HI :D

Rover

Reaction score
Credits
I just saw this subforum and thought about introducing myself:

I'm a (very soon, just a few months away) student of Computer Science, whom is already learning as much as possible.
Right now I'm half way ending "Linux Fundamentals" by Paul Cobbaut, which is helping me a lot with bash, and already learnt basic Python with "How to think like a Computer Scientist". That's all my knowledge (aside from being a typical Windows user most of my life) on this field.
I'm passionate about learning, almost anything is a target, I love programming, administration, database design, cryptography, security, neural networks and one of my main goals is to fully understand what's really going on on my computer, know every process running as much as possible and be able to really control the system, which I assume could only be achieved by acknowledge and a lot of practice.

Also, I've been quite "on my own" most of my life, so I would be pleased to join even more communities (I've noticed there isn't "free talk" subforums here) or chats or something, but I don't know anyone neither how to join.
I'm a bit bad at social interaction, even virtually, mainly because it overwhelms me and don't really knows where to start from.

So,
you could call me Rover (non-strictly-masc as it might appear), and I'm always willing to friendly talk and knowing anyone, and also: would be really grateful if any help given on how to find MORE PPL and resources and documentation and literally almost anything related to this.

edit: HUGE fan of Doctor Who btw, this is important.

Hugs.

Hello @Rover, and if I didn't say so before... welcome! Sounds like you have a good career path going forward, and I wish you the very best. Computer programming, artificial intelligence, robotics, cryptography, network security.... all worthwhile directions that may offer you many opportunities. :D

I am on the other end of the scale of life, just weeks away from retirement. I will probably make a royal nuisance of myself around here! :eek::eek::D:D

But this is a good place to hang out and learn much about Linux. And as you learn, it becomes your turn to teach and share with others. I've been using Linux for a very long time, but yet I'm still learning new things too. All the time!

Doctor Who? :cool: For me, it's Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and everything else that Tolkien ever wrote. :D

Cheers

G'day Rover, and Welcome to Linux.org

Social interaction?.....all you need to do is be here......we are a talkative bunch and you will likely be bombarded with some english which you will have trouble understand....colloquialisms ....especially Australia....there a few aussies here.....and yanks (americans)....and Poms (english)....and everything in between !!

Join in ...be part of the crowd. We welcome you.

Brian

Hello Rover and welcome the the forum.

And then there is me and ain't no telling what will come out of my mouth. :eek: o_O

It's a cool place to hang out so just jump in and get your feet wet it's the best way.

poorguy :)

Hello @Rover, and if I didn't say so before... welcome! Sounds like you have a good career path going forward, and I wish you the very best. Computer programming, artificial intelligence, robotics, cryptography, network security.... all worthwhile directions that may offer you many opportunities. :D

I am on the other end of the scale of life, just weeks away from retirement. I will probably make a royal nuisance of myself around here! :eek::eek::D:D

But this is a good place to hang out and learn much about Linux. And as you learn, it becomes your turn to teach and share with others. I've been using Linux for a very long time, but yet I'm still learning new things too. All the time!

Doctor Who? :cool: For me, it's Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and everything else that Tolkien ever wrote. :D

Cheers

*ah sh*t here we go again* Thanks :D
Anything related to computers captivates me, those just are personal favs. I found in computers something mind-like (I mean, my thought kinda works like a computer, can't explain much more of how it is but quite sure more than one over here could understand), and felt "This is made for me" the first time I started to learn programming. Everyone seems to hate algorithms (my own age partners who already studied a few years of this, which I couldn't do due to economic issues), I do love them.
Also love Tolkien, in fact, I'd love anything that tells a worth-telling-story, doesn't matter the format or way it's told, it's just the TARDIS stole my heart and take it everywhere.

I'm actually impatient about being able to contribute, not just getting help :p

colloquialisms ....especially Australia....
Oi! ;)
Btw, bomb me over, I'm tough, so I'm staying :cool:

Also thanks poorboy, which I don't quote but appreciate.

edit: HUGE fan of Doctor Who btw, this is important.

Mate, I've already said welcome at your Debian Thread.

I am 61 and have been watching Doctor Who since I was ... 7.

We find your enthusiasm heartwarming. My wife Elaine and I were big fans of a movie called "Pay It Forward", and that is exactly what a number of us do here, all volunteers. We help others to enjoy Linux even a fraction as much as we do, and it is a pleasure to "come to the office" each day :D

On Tolkien

May the hair on your toes never fall out.

Cheers, and enjoy your Linux

Wizard

I am 61 and have been watching Doctor Who since I was ... 7.

omg so you've seen the classic series. I couldn't handdle the special effects on it, started with Tenth and fell in love with him and Rose (flashbacks + intense crying).

BTW ITS OFFICIAL I made it to college, I'm going to be studing CS this next September :D

Rose was pretty special alright ... but I also adored Jenna Coleman aka Clara Oswald. After Dr Who, she went on to play Queen Victoria and her star is definitely on the rise. :)

Congrats on the admission to CS.

Wizard

Members online