Hi Guys (and Gals)

dos2unix

Reaction score
Credits
Just another Linux user here. Started off with Slackware in 1993.
Since then, I used most of the major distros.

I like all of them. In fact the thing I love most about Linux is... we have so many flavors to choose from.
With Microsoft you get one vendor only. With MacOS you get one vendor only,
But with Linux... there are dozens and dozens. :)

They all have different ways of doing things, different commands, different config file locations, different packagers, and even different logo screens. But that's great. I've found all people aren't the same, we don't all do things the same. We don't all live in the same kind of house or drive the same kind of car.

Why do we need to use the same OS? Or even the same distro of Linux for that matter?

It's good to be here, hopefully make some aquaintances, give some help, and get some too! :)

Ray in Oregon (aka dos2unix)

G'day Ray and Welcome to linux.org

Good intro, and really good take on the 'mind set' difference between msft & Linux.

Brian

Welcome to the linux community.
nice intro, I agree with you about why we need to use the same distro.

Just another Linux user here. Started off with Slackware in 1993.
Since then, I used most of the major distros.

I like all of them. In fact the thing I love most about Linux is... we have so many flavors to choose from.
With Microsoft you get one vendor only. With MacOS you get one vendor only,
But with Linux... there are dozens and dozens. :)

They all have different ways of doing things, different commands, different config file locations, different packagers, and even different logo screens. But that's great. I've found all people aren't the same, we don't all do things the same. We don't all live in the same kind of house or drive the same kind of car.

Why do we need to use the same OS? Or even the same distro of Linux for that matter?

It's good to be here, hopefully make some aquaintances, give some help, and get some too! :)

Welcome to Linux Land. It's always a breath of fresh air to hear people share positive experiences. I agree with your point that the "one size fits all" approach Window$ and Appl£ use you can. I also love the freedom. Most of all the fact that you can distro hop until you find one that suites your needs. I am happy with MX Linux on my main machine and Linux Mint XFCE on my second machine. Hope you enjoy your stay

G'day dos2unix with my Pa's name.
I quite agree with you about choices in Linux that is not available to the two mainstream OS's.
Me, I settled for Mint with the Cinnamon desktop for my main OS, it suits me well for what I do.
Enjoy the site.
Nik-Ken-Bah

Members online

Latest posts