HELP! SCREEN WONT STOP ROTATING AND IVE TRIED EVERYTHING

ImOverThere

Reaction score
Credits
All right so my screen right now is upside down and I cant find a fix to it to no avail. This is really disorientating. If some one could please post how to dis able this that would be great. My computer is not a touch screen by any means. I've tried many many different codes to try and wright this confusion.

Also, what hardware are you using? Oh, and welcome to the group, mate.

Happy Trails,
Paul

I believe the OP is running Ubuntu 18.04 (from a previous post of his, 29th April '18)

Look through these links....this is a relatively common problem

https://askubuntu.com/questions/968169/screen-randomly-rotates-on-ubuntu-17-10

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/look-resolution.html
  1. Open the Activities overview and start typing Displays.

2. Click on Displays to open the panel.

3. If you have multiple displays and they are not mirrored, you can have different settings on each display. Select a display in the preview area.

4. Select the resolution and rotation.

5. Click Apply. The new settings will be applied for 20 seconds before reverting back. That way, if you cannot see anything with the new settings, your old settings will be automatically restored. If you are happy with the new settings, click Keep Changes.
and.....THIS LINK the op there is having similar trouble to you.

AND.....for the ADMINS.
Rather than screwing around,wasting time looking for the op's operating system ,,,,by backtracking to prior topics started by that particular user ..etc etc....why cant the info be contained in a "find content" box which shows when our mouse is hovered over the members name...or over something below the users name...?

My laptop is an hp elitebook 8470p and i haven't heard of x11 utilities till now, still learning about the linux system and the os i'm running. Yes my OS right now is Ubuntu 18.04, if i hold the computer in different orientations it will change the screen rotation just now to the one I want. I have looked for the screen option but it wasn't there. That was my first place I checked and for some reason I couldn't find any option related to screen orientation....?

Did he tell you what he did ?.......the answer would be mighty helpful to others reading this topic, who are in the same predicament.

allot of something I don't understand. what I understood was fixing something with the lines for it and then locking my screen in place.

Hello all :)

@ImOverThere , hi ... I am with @Condobloke ... do you think when you get a chance, you could ask your friend to document what he did, and relay it to us?

It would be to your benefit as well as ours, for helping others.

FYI for the OP and for The Viewers:

With xrandr

Code:
xrandr

xrandr -q  AND

xrandr --query

... provide exactly the same output. I can only guess that the options are a legacy from previous versions, xrandr goes back a long way. All you need is xrandr to get your monitor information.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Ok, mate. From your comment about moving the screen to different orientations, it sounds like a hardware issue. Perhaps he disabled something in the hardware, like my tablet changes the display when I move it from vertical, (tall narrow screen) to horizontal (short wide screen) Glad to hear that you're up and running!

That info on the fix, could surely help someone else from having to re-invent the wheel, if you know what I mean.

Happy Trails
Paul

Last edited:
I'll ask him next time I see him. Hes hard to get a hold of some days. I used code given here's what it says.
xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1366 x 768, maximum 16384 x 16384
LVDS connected primary 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 309mm x 174mm
1366x768 59.99*+ 39.94
1280x720 59.97
1152x768 59.95
1024x768 59.95
800x600 59.96
848x480 59.94
720x480 59.94
640x480 59.94
DisplayPort-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DisplayPort-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DisplayPort-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VGA-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

There is nothing out of the ordinary with that output (& thanks for providing it :)), it looks pretty standard.

@ImOverThere these threads remain open, even when solved, unless Staff have a good reason for closing, so if that method comes to light, by all means share it with us here.

Meanwhile as Paul has said, you are up & running, so all well and good.

Cheers all

Wizard

Members online

Latest posts