Hi new one here, a struggling new one (SOLVED)

Personally, would try to see which runs best of the following mid-weight distributions and avoid the more resource hungry ones
MX21-64
Linux Lite
Kubuntu
peppermint
Experian
After a look on YouTube I like the look of Kubuntu. Ive got nonstop work now for a couple of weeks so once that calms down I will grab that new pen drive and send you a message if thats ok?

I read lot of posts like this, and like to have a comment for the good samaritans.
Please don't forget the poor souls are dealing with a WINDOWS computer - ask them to run commands like inxi... does not help.
This reminds me of my ISP (cheap !) - they do not offer phone support, just chat. Yep, when the line is down, how can I chat ? Maybe they suppose I have to own and know how to use a smart phone ? :(

Welcome to the forums Mike hope you find success. I’ll recommend Linux Lite, Mint, Debian and PeppermintOS amongst the many great distro out there.

Last edited:
After a look on YouTube I like the look of Kubuntu. Ive got nonstop work now for a couple of weeks so once that calms down I will grab that new pen drive and send you a message if thats ok?
Welcome!
Going back to your issues, they definitely smell like the image you're trying to use for the installation doesn't come with all the modules (like Windows' drivers) you need, for instance the network and graphics card.
My first advice is always search for the following image:
  • One that matches the kind of processor (32 or 64 bits, as @Brickwizard said in page 1). I think yours would be 64-bit according to one of his posts.
  • One that includes non-free, proprietary software like firmware and modules.
  • In addition to that, one that comes in the form of a Live system: that will allow you to try before installing,
For example, in the case of manjaro, all their images will come pre-shipped with the essential modules to make any supported hardware to work, regardless if it was non-free, and all of them are live isos.

I think it's important for you to have one of those, as it will validate your download and thumbdrive, but also the capability of your laptop to run the system with the support you need.

Then you can try other alternatives when you feel ready.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums Mike hope you find success. I’ll recommend Linux Lite, Mint, Debian and PeppermintOS amongst the many great distro out there.
Thank you Darry, I really like the look of Linux Mint but were not sure if this old system could handle it

Welcome!
Going back to your issues, they definitely smell like the image you're trying to use for the installation doesn't come with all the modules (like Windows' drivers) you need, for instance the network and graphics card.
My first advice is always search for the following image:
  • One that matches the kind of processor (32 or 64 bits, as @Brickwizard said in page 1). I think yours would be 64-bit according to one of his posts.
  • One that includes non-free, proprietary software like firmware and modules.
  • In addition to that, one that comes in the form of a Live system: that will allow you to try before installing,
For example, in the case of manjaro, all their images will come pre-shipped with the essential modules to make any supported hardware to work, regardless if it was non-free, and all of them are live isos.

I think it's important for you to have one of those, as it will validate your download and thumbdrive, but also the capability of your laptop to run the system with the support you need.

Then you can try other alternatives when you feel ready.
My first install was supposed to be Linux mint with the live install option however something went wrong somewhere and I unfortunately ended up with a black screen.

Im hoping to retry in the next few weeks, I'll ask for some assistance before i do if anyone is free for an hour or so to assist me just so I making sure I'm downloading the correct distro beforehand.

Thanks for reply and advice :)

I'll ask for some assistance before i do if anyone is free for an hour or so to assist me just so I making sure I'm downloading the correct distro beforehand.
Just remember, we are spread across all continents and time zones, therefore you may not get an immediate reply.
what country/time zone are you in?

UK timezone so its currently 13.56 here, its whenever one of you helpful fellas are able to make time, I lost all confidence after the last few attempts.

Thank you Darry, I really like the look of Linux Mint but were not sure if this old system could handle it
Hi Mike,
I'm only on here briefly these days (every few years) when the forum pops out a 'see what you've missed' email. So, while i was reading the email, I saw your post in the list, and having been active in new member support on various Linux forums over the last 20 years I thought I might toss this into the grab bag.
Sorry it is a long read, but I might not get back much, so I'll make it as informative as possible.

