How can I game on Linux?

Reaction score
Credits
I really want to switch to Linux but the biggest problem is that I am a gamer. I have a few games that I love but are only on Windows. How can I continue playing my games on Linux?

arochester's advice makes sense

You could dual boot Windows and Linux and switch between them
as necessary. Or you could use one and virtualise the other.

I'm not a gamer, but I have installed Steam on Linux and was surprised at all the games that are available. Using Chrome or Chromium, my wife can game on POGO just like she did with Win 7. Using Wine and Play on Linux I have gotten a few programs for windoze to run in Linux. Two of these programs are the latest version of Trillion for windows, and I have a security camera software for windows, Blue Iris, which runs just fine in Wine. I have 11 HD POE cameras connected to that server. It dual boots Win 10 with Mint Cinnamon, and my main desktop dual boots Win 7 with Mint Cinnamon.

THe problem I experienced with dual booting is that i ended up spending most of my time on windows because it had the tools i needed and linux was my luxury.

If you want to test linux out and just play with it, I recommend VM's. Install linux on a VM and that way your operating systems can co-exist simultaneously. My current setup a host linux machine with a windows VM for gaming, and a linux VM that im on right now talking to you through. This is an extremely complicated process but something you can achieve if linux is really something you want.

I just now notice your posting GardenData61371
I don't know if this is going to help or confuse you even more.

I have been struggling with this as well. I have found others that are making it work running any game they want on 1 form or another of Linux. I have yet to figure it out, I have tried the "Made for Gamers" distros to have them recommend updates to the install, going through the install with instructions for updates and installs with no success getting anything going.
I did finally get Steam - Play on Linux - Wine - Lutris to recognize each other, then I got the recommended VM to running and seeing each other which in turn got those to load windows game screen. But form that point is where everything kept going screwing for me. I would get error after error on loading the game title I play. I never could get past the game server screen it would stop and never finish loading the game server. Everything would simply time out and start over, I have yet to figure out how to get it to work.
I wish you the best of luck, because Steam / Play on Linux / Lutris gives you access to a huge library of playable games it just happened to be none I was interested in picking up and playing again.
There is a Post here on the Forum with the LINK to get a Linux Distro based on Ubuntu which is dedicated to Gamers titled Game Pack - which was the last distro I was messing with that actually worked. It had a full list of Windows Only games to play inside the VM you set up inside Play On Linux (PoL) after it is linked to run Steam in with the PoL addon titles from Windows would load in.
Just scroll the list of titles click install and play.
I seen games for WinMS 7 up through 10
Age of Empires all the way to World of Warcraft / with Counter Strike every title - Battlefield every title - there is even an emulator built in which allows for every title for Xbox and Playstation to be played as if it was made for Linux games.

I am not real good at calling Linux by the correct names or even getting the Distro names correct, but there is workable solutions out there from what I discovered.
What I have found with Linux is much like fast cars and hammers, they are fast just a couple are really fast, and hammers well it's a hammer does the color really matter to the nail.
Good Luck with your journey

P.S. in closing I found Ubuntu to be the most stable cross compatible with my all AMD set up / if you have an all Intel with Nvidia Graphics you will go much farther with the cross platform, cross builds working far far more drivers for everything. Some of the installs I did would only show Generic for my AMD graphics, so I would physically need to change it from default install.

P.S.S. Youtube is an understated resource of help with any problem you might encounter.

G'day all :)

Seriously, the best option available to the OP if he is prepared to try it on Ubuntu, is

wubiuefi

That is, if he has UEFI on his computer. Is that the case, @GardenData61371 ?

Wubi info can be found here

https://github.com/hakuna-m/wubiuefi/releases

... and there are seven (7) desktop environments that will run it.

Some benefits of it are that you can choose a size for your Ubuntu to allow for a bit of gaming, and that you can get the full performance allowed by your RAM.

No allocating 2 or 4 or 8 GB of your 4, 8 or 16GB Rig. If you have 16GB wubi runs on 16GB.

If you finish with it or don't like it, you delete the ubuntu folder, and two to three files, and hey presto your Windows is back to usual.

Have I used Wubi?

Yes, 7 years ago and 5 years ago, when it was just WUBI.

Have I installed it recently? Yes, in the last 6 months, install was seamless. This with Windows 10.

While wubi is on, it provides a basic Grub Menu featuring choice between Ubuntu and Windows.

WUBI stands for Windows UBuntu Installer.

Cheers

Wizard

have you tried WINE ??

I tried it once and had no joy at all

YEMV (your experience may vary)

I just installed Solus today and it worked like a charm for my game I had been having trouble getting to play on other Linux distro.
I just grabbed the Budgie desktop version because it was first in line.

https://getsol.us/home/

Good stuff !!!

I really want to switch to Linux but the biggest problem is that I am a gamer. I have a few games that I love but are only on Windows. How can I continue playing my games on Linux?
I am a big gamer. To tell you the truth, my Steam games run better in Linux. My processor runs a little hotter but my graphics card runs way better. NVidia has awesome support in linux. AMD Does not.

I game on my computer all the time, without dual booting. Steam has a relatively new tool called Steam Play, which uses Proton. Proton, I believe is a hacked version of Wine that allows you to play many of the Windows games it has available. Not every game works, but many of them do. You don't have to install Wine and then install the Windows version of Steam, just use the Linux version and enable Steam Play. Of course, Steam also offers many Linux native games as well.

I game on my computer all the time, without dual booting. Steam has a relatively new tool called Steam Play, which uses Proton. Proton, I believe is a hacked version of Wine that allows you to play many of the Windows games it has available. Not every game works, but many of them do. You don't have to install Wine and then install the Windows version of Steam, just use the Linux version and enable Steam Play. Of course, Steam also offers many Linux native games as well.
Can you please tell me more about this?

I'm assuming you have a Steam account with games for Windows owned thru it but not installed on Linux. So go to Synaptic and search on steam and install it. In your Library, you should see a small handful of yourWindows games that are already verified to work on Steam Play/Proton (Doom [4], Quake [1]) as well as games that have Linux ports (i.e. Bioshock Infinite, both Amnesia games and quite a few others). With this setting, there's just a small handful of Windows games that will show up. These are tried and true to run on Steam Play. If you click on one of the Windows games, next to the play/download button you'll see a remark about it running on Steam Play with a link, click the link (or go to the Steam menu, settings, Steam Play). In the top half is a check box saying to enable this, it's on by default. The bottom half says that you can enable it for all games, even those not verified. Do it. You'll need to restart and afterwards, you'll see all your purchased games. Doom 3:BFG works perfectly, as does FEAR 1 and 2 (but not 3 :( ). Fallout 4 works, but not great, 3 doesn't work at all). Unfortunately you'll have to experiment and find out which ones work and which ones don't. They have different versions of Proton available, some beta. I think I read that Valve plans on getting it so that all titles work eventually. Unlike our friends at WINE, Valve has money to throw at this and get it right. So I do believe one day we'll be playing all games on our Linux boxes. Hope I didn't insult you by over explaining. And I hope you have a good time gaming on your Linux box now.

Hi Guys ,

I m a gamer as well but in my option Linux cant handle any game that I play. Why's that ? I play old mmorpgs the hardcore ones who no one plays anymore and the problem is while your using wine or some other programs that open the game , the game security tells you to stop using cheats. Because if you open a game on windows it opens without any second programs .

So gaming on Linux can be hard, I got banned once .

I noticed that a game run via Linux (on my Laptop) is much slower then the same gam running on windows , but this might be my fault I could mess up some settings.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts