HELP

joe83

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, very much a newbie here.. bare with me

Ive upgraded to ubuntu 20.04 finally after running 12.04 lts on my vps for years. Ive also moved host at the same time.

Am having trouble getting my sites to show, all i get is a white page :

This site can’t be reached
Check if there is a typo in .com.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

All my virtual hosts are setup and enabled, all websites are in var/www/html/... test html file in var/www/html/index.html loaded using the server ip when added to the config file as the server name. if i try it with any of the others it doesnt work.

php test page loaded, apache works, myphp admin works. I could really use some fresh ideas and help. cheers

edit: got this

root@localhost:~# host mysite.com
Host mysite.com not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
root@localhost:~# host myothersite.co.uk
myothersite.co.uk has address 77............

That message means that the domain or subdomain your are trying to reach can't be resolved.

check entry "mysite.com" in /etc/hosts, and /etc/resolv.conf entries for DNS, check is there any valid entry or not.

etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
127.0.1.1 localhost
77.........(removed) www.site1.com www.site2.com www.site3.co.uk www.site4.co.uk www.site5.co.uk
# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

etc/resolv.conf
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
# 127.0.0.53 is the systemd-resolved stub resolver.
# run "systemd-resolve --status" to see details about the actual nameservers.

nameserver 127.0.0.53
options edns0 trust-ad

thanks for the help

root@localhost:~# systemd-resolve --status
Global
LLMNR setting: no
MulticastDNS setting: no
DNSOverTLS setting: no
DNSSEC setting: no
DNSSEC supported: no
Current DNS Server: 212.227.123.16
DNS Servers: 212.227.123.16
DNSSEC NTA: 10.in-addr.arpa
16.172.in-addr.arpa
168.192.in-addr.arpa
17.172.in-addr.arpa
18.172.in-addr.arpa
19.172.in-addr.arpa
20.172.in-addr.arpa
21.172.in-addr.arpa
22.172.in-addr.arpa
23.172.in-addr.arpa
24.172.in-addr.arpa
25.172.in-addr.arpa
26.172.in-addr.arpa
27.172.in-addr.arpa
lines 1-23

I'm assuming you are trying to resolve those websites running on your vps from home or another location?

trying to get them all running from my vps, ive moved hosts, some of the domains are still transfering to. i think 212.227.123.16 is the old host name server ip

trying to get them all running from my vps, ive moved hosts, some of the domains are still transfering to. i think 212.227.123.16 is the old host name server ip
I get that you moved them from hosts, my questions was from where are you trying to load your website when you get this error?
Code:

on my pc at home trying to load from the vps server. the only thing that has worked has been a index.html file that was setup in var/www/html and enabled via sites enabled in etc/apache2 using the ip as the server name

Can you do the following.
Code:
 host -t soa mysite.com
Then you will get some output, you need the one after the word "record" and then do the following.
Code:
host mysite.com ns0.mysite.com(replace this with whatever was after the word "record"
What output do you get with that?

root@localhost:~# host -t soa mysite1.com
Host mysite1.com not found: 2(SERVFAIL)

mysite 2 seems to get results, .com maybe taking longer to transfer?

root@localhost:~# host -t soa mysite2.co.uk
mysite2.co.uk has SOA record ns1.livedns.co.uk. admin.mysite2.co.uk. 1634244144 10800 3600 604800 3600

root@localhost:~# host mysite2.co.uk ns1.livedns.co.uk
Using domain server:
Name: ns1.livedns.co.uk
Address: 217.160.81.244#53
Aliases:

mysite2.co.uk has address 77.,,(ipremoved)

thanks

At the end of your dns provider it looks good. What do you get when you do a lookup from your home pc?
Code:
host mysite1.com

from putty connected to the linux/ubuntu vps, am on a windows pc.

root@localhost:~# host mysite1.com
Host mysite1.com not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
root@localhost:~# mysite2.co.uk
mysite2.co.uk has address 77....... removed
root@localhost:~# host mysite3.com
Host mysite3.com not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
root@localhost:~# host mysite4.co.uk
Host mysite4.co.uk not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
root@localhost:~# host mysite5.co.uk
Host mysite5co.uk not found: 2(SERVFAIL)

Last edited:
You mean from another vps or that same vps, you are confusing me?

sorry mate, same vps. i thought you thought i was also running a linux pc. bare with me :D thanks for the help

It looks like from that output that your vps can only resolve mysite2.co.uk and can't resolve the others.
What do you get what you try to resolve those same names from your windows pc using nslookup?
Code:
nslookup mysite1.com
nslookup mysite2.co.uk
nslookup mysite3.com
nslookup mysite4.co.uk
nslookup mysite5.co.uk

ive added two screen shots, if mysite 2 seems ok compared to the rest, it should be loading when the domain is used? in the second screenshot, all others fields are blank except that one

Attachments

• mysite2.jpg
    mysite2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 266
  • others.jpg
    others.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 275
ive added two screen shots, if mysite 2 seems ok compared to the rest, it should be loading when the domain is used? in the second screenshot, all others fields are blank except that one
If you send me the actual domains you are trying to get working in a pm I can see if I can resolve them from my location.

The problem is that for one of your domains there is no A record of the name your are trying to use and the other 4 domains don't have SOA and NS records meaning when someone tries to request your website they get a timeout from the dns server they are using and the page is unable to load. Did you also change dns provider or did you mean you changed vps provider and that same vps provider was also your dns provider meaning you changed both vps and dns provider?

the first three domains have all moved host with the vps. the other two domains records were changed to point to the vps.

Members online