Homebrew Win 10 powered PC, downloaded Ubuntu but, I can't get it to open

Bearhawke

Reaction score
Credits
My homebrew desktop PC; 450W power supply, Tuf B450M gaming MB, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Nvidea graphics card, 64 GB DDR4 RAM 2600(?), all four sticks I purchased together earlier this year, a liquid CPU cooler, which sure as hell looks like a car heater core.

Win 10, which I bought new, product key and all. Long story short; this system keeps going BSOD, both blue and black (blank). I downloaded the appropriate updates/drivers over the last few months and, they helped significantly but as of late, I'll catch at least one crash and auto system reboot per day.

I downloaded Ubuntu but, I can't get it to open. Now with Win 11 here, I simply don't trust anything from Microsoft anymore

A 450W power supply seems awful small for 64GB RAM and a discrete graphics card.
You might consider a 650-750. I have one system loaded up with so much stuff, it wont run
without an 850.

Interesting; I too suspected the power supply being too weak but, any of my prior machines seemed happy with even an 'on paper' undersized transformer.

Needless to say, I'd like to give Linux a chance but, reading between the lines, I 'may' be better off getting said 650W or bigger power supply first. Just what gets me is I'm not a gamer, just a web surfer but, I seem to have crashes while watching YouTube videos.

EVGA 750W Power Supply has been ordered, for less that $70 out the door, I'll give it a shot.

Side note; I ordered a Raspberry Pi micro computer a few days ago, which will be my back up, it comes with Linux

My homebrew desktop PC; 450W power supply, Tuf B450M gaming MB, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Nvidea graphics card, 64 GB DDR4 RAM 2600(?), all four sticks I purchased together earlier this year, a liquid CPU cooler, which sure as hell looks like a car heater core.

Win 10, which I bought new, product key and all. Long story short; this system keeps going BSOD, both blue and black (blank). I downloaded the appropriate updates/drivers over the last few months and, they helped significantly but as of late, I'll catch at least one crash and auto system reboot per day.

I downloaded Ubuntu but, I can't get it to open. Now with Win 11 here, I simply don't trust anything from Microsoft anymore
Assuming you used Windowz to make the USB stick for Ubuntu - what did you use to make it? belena Etcher works really well with Windowz to make a Linux USB intaller - https://www.balena.io/etcher/
Also make sure secure boot is off and fast boot as well

The best power supply for your PC build is the one that provides the right amount of wattage to all components simultaneously. Manually calculating this requires that you multiply the total amps of all components by the total volts of all components. The result is the total watts that your PC build requires

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you used Windowz to make the USB stick for Ubuntu - what did you use to make it? belena Etcher works really well with Windowz to make a Linux USB intaller - https://www.balena.io/etcher/
Also make sure secure boot is off and fast boot as well

I did a straight download from Linux, forgot all about using a USB stick. Note I'm not super computer literate.

Members online