Hi i need help with my bootloader-structure in PCLinuxOS

endruschat100

Reaction score
Credits
In addition to Windows 11, I have OpenSuse & PcLinuxOS installed, and I want PcLinuxOS to dominate as the bootloader.
Supposedly you can use "sudo update-grub" to organize the bootloader. I can't use "sudo" in this distribution & can't install it!a

I don't know if this will work, but try..
apt update-grub or just update-grub, without the sudo

Firstly, I'd say go to synaptic in PCLOS, login with root password, update and search for "GRUB customizer." Install it. Try it out.

Come back if not satisfied

surely there must be a root account ? on an install its the first user thats created - is there any autologin that can be disabled . Log out as normal user and just login as root on PcLinuxOS . "sudo" is just a means of getting some elevated privilege. if your logged in as root on the terminal it should show # instead of $
then just try update-grub command

Install 'grub-customizer' and sort 'til your heart's content.

. . . Log out as normal user and just login as root on PcLinuxOS . "sudo" is just a means of getting some elevated privilege. if your logged in as root on the terminal it should show # instead of $
then just try update-grub command
There is no 'sudo' by default in PCLOS

@OP -- the /etc/default/grub file can be edited to get rid of old boot entries, too. You'll need to use mc or nano or vi or another to edit the file as root.

Is PC Linux OS set in the BIOS to boot first?
IF not you can change the boot order in the BIOS in the boot section.
Updating Grub won't make PC Linux OS the main bootloader AFAIK.

You said that PC Linux OS doesn't use sudo and you can't install it.
Than use "su" than type in your root password.

Then run this command (run as root) will update Grub or you can use Grub Customiser.
Try this:
Code:
update-grub

Last edited:
the last-"update-grub" I tried it, after that I put pclinuxOs back on the top list in the bios, unfortunately I didn't think of it myself, thank you

the last-"update-grub" I tried it, after that I put pclinuxOs back on the top list in the bios, unfortunately I didn't think of it myself, thank you
You're welcome.

Does PCLinux OS now have control over the boot?

Is PC Linux OS set in the BIOS to boot first?
IF not you can change the boot order in the BIOS in the boot section.
Updating Grub won't make PC Linux OS the main bootloader AFAIK.

You said that PC Linux OS doesn't use sudo and you can't install it.
Than use "su" than type in your root password.

Then run this command (run as root) will update Grub or you can use Grub Customiser.
Try this:
Code:
update-grub
yeah thats what i meant , but not expressing myself well at the moment

Happy it all worked out for you. Next time if there is a next time. You may also want to go to PCLinuxOS control pannel and click on boot. It will reinstall the boot loader and find any other systems on your computer. And make PCLinuxOS the first boot.
Just good to know.

Members online