Help With Imaging using G4L and ssd

A

andym63

I am using G4L it to clone the hard drive in my Muse Research Receptor ,its a linux box that uses wine to play VST instruments.
I have managed to clone the HD.Using the clone disk function in G4l no probs.
I am now thinking about getting an ssd my question is.
Will i be able to make an image of a 1TB Sata drive with about 200GB of info on it.And then transfer that image on to a 250 GB SSD using G4L and still have it boot.

Thx Andy

It may be possible, but different approach with possibly fewer headaches may be to create a partition same size as the SSD or smaller, place data (200GB of info) into that partition and clone it. Then transfer the clone to the SSD -- would it not?
i use Clonezilla, myself.

It may be possible, but different approach with possibly fewer headaches may be to create a partition same size as the SSD or smaller, place data (200GB of info) into that partition and clone it. Then transfer the clone to the SSD -- would it not?
i use Clonezilla, myself.

Hmm that might be worth a try i have a backup of everyhing so it cant do any harm.
The drive that is in the machine now is i 1 tb.
If i understand correctly you are sugesting that i
1.shrink the partition on the 1 tb drive to just above the size of the actual amount of data on it (about 300 gb)using parted magic.
2.clone the shrunken disk on to the empty 500 gb ssd.
3 install the ssd in place of the 1 tb drive.

???
Thx Andy

Hmm that might be worth a try i have a backup of everyhing so it cant do any harm.
The drive that is in the machine now is i 1 tb.
If i understand correctly you are sugesting that i
1.shrink the partition on the 1 tb drive to just above the size of the actual amount of data on it (about 300 gb)using parted magic.
2.clone the shrunken disk on to the empty 500 gb ssd.
3 install the ssd in place of the 1 tb drive.

???
Thx Andy

Hi
I ended up usung unetbootin.
First i cloned the original drive twice onto 2 separate Sata drives and checked to make sure they worked
They where two 2 Tb drives.
I used G4l in unetbootin for that.No probs there.
After that i used one of the clones as a Source drive for my ssd clone.
I started by shrinking the File system on the 2 tb drive to 350 Gb (slightly more than the amount
Of data on the drive.To do this i used parted magic also in the unetbootin distro.
Then i cloned that on to the 500 Gb ssd using G4l click and clone.
Initialy i ghaught the clone had failed because it Stopped after 24.99 % So i left it alone for 30 min just
Incase.Then reebooted
I then reesized the ssd to 500 gb
Using parted magic.
The clone works fine.The file system is error free.
Thx for all the advice .Andy

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts