How Can I Stop Librewolf from Glitching, Freezing, and Crashing?

D

Deleted member 111282

I'm using Linux Mint version 21.1 and the Librewolf browser version 111. Sometimes when using Librewolf, the tabs hang and become unresponsive when I close them. Other times, the browser will suddenly freeze and close on itself. Starting a fresh browser session doesn't fix the problem, nor does uninstalling and reinstalling the browser. I also tried looking at the recommendations listed by Firefox, such as this one https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-crashes-closing-or-quitting, this one https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/warning-unresponsive-script, and this one https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-and-diagnose-firefox-problems, and that hasn't helped either. I haven't been getting any recent browser updates from the Mint repository.

I'm using Linux Mint version 21.1 and the Librewolf browser version 111. Sometimes when using Librewolf, the tabs hang and become unresponsive when I close them. Other times, the browser will suddenly freeze and close on itself. Starting a fresh browser session doesn't fix the problem, nor does uninstalling and reinstalling the browser. I also tried looking at the recommendations listed by Firefox, such as this one https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-crashes-closing-or-quitting, this one https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/warning-unresponsive-script, and this one https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-and-diagnose-firefox-problems, and that hasn't helped either. I haven't been getting any recent browser updates from the Mint repository.
Hey dude, sounds like you're having some gnarly issues with Librewolf. Let's see if we can get this sorted out for you.

First up, let's try creating a new profile for Librewolf to see if that helps. Try running the command below in your terminal:

Code:
librewolf --ProfileManager

This should bring up the Profile Manager for Librewolf. Try creating a new profile and see if the browser behaves better with the new profile.

If that doesn't work, we can try some more advanced troubleshooting steps. Here are a couple things you can try:

• Disable any add-ons you have installed, as they may be causing issues. You can do this by going to the Add-ons Manager in Librewolf and disabling them one by one.
  • Try running Librewolf in Safe Mode, which disables all add-ons and uses the default theme. You can do this by running the command below in your terminal:

Code:
  librewolf --safe-mode

- Check if there are any updates available for Librewolf. You may want to try installing the latest version from the official website if the repository version is outdated.

Let me know if any of these solutions work for you!

I tried copying and pasting librewolf --ProfileManager into the terminal, and it said librewolf: command not found. Then I tried disabling the add-ons, which worked fine until I went to https://www.bowflex.com/affiliate.html, and clicked on the link. Librewolf then froze and closed itself again. However, I didn't have that problem when recreating it using Firefox. Lastly, I tried copying and pasting librewolf --safe-mode into the terminal, and it also said librewolf: command not found. The respository version should be new because I just upgraded from Mint 21 to 21.1 last week.

Are you running FireJail? and Librewolf as a flatpak or appimage?

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried copying and pasting librewolf --ProfileManager into the terminal, and it said librewolf: command not found. Then I tried disabling the add-ons, which worked fine until I went to https://www.bowflex.com/affiliate.html, and clicked on the link. Librewolf then froze and closed itself again. However, I didn't have that problem when recreating it using Firefox. Lastly, I tried copying and pasting librewolf --safe-mode into the terminal, and it also said librewolf: command not found. The respository version should be new because I just upgraded from Mint 21 to 21.1 last week.
@TuxBot

@TuxBot
Hey dude, sorry about the delay in my response. To answer your question, no I am not running FireJail. Additionally, it looks like Librewolf is not installed on your system through the terminal. Check if you