[HELP] newbie on linux

C

Crius

What is the best linux for my "ANCIENT" laptop, specifically an acer aspire 4315...that doesnt lag or whatsoever. I was thinking ill go to Ubuntu 12.04LTS or Linux Mint :|, if you guys could give me advice on what linux distro out there fits for my ANCIENT LAPTOP and a newbie like me, it will be appreciated so much... Thank you in advance :D

Yeah, give ubuntu 12.04 a try.. worst case you try something else right? :) How much mem does it have?

Also PCLinuxOS could be a good idea especially in his lighter versions/flavours like LXDE or MATE ( http://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/ ).
It's a distribution quite easy and intuitive but also aesthetically attractive.
It's based on RPM but You can also use Synaptic........ ;)

My vote on perhaps the easiest to use would be Xubuntu . It's probably the easiest to get started with (LiveUSB install available too), there's tons of documentation, and Xfce has always run like a charm for me.

Then, when you feel comfortable, move on to something else that fits your needs/interests.

If you are wanting any Linux distro in general and if Ubuntu will not work well on your system, then you may want to try Slackware or Puppy Linux.

If you want a lightweight distro that is about 512mb .iso file, that runs LXDE, and is super fast...i suggest taking a look at Peppermint OS Four. This OS makes any computer screaming fast. It is Ubuntu related, so all your .deb packages and ppa's are compatible.

try opensuse i am working wit it on my p4 machine with damaed hdd

What is the best linux for my "ANCIENT" laptop, specifically an acer aspire 4315...that doesnt lag or whatsoever. I was thinking ill go to Ubuntu 12.04LTS or Linux Mint :|, if you guys could give me advice on what linux distro out there fits for my ANCIENT LAPTOP and a newbie like me, it will be appreciated so much... Thank you in advance :D
I reccomend elementary os for new users on older hardware, if your going Ubuntu use xubuntu or lubuntu for old hardware.

Members online