How can I go back to the previous whitespace character

R

RickS

For example, at the command line I have typed:

vi abc-efg_hij.efg

The cursor is at the end of the line. Esc-b takes me to the dot. Another esc-b takes me to the underscore. Another esc-b takes me back to the dash.

Is there something I can press that will take me from the end of the line to the space after "vi"?

What shell (csh. bash, tcsh, ...) and terminal (xterm, kterm, ...) are you using?

It works for me.

xterm.png

Did you try it with dashes, underscores and periods, like my "vi abc-efg_hij.efg" example?

en_US.UTF-8

Hmmm. Mine too. What distro? I am using Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy). I think it is some weird bug on your system. What if you tried reinstalling Xterm? Also, try using a different shell, like CSH. Just type "csh", "ksh", "tcsh", "ash", "dash", or what ever else you have. If the cursor moves back in a different shell within Xterm, then it is BASH, if not, then it is Xterm.

Thanks a lot for the help! Maybe somebody else who had the same issue will chime in.

Do the arrow keys work in other terminals to move the cursor (like konsole, gnome-terminal, etc.)?

Have you set your shellopts to emacs or vi? Execute this command to see:
Code:
set -o | egrep 'emacs|vi'
Emacs is on by default, so if you haven't changed it you can search backward for the space character.
CTRL-R <space>

To continue searching press CTRL-R again. Once you get to where you want to be, you have to stop the search before you start editing. You can do that with cursor movement keys (arrows, CTRL-F, CTRL-B, probably others).

If you're more comfortable with vi than emacs, you might experiment with this. I haven't tried it, but then I'm not comfortable with vi.
Code:
set -o vi

In shell:
CTRL -A - Will bring you to the beginning of the line.

In vi:
W and B (as opposed to w and b) will jump between words using only whitespace to differentiate and will ignore dots dashes and the like, which are used by the lower-case equivalents.

Not sure if that works on the command-line though with shellopts set to vi as i've never tried.
Essentially if you just wanted to use Ctrl commands you could use:
Ctrl - A - Beginning of line
Esc - F (or Ctrl - F x2) - Move forward one word (Ctrl F moves one letter)
Ctrl -K - Deletes everything after the cursor

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts