Here I go again...

Copy and Paste or cut and paste works for me...if the Folder is over say 30GB I'll do small amounts at a time.
m1213.gif

I think i know the solution to your problem, because i fumbled with this a little bit after a free format on my desktop...

in order to see all your drives, use this command:

Code:
df -h

once you do this, you will get a list of file systems, figure out which will look like this...i'm posting part of what it looks like when i use the command on my computer:

Code:
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs           1.5G  3.3M  1.5G   1% /run
/dev/nvme0n1p2  769G  413G  317G  57% /
/dev/sda1       239G  131G  109G  55% /media/xarathustra/MusicAndBac

there are several more file systems than that, but this is enough for your purposes. Look at the categories at the top: filesystem, size, used, avail, use%, and mounted on. You want to copy/paste the path under "mounted on" when you have a identified which drive is what with your cp command. If you copy the device path under "Filesystem", you will get the "not a directory" error because it's a device and not a directory (confusing i know...). The last item on my list is an external flashdrive that i use to back things up, so if i wanted to copy the contents from that to either another external device, i would copy/paste /media/xarathustra/MusicAndBac with my mouse, and ad it to the cp command before pressing enter...you can type it if you want, but no need to with today's linux distros:

Code:
cp /media/xarathustra/MusicAndBac <destination-path>

that is fast, but you can also just use select and right click like you do with windows in the graphical file manager...if you are going for specific folders within the drive instead of copying the whole thing, then learn to navigate with the "ls" and "cd" commands.
Thanks, soon I'm going to need a separate flash Drive just to store all the information I get here.
I was saving it in email, but just too much.

Copy and Paste or cut and paste works for me...if the Folder is over say 30GB I'll do small amounts at a time.
m1213.gif
Copy & Paste worked out fine.
I only messed up once, wasn't paying attention (In a hurry) and formatted a Flash Drive that had all my passwords and appointments on it.
I'll learn to slow down eventually.

Baddc053-​

What Linux os are you running?
Is that a decent distro?
Pretty much I work alot of Html and images for the website, surf a bit, chat on Skype to the fiancee in England and listen to music.
I've got quite a collection of 60s music, no rap crap. 99.9% rock. If anyone is looking for something...chances are that I have it. I started before Napster got shut down. Lots of obscure garage and one hit wonders.

Is that a decent distro?
Pretty much I work alot of Html and images for the website, surf a bit, chat on Skype to the fiancee in England and listen to music.
I've got quite a collection of 60s music, no rap crap. 99.9% rock. If anyone is looking for something...chances are that I have it. I started before Napster got shut down. Lots of obscure garage and one hit wonders.
Yes Linux Mint is a good distro.
I've been running it for the past 3-4 years and I've never had any issues with it.

Linux Mint is an excellent distro

Copy & Paste worked out fine.
I only messed up once, wasn't paying attention (In a hurry) and formatted a Flash Drive that had all my passwords and appointments on it.
I'll learn to slow down eventually.

Don't forget to always remove the Flash Drive or any device connected to a USB port safely.
m1212.gif

I know it seems a bit silly for me to mention it at this point, but if the terminal is causing issues due to your lack of knowledge, then why not use a visual interface instead?
Maybe even boot a live distro of something simple... like Lubuntu?

I know you want to learn, but if your drive is failing, you have to act fast before it conks completely!
It was a combination of both my stupidity and the 6 year old WD Passport.
I picked up a new hard drive from WallyWorld, a 2TB, it's a tad slower than I'd like it to be, but once I migrated all the files, it does the job fine.
Half my issues are fixed, the other?
What's that saying about not being able to teach an old dog new tricks?
I'm trying.

Yeah me too...years ago in Windows...so now I safely eject everything.
m1227.gif
That OS just sucks.
Still waiting on the day when Bill Gates holds all windows customers ransom.

Last edited by a moderator:
That OS just sucks.
Still waiting on the day when Bill Gates holds all windows customers ransom.
Them and Apple already do that...making their customers feel so stupid and dependent that they don't question whether there are better options. That was basically how it was for me, i still think about if i would benefit from windows 11 sometimes, but then im like "...why?"

Them and Apple already do that...making their customers feel so stupid and dependent that they don't question whether there are better options. That was basically how it was for me, i still think about if i would benefit from windows 11 sometimes, but then im like "...why?"
Heck, apple is too high priced for me. Kinda like getting a Ford Ranger compared to an F-350, both get ya to the same place.

What finished me on windows was when 10 came out, we could no longer pick & choose updates, you got what they wanted you to get. Period.
Heck, the fiancee can't even be the administrator of hers, until she allows One Drive. Total BS.

