Ubuntu until the latest "release".
The gurus at Unutu forum actually accused me that reason I lost my OS was not because "sudo apt update" repository , but my fault. So - I am back to using Ubuntu 18 and may "upgrade" if Unutu folks get their act together.
some files when you extract them are designated to a specific folder like /opt/ you have to be in root to extract there or anywhere else try pkexec "File Manager" - so if you are using Thunar as an example for your file manager that would be
Code:
pkexec thunar
this will open a new file manager window in root then try to extract the file
for Caja file manager
Code:
pkexec caja
for Nemo
Code:
pkexec nemo
and so on

But I cannot even START the extraction using FileManager.

And I am specifically asking why I cannot use GUI application because of "permissions" .

Why Ubuntu "File manger " cannot start as "gparted" - asking for password?

There is something missing here , even more , the whole "administrator " concept is illogical.

To find out what distro you are running type this into the terminal:

cat /etc/os-release

Have you tried right clicking on the file and extract here?

There is a small problem with telling what distro.
Have been relatively happy with Ubuntu until the latest "release".
The gurus at Unutu forum actually accused me that reason I lost my OS was not because "sudo apt update" repository , but my fault. So - I am back to using Ubuntu 18 and may "upgrade" if Unutu folks get their act together.

But I cannot even START the extraction using FileManager.

And I am specifically asking why I cannot use GUI application because of "permissions" .

Why Ubuntu "File manger " cannot start as "gparted" - asking for password?

There is something missing here , even more , the whole "administrator " concept is illogical.
By default, the File Manager (Nautilus) in Ubuntu or in any other Linux distro as far as I know uses a non-root user. I mean a user that doesn’t have Administrative rights can access them graphically. If you cannot extract a file by right clicking the file and select extract then there may be an issue with file-roller (that's the program Nautilus use to extract and compress files) or the file you are trying to extract needs admin privileges to extract - There is no GUI for file-roller just the right click function that is until you select compress or extract then you will get a small GUI to make choices - you can install root privileges to Nautilus by opening the terminal type in
Code:
sudo apt install nautilus-admin
now restart Nautilus
Code:
nautilus -q
and open it back up when you right click with Nautilus open you will see "Open as Administrator" You can also open Nautilus as root by running
Code:
pkexec nautilus
then see if you can right click the file and select extract - also have you been able to compress a file?
Also by defualt file-roller cannot extract .rar files you have to install unrar so it can do that

Last edited by a moderator:
I log in as an administrator
I can download a file
I can copy the file using "File manager" - as administrator
I can open the file using "file manager" BUT
I cannot extract the downloaded zip file to SAME folder - as administrator - I do not have "permission".

What gives ?
And how "to fix it" using GUI applications - like "file manager"- logged in as an administrator?
i 3 step program which step 5 and 7 dont change much and 9 is a big upgrade to zero. and then you have 888

@Sseizzenica - I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Please explain

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I'm gonna suggest reading the 2nd link in my signature. Dunno if it'll help, but I'm gonna suggest it.

i 3 step program which step 5 and 7 dont change much and 9 is a big upgrade to zero. and then you have 888
download any file give us the name of the file and then give us the output of :ls -l <filename>

from a terminal eg for a fiel called PKGBUILD.proto i use ls -l on it

Code:
[andrew@darkstar:~/Desktop]$ ls -l PKGBUILD.proto                 (06-24 15:43)
-rw-r--r-- 1 andrew andrew 918 Jun 15 15:32 PKGBUILD.proto

Status
Not open for further replies.