Linux Mint no longer supports, nor has a desktop environment (the 'windows looking part of Linux) based on KDE/Plasma (that's what Kubunutui runs).
It does however have its own very popular default desktop called Cinnamon, and another called MATE.
It also supports and offers a desktop environment called Xfce, which is quite popular on lower spec systems like your Acer. I am running all sorts of pretty intense things on my Mint Xfce system.

So 'if' you decide to install Mint:
Regarding the 'Desktop Environment'
First thing to do is try to watch some YouTube videos about 'Mint Cinnamon', 'Mint MATE', Mint Xfce'
See which one you like most and that you personally would like to be looking at, working with etc. on a day to day basis, and choose that one to burn to your USB stick. It is a P A I N to try to install a different Desktop Environment later :)
While you are considering though, remember, like ALL Linux Distributions, 'how it looks' is very, very configurable. For example, I even have transparent File Manager Windows (completely useless) and video wallpaper (also completely useless). You will never need to do that stuff - but some of us just do it because we can.
SO basically, pick between Cinnamon, Xfce and MATE based on what YOU would like to see/use every day.
You might find inspiration here:
Mint Desktops Compared

Mint has a very very active forum, just like Linux.org, and their members are likewise, always ready to help.

Regarding the RAM
I have 8GB RAM and 1TB Hard Drive. My desktop has a display on it that says I am using 1.95GB out of my 7.65GB available RAM. I have something called 'swap' set up as a file on my hard drive in case I ever run out of RAM - but I have never, ever broken the 4GB mark yet. So you should be fine with a 4GB RAM system.

Regarding the Hard Disk.
When you are installing Mint, you should never do the 'default' install. Do a manual Install. I think the option is still called 'Something Else' it will be something that sounds like that anyway.
Once you get there you have to configure partitions on your Hard Drive.
A few things to remember (these are ESSENTIAL!).

The root partition / should be 50GB (it will probably show as 46GB on your system later, but that's a system thing. Make it 50GB when you are choosing and that will be fine. Your programs are usually installed into root, so this grows a lot. Mine, with a lot of heavy duty stuff installed is still only using 25GB - but making it bigger once it is installed is a real pain (if you run out of space).

DON'T set up a 'Swap' partition.
Mint uses a swap file by default and it only appears if you run out of RAM, then if goes away. That's why you can get away with 4GB RAM. You will probably never run our - but just in case, the swap file will be there.

That's about it. Unlike Windows - you never have to Defrag your drive. In fact it is a good thing to remember, because from time to time someone will offer a Defrag program / App for Linux. Just 'DON'T' :)

Some other members here are likely to comment on this advice. If they agree or disagree - read their suggestions too. We all have slightly different experiences and it is worth comparing different views.
ALSO - I am talking about Mint because you mentioned it. There ARE other options that are just as good as Mint. REMEMBER ( I'm shouting - for emphasis - sorry) to look for YouTube videos on whatever options you are considering.

Most of all - Have Fun and enjoy the Linux Community AND especially Linux.Org Forum.
Cheers, RossD

Just for laughs, here's an example of some of the completely unnecessary KDEish theme stuff you can do with Mint Xfce if you are crazy enough.., including my home made 'Minty Green' theming, and a desktop indicator called a 'conky' that can be written for any Desktop Environment, not just KDE or Xfce that shows my RAM usage, CPU load, VPN situation and the time/date at a glance.
You can make Linux look like whatever you want really!

Mint Theme at April 2022 - More Green bits - Screenshot_2022-04-05_23-54-59-resized.png

Hi Mike,
I'm only on here briefly these days (every few years) when the forum pops out a 'see what you've missed' email. So, while i was reading the email, I saw your post in the list, and having been active in new member support on various Linux forums over the last 20 years I thought I might toss this into the grab bag.
Sorry it is a long read, but I might not get back much, so I'll make it as informative as possible.

