help

oh my goodness gracious you cannot imagine how far over my head this is. i am so thankful for all the attention. i guess i will just be happy i have a computer to use. i am so glad i am old--i don't have to learn all this stuff. you people are amazing. i can do a few things well but not computers. thank you all. ellen

Hi @ellen... well, all this stuff was over our heads at one time too! And sometimes we still stumble, but we can all learn as we go along. In time, as the "frustration" wears off, it actually starts to be fun! :D

Stop by any time, and we will all be glad to help if we can.

Cheers

Yeah, there is a learning curve for everything. Sometimes it is so steep that I feel like I am lying on my back, looking straight up!:eek::D

Hi, my name is Jim I'm 65 and have learned all my computer skills by just reading and doing. I switched from Windows a couple weeks ago. I just put ubuntu (16.04) on but it quickly became glitchy. I tried to install the program " Synaptic" as it was recommended for controlling removal of unwanted applications. Ubuntu wouldn't let me install it so I was stuck. This was 11 days into the install. I watched some youtube videos about Linux and then figured I'd install Mint 18.1. a fresh install promised to wipe out previous data. It worked flawlessly! It removed the problematic system and gave me a new one to work with. I did write down the email addy and password for ubuntu one but haven't used it yet. It's now been a couple weeks since I've installed Mint 18.1. I've been able to add the programs I prefer like chrome,and google earth. It's been working great.
After Microsoft killed my windows 10 laptop, I started using a "my passport" portable hard drive to save all my data files too. It's a little bit more trouble but I have great peace of mind now. It holds 2 tb so there's plenty of room for all sorts of files.
You mentioned about not wanting to spend more money on your pc installs. The operating system and other applications are free. just look up what you want to do on youtube (www.youtube.com) read through it a couple of times (or watch the videos) then download what you need and install it. If you have a dvd burner on your pc then you can download the iso file you want and burn it to a dvd, be sure to check "verify disk" before you start the process.
I created a spread sheet for all my passwords and user id's. I keep it on a few different flash drives that I keep locked in my safe. I open it on the pc I'm using but never store it on any pc. When I need to create a userid and password for any reason I just add it to the passport then update the flash drives from there at a convenient time. I probably said to much, I hope it is helpful. Peace to your venture!

Members online

Latest posts