Help with novice

Pablo56

Reaction score
Credits
I am a windows man but would like to move over to Linux. I have downloaded iso onto a DVD.
I am no trying to install Debian on my PC SSD with 3 partitions. I have 6 jpg's numbered 001.jpg - 006.jpg. Starting with
Can someone help me with this instalation please. Debian 11.6.0

Last edited:

Try setting up an ext4 file system up on the drive where you want to install Linux. It looks like the ones you have are ntfs and fat32.

Are you trying to replace windows completely or trying to install Linux as a dual boot ?
What is the make and full model number of your computer?
Did you burn the ISO to the DVD as a bootable disc?

Also it looks like you have 2 drives, an SSD 500gb and a second small hard drive of some sort is that correct?

No these are coreAMD FX-6300 6 2 seperate computers. The one I am trying to install on is efectavly blank and ready to install. Computer I am trying to install on is ald. Speck...
AMD FX-6300 6 core
NVIDA GeForce GT730
Mother board M%-A78L-M USB3

2nd dirve is just a USB 32G that was plugged in.

the computer with the FX is from around 2012, it should be UEFI and USB bootable,
if you want to do a clean installation, wiping the disc completely then follow my "how do I " guide [see my signature]
you mentioned, you downloaded Debian, Did you download the version with the non-free [proprietary] diver pack?

This is exactly what I want. A clean install. There is nothing on the old PC. It is blank. I downloaded debian-11.6.0-amd64-DVD-1 from the linux website.

"Did you download the version with the non-free [proprietary] diver pack?"

I only downloaded the single iso file. This is the link to the dos based directory of files
I picked the sith item in the listing.

Last edited:
the standard version of Debian includes what we call free drivers this means they are produced and issued by developers under a GNU licence, non-free are proprietary drivers made and licenced by the manufacturers they do not cost you anything, , for the Linux purest they are not FOSS
[Free and open-source software (FOSS) is a term used to refer to groups of software consisting of both free software and open-source software[a] where anyone is freely licensed to use, copy, study, and change the software in any way, and the source code i]

you need torrent installed, to use it, I DONT BOTHER I download from a local mirror

as a newbie if you want an easy to install Debian based distribution, try MINT LMDE5

where are you ? what is your connection speed

I have fairly good speed. I have downloaded over 6 ISOs up to know and all done within 10 minutes. This provider is very slow. Can't do a test while I am downloading but I get about 50 megs a second [Bytes not bits]

This file is 1 meg a second. That is a rubbish speed. Not much faster than an old dial up connection.

in that case it is probably overloading on the server

Members online