Help with Timeshift usage on dual boot EOS + Windows 10

Rafaelys

Reaction score
Credits
Hello people, I have a dual boot with EOS Windows 7 and I was not planning, but I will have to upgrade to Windows 10 since I will need to use some specific software to work soon.

For me the ideal situation would be to install Windows 10 from scratch - I must have deleted files from the system, since the current Windows 7 seems to be corrupted (there is no way to log in via the Administrator account, etc.). I already knew that when doing a clean installation of Windows 10, EOS can be erased, or something, and that because of that I will have to backup my EOS data and settings, which is possible with the Timeshift (which is already installed via PPA, according to the guidelines in the specific thread here in the forum).

I have already saved two bootable USB drives, one with Windows 10 and the other with EOS.

At the moment I think I need to know how to calculate the size needed for the new HDD partition that will receive the EOS backup via Timeshift.

Below are the partitions as they are now:

p;s: I also ask if Timeshift can rescue not only data (files) but also programs and updates that I have now. Knowing this will help me to plan better.

Attachments

• gparted 14-02.png
    gparted 14-02.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:

raffa - smashed broken shoulder, hospital tomorrow. cannot write. in a week i may be better able to help.

at now, to take a timeshift snapshot would take 242 gb or more

p;s: I also ask if Timeshift can rescue not only data (files) but also programs and updates that I have now. Knowing this will help me to plan better.

yes it can

for any helpers, background lies here

https://linux.org/threads/is-there-a-way-to-merge-two-linux-partitions-without-losing-data.27305/

i asked, there

Question for you is do you have UEFI on your computer, as it is usually required to run Windows 10?

answer will be in your bios setup utility from startup - is there a switch between uefi and legacy?

there are space hogs in your elementary os home, likely.

at terminal, type in and enter

Code:
du -ah

and tell us figure bottom-left corner

mine is only 1.4 gb, but i have no games and no virtual machines.

more in a week or so - if i forget, just send me a conversation

wiz

raffa - smashed broken shoulder, hospital tomorrow. cannot write. in a week i may be better able to help.

Man, as someone who is graduating in nursing in a few months I guarantee you that no thread here or in any other forum in the virtual world can be more important than taking care of recovery, as long as necessary. I mean, sometimes the best way for us to keep helping other people is by taking some good time to care ourselves. I sincerely hope you have access to a good, reliable physiotherapist - and the best painkillers too, lol.

Hello there! Almost a month later :p

answer will be in your bios setup utility from startup - is there a switch between uefi and legacy?

From startup, all I see is a dark blue "GNU GRUB" window like this (not so sure about the background image though, and options available here are EOS and Windows 7 instead).

HrNzj.png

there are space hogs in your elementary os home, likely.

at terminal, type in and enter

Code:
du -ah

and tell us figure bottom-left corner

mine is only 1.4 gb, but i have no games and no virtual machines.

Here it sums up to 206 GB

Dear guys & girls, I see I've abandoned my own thread -- last reply above was 30 days before I get help from you, and now it's been two months since that. Now I feel like I can dedicate myself to Timeshift :p

Please let me know if there is anything else I should inform. Thanks!

Members online