Linux Mint no longer supports, nor has a desktop environment (the 'windows looking part of Linux) based on KDE/Plasma (that's what Kubunutui runs).
It does however have its own very popular default desktop called Cinnamon, and another called MATE.
It also supports and offers a desktop environment called Xfce, which is quite popular on lower spec systems like your Acer. I am running all sorts of pretty intense things on my Mint Xfce system.

So 'if' you decide to install Mint:
Regarding the 'Desktop Environment'
First thing to do is try to watch some YouTube videos about 'Mint Cinnamon', 'Mint MATE', Mint Xfce'
See which one you like most and that you personally would like to be looking at, working with etc. on a day to day basis, and choose that one to burn to your USB stick. It is a P A I N to try to install a different Desktop Environment later :)
While you are considering though, remember, like ALL Linux Distributions, 'how it looks' is very, very configurable. For example, I even have transparent File Manager Windows (completely useless) and video wallpaper (also completely useless). You will never need to do that stuff - but some of us just do it because we can.
SO basically, pick between Cinnamon, Xfce and MATE based on what YOU would like to see/use every day.
You might find inspiration here:
Mint Desktops Compared

Mint has a very very active forum, just like Linux.org, and their members are likewise, always ready to help.

Regarding the RAM
I have 8GB RAM and 1TB Hard Drive. My desktop has a display on it that says I am using 1.95GB out of my 7.65GB available RAM. I have something called 'swap' set up as a file on my hard drive in case I ever run out of RAM - but I have never, ever broken the 4GB mark yet. So you should be fine with a 4GB RAM system.

Regarding the Hard Disk.
When you are installing Mint, you should never do the 'default' install. Do a manual Install. I think the option is still called 'Something Else' it will be something that sounds like that anyway.
Once you get there you have to configure partitions on your Hard Drive.
A few things to remember (these are ESSENTIAL!).

The root partition / should be 50GB (it will probably show as 46GB on your system later, but that's a system thing. Make it 50GB when you are choosing and that will be fine. Your programs are usually installed into root, so this grows a lot. Mine, with a lot of heavy duty stuff installed is still only using 25GB - but making it bigger once it is installed is a real pain (if you run out of space).

DON'T set up a 'Swap' partition.
Mint uses a swap file by default and it only appears if you run out of RAM, then if goes away. That's why you can get away with 4GB RAM. You will probably never run our - but just in case, the swap file will be there.

That's about it. Unlike Windows - you never have to Defrag your drive. In fact it is a good thing to remember, because from time to time someone will offer a Defrag program / App for Linux. Just 'DON'T' :)

Some other members here are likely to comment on this advice. If they agree or disagree - read their suggestions too. We all have slightly different experiences and it is worth comparing different views.
ALSO - I am talking about Mint because you mentioned it. There ARE other options that are just as good as Mint. REMEMBER ( I'm shouting - for emphasis - sorry) to look for YouTube videos on whatever options you are considering.

Most of all - Have Fun and enjoy the Linux Community AND especially Linux.Org Forum.
Cheers, RossD

Just for laughs, here's an example of some of the completely unnecessary KDEish theme stuff you can do with Mint Xfce if you are crazy enough.., including my home made 'Minty Green' theming, and a desktop indicator called a 'conky' that can be written for any Desktop Environment, not just KDE or Xfce that shows my RAM usage, CPU load, VPN situation and the time/date at a glance.
You can make Linux look like whatever you want really!

View attachment 12737
Thank you Ross, I really like your desktop even though im confused looking at it lol it looks very good.

I did try installing cinnamon and I had an issue with the installation which has been my problem since the beginning, it was a very informative reply and it really helps me understand more about the linux OS. With me not being a very technical person I have wanted to change over to Linux for a long time however the confidence was never there.

