HI warning NOOB alert needs some serious help from the beginning to the end.

J

jammymutt

Hi,

I have always been a user of MS products but a friend of mine recently told me I should try Linux, but he is a programmer and he knows what he is doing.

I recently bought an ex server unit to convert to a pc for some gaming and general online usage.

The ex server unit is:-
Intel i7 920 Quad Core Processor
Biostar TPower Motherboard
12Gb Ram
SSD 4Gb Hard DRive

So I want to run it as a 64 bit system does Linux support this and is it easy to sort this out?.

I have an externalt drive to use on it until I get a bigger SSD when I have some cash.........few months but I want to use it asap and play about with Linux if I can.

So what do I need to do is there just one version of Linux you load it up and away you go?, can you get drivers for everythin g OR drivers for the most popular pieces of hardware out there?.

How do you overwrite XP64 with the Linux software the unit doesnt have a cd drive YET !.

All help will be extrmely appreciated and please dont forget I am a total NOOB and have NEVER ever used Linux but look forward ot trying it with hopefully some patience from you guys if thats ok.

jammymutt, there are indeed 64-bit versions of linux. But there is not just one linux. I think the first thing you should do is visit distrowatch.com and review the many, many linux distributions available. Then try several of the live distros which you can boot from CD, or in your case - a flash drive, without installing to your hard drive. Once you decide which distro you like best then you can install it to your hard drive and, in most cases, set up dual boot easily if you want to keep the windows install.

Good luck and remember Linux is not Windows. They do the same things but in different ways. Be patient during your learning curve and you will be rewarded with a return of the computing experience to your hands the way you want it - not the way Microsoft decides.

Members online

Latest posts