Help with Arch commands during installation (debugging)

dreamtraveler

Reaction score
Credits
Hello people, I decided to set up arch and in the process when i was inside the OS i didn't have terminal and browser here are the commands please tell me what i did wrong. thanks

1. Boot the .iso
3. ping google.com Ctrl+c to quit
4. timedatectl set-ntp true
5. timedatectl status
6. cfdisk
7. mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1 (format the partition)
8. mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
9. nano /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist or pacman -Sy reflector
10. pacstrap /mnt base or reflector --verbose --latest 5 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
11. genfstab -U /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab
12. arch-chroot /mnt
13. ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Region(Europe)/City(Athens) /etc/localtime
14. nano /etc/locale.gen (uncomment en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8)
15. locale-gen
16. nano /etc/hostname dt-desktop
17. nano /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost
127.0.1.1 myhostname.localdomain myhostname
18. passwd
18. pacman -S grub
19. grub-install /dev/sda
20. grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
21. exit
22. reboot
23. Boot existing OS
24. root
25. password
24. ip addr show
25. ln -s '/usr/lib/systemd/system/[email protected]' '/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/[email protected]'
26. useradd -m -g users -s /bin/bash dreamtraveler
27. passwd dreamtraveler
28. pacman -S sudo
29. visudo
30. Hit insert & under root ALL=(ALL) ALL type: "dreamtraveler ALL=(ALL) ALL"
31. Hit escape and type :wq to save changes & quit
32. pacman -S xorg-server xorg-apps xorg-xinit (default x2) *clone
33. pacman -S xf86-video-amdgpu or xf86-video-vesa (vesa for virtual machine)
34. pacman -S gdm for cinnamon DE
35. pacman -S cinnamon
36. pacman -S nemo-fileroller
37. pacman -S gnome-terminal
38. systemctl enable gdm for cinnamon DE
39. reboot

I don't know if this will solve the issue but in your list there's at least 2 mistakes; step 6. -
Code:
cfdisk
here you should create at least 2 partitions; a root partition, /dev/sda1, as primary bootable and a logical partition, Home, /dev/sda2, next you format them
Code:
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1
and
Code:
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda2
The other mistake is in step 8. -
Code:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
it should be followed by
Code:
mkdir /mnt/home
then you mount home
Code:
$ mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/home
and then you proceed to install arch
Code:
$ pacstrap /mnt base base-devel
I noticed you've used reflector, I think you will be better off by not using it at the install but instead edit the mirrorlist and rank mirrors. Also, the arch wiki has a lot of info regarding, it wont hurt taking a look at it https://wiki.archlinux.org/

Finally, if you're a new Linux user and want to try arch I'd suggest that you try one of its derivatives: Manjaro, Antergos (very good in my opinion) and arcolinux (very basic arch with a very basic xfce set up as DE)

Hope this helps! :)

I don't know if this will solve the issue but in your list there's at least 2 mistakes; step 6. -
Code:
cfdisk
here you should create at least 2 partitions; a root partition, /dev/sda1, as primary bootable and a logical partition, Home, /dev/sda2, next you format them
Code:
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1
and
Code:
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda2
The other mistake is in step 8. -
Code:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
it should be followed by
Code:
mkdir /mnt/home
then you mount home
Code:
$ mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/home
and then you proceed to install arch
Code:
$ pacstrap /mnt base base-devel
I noticed you've used reflector, I think you will be better off by not using it at the install but instead edit the mirrorlist and rank mirrors. Also, the arch wiki has a lot of info regarding, it wont hurt taking a look at it https://wiki.archlinux.org/

Finally, if you're a new Linux user and want to try arch I'd suggest that you try one of its derivatives: Manjaro, Antergos (very good in my opinion) and arcolinux (very basic arch with a very basic xfce set up as DE)

Hope this helps! :)
I love you man literately thanks :) i used antergos in the past i like it a lot but saved the disk to a clonezilla image and came back 1 month later to do the updates and that backfired... i ll guess i ll try again when i feel like it.

I love you man literately thanks :) i used antergos in the past i like it a lot but saved the disk to a clonezilla image and came back 1 month later to do the updates and that backfired... i ll guess i ll try again when i feel like it.

Keep in mind that Arch is a rolling-release distro and partial updates are not supported. At the beginning of 2018 my internet connection went down like for 3 months, when they finally fixed it I tried to update my Arch and I couldn't; several errors about packages needing other packages and so on. Thing is, you must update Arch regularly, at least twice a month, or better yet once a week, otherwise you'll end up facing a situation just like you did with Antergos.

Nothing wrong ! Terminal should be downloaded before you boot to GUI environment and browser could be done later !
Your I installation is pretty good .

Members online

Latest posts