Ive been overwhelmed already with the amount of help on the forum and its definitely helped me decide that moving over to Linux is the best thing to do, I've become so fed up of Windows that I got my kids a mac instead and as much as I'm not a fan of apple due to their ridiculous prices its been a reliable machine for their requirements.

Once my work calms down I'll be looking to hopefully install a new OS and thankfully the gentleman on this post like yourself have offered to support which is much appreciated.

You're welcome Mike. Be patient, and watch the YouTube comparisons for whatever you are interested in to help make up your mind. And continue to ask questions here. The replies I have read here from others have also made suggestions that are very important, and one member offered personal assistance.

Given that we are spread all around the world, it is incredible the knowledge base you have to draw on here.
Good luck with your Linux journey. Once you have Linux set up, it works in many ways, like Mac. They both 'sort of' have Unix roots, so even some of the command structure is similar.
But Linux is far cheaper, close to 'as reliable' in my experience, and a hell of a lot of fun. I'm pretty sure that once you have got used to Linux you (like the rest of us) will wonder how you ever put up with Windows.

I'll try to watch this thread sometimes and see if I can keep up with how you are going. If you ever have a specific question, I do answer a PM if I get it.
Cheers, RossD

You're welcome Mike. Be patient, and watch the YouTube comparisons for whatever you are interested in to help make up your mind. And continue to ask questions here. The replies I have read here from others have also made suggestions that are very important, and one member offered personal assistance.

Given that we are spread all around the world, it is incredible the knowledge base you have to draw on here.
Good luck with your Linux journey. Once you have Linux set up, it works in many ways, like Mac. They both 'sort of' have Unix roots, so even some of the command structure is similar.
But Linux is far cheaper, close to 'as reliable' in my experience, and a hell of a lot of fun. I'm pretty sure that once you have got used to Linux you (like the rest of us) will wonder how you ever put up with Windows.

I'll try to watch this thread sometimes and see if I can keep up with how you are going. If you ever have a specific question, I do answer a PM if I get it.
Cheers, RossD
I thank you so much RossD, I am very happy I joined the forum. Ive been getting some advice from one of the kind members on PM and have done as instructed so far so hoping to let you know how my linux journey continues soon.

Ill be sure to PM you too as you've been very helpful buddy.

Quick update guys,

Ended up running Linux lite as its less demanding on my hardware;

First of all a big thank you to everyone who helped me with the installation instructions and a huge thanks Brickwizard who's been assisting me through PM even with the attack yesterday.

The only issue I ran into once the installation was completed was my touchpad stopped working which was solved once I opened up a YouTube video that helped instructed the terminal commands and a reboot.

Already liking this better than windows (yuk)

Again thank you to everyone who has helped and advised me without it I'd not have taken the step to install Linux :)

Linux Lite. Good Choice.

I'm not sure Linux Lite is actually 'lighter' on system resources than say, Mint Xfce. However I do think you will enjoy it.
Being an Xfce distribution you will find it pretty intuitive and you can make it look however you want, easily enough.

Don't forget yo set up an account on the Linux Lite user forums and introduce yourself there. If it is anything like the Mint Forums or any of the other Linux forums I've been involved with over the last 20 or so years, you will find a lot of help and all the support you may need there.

Most of all - Welcome to the Linux Community :)

I'm not sure Linux Lite is actually 'lighter' on system resources than say, Mint Xfce. However I do think you will enjoy it.
Being an Xfce distribution you will find it pretty intuitive and you can make it look however you want, easily enough.

Don't forget yo set up an account on the Linux Lite user forums and introduce yourself there. If it is anything like the Mint Forums or any of the other Linux forums I've been involved with over the last 20 or so years, you will find a lot of help and all the support you may need there.

Most of all - Welcome to the Linux Community :)
Thanks RossD,

Ill definitely be popping over to them forums too and introducing myself to them.

Still learning how to install apps with the commands and making a hash of them but slowly finding my way around with me not being that tech savvy

Members online