What finished me on windows was when 10 came out, we could no longer pick & choose updates, you got what they wanted you to get. Period.
Heck, the fiancee can't even be the administrator of hers, until she allows One Drive. Total BS.
The administrator thing i think has some simple instructions, but not really worth it because windows actually has several levels of privilege escalation! With linux, there's root and everything else, and that everything else is incredibly flexible and complicated. There are even special "sticky bit" and other kinds of special-case permissions.

One of the reasons i left windows behind is that i was learning web development, but windows 10 wouldn't let me have firefox as a my default browser, they only made it seem like i could change it!

I only would recommend Apple if the someone was rich and absolutely did not care about how their computer worked...they are better than Microsoft about security, but dramatically worse in terms of how you can customize your operating system, did you know that apple is a trillion dollar company in terms of their net asset values?!

The administrator thing i think has some simple instructions, but not really worth it because windows actually has several levels of privilege escalation! With linux, there's root and everything else, and that everything else is incredibly flexible and complicated. There are even special "sticky bit" and other kinds of special-case permissions.

One of the reasons i left windows behind is that i was learning web development, but windows 10 wouldn't let me have firefox as a my default browser, they only made it seem like i could change it!

I only would recommend Apple if the someone was rich and absolutely did not care about how their computer worked...they are better than Microsoft about security, but dramatically worse in terms of how you can customize your operating system, did you know that apple is a trillion dollar company in terms of their net asset values?!
I heard they could buy out America if they chose to, not only is that insane, but scary too.

Do you do alot with the web?
I'm asking because I'm in search of a good web host.
I started off 25 years ago with Host Monster, they were okay the first couple years then took a dump. Went to GoDaddy, they were terrible but I had awesome search rankings, was always in the top 10. I then switched to InMotion. Hosting. They make GoDaddy look amazing, and my rankings took a header south. I was getting 2,700 visits a day, now on a good day I may get 200.
Same website and content, just different hosts.

Makes no sense.

I have a small hosting company but it is just me being a reseller, so ignore that. I've heard lots of good things about InMotion, so I'm surprised you're having issues.

Have you considered a VPS with Digital Ocean? Bluehost and Dream Host both have good reputations.

I heard they could buy out America if they chose to, not only is that insane, but scary too.

Do you do alot with the web?
I started off 25 years ago with Host Monster, they were okay the first couple years then took a dump. Went to GoDaddy, they were terrible but I had awesome search rankings, was always in the top 10. I then switched to InMotion. Hosting. They make GoDaddy look amazing, and my rankings took a header south. I was getting 2,700 visits a day, now on a good day I may get 200.
Same website and content, just different hosts.

Makes no sense.
I doubt they could buy out america, they would have to buy out the military first and that would be extremely expensive, and a lot of the folks in the military would refuse to be bought out...however, they could certainly become the leading computer-equipment contractor for them, yet that is unlikely because the military appears to use a combination of linux and microsoft.

I don't have any experience buying web domains and creating websites beyond coding the HTML and a little javascript...however, what i have learned from research is that yes go daddy is really horrendous and there are an enormous number of alternatives with better customer support. Check out this website:

they'll give you a run down of all the different aspects...from price to uptime. The one thing you probably won't find from that site is details on a web hosts security, probably because if they do the uptime and customer service aspect correctly, then they probably also do the security aspect well enough to protect your info from people who want to get their grubby hands on it.

I have a small hosting company but it is just me being a reseller, so ignore that. I've heard lots of good things about InMotion, so I'm surprised you're having issues.

Have you considered a VPS with Digital Ocean? Bluehost and Dream Host both have good reputations.
I've heard good things about Blue Host, never heard about Dream Host.
I'm not wanting to put a ton of money into it (VPS) it's pretty much a hobby, not a money maker...no shopping cart or anything, just your run of the mill UFO/Paranormal site. But it's been active since the mid 80s.

I doubt they could buy out america, they would have to buy out the military first and that would be extremely expensive, and a lot of the folks in the military would refuse to be bought out...however, they could certainly become the leading computer-equipment contractor for them, yet that is unlikely because the military appears to use a combination of linux and microsoft.

I don't have any experience buying web domains and creating websites beyond coding the HTML and a little javascript...however, what i have learned from research is that yes go daddy is really horrendous and there are an enormous number of alternatives with better customer support. Check out this website:

they'll give you a run down of all the different aspects...from price to uptime. The one thing you probably won't find from that site is details on a web hosts security, probably because if they do the uptime and customer service aspect correctly, then they probably also do the security aspect well enough to protect your info from people who want to get their grubby hands on it.
Checking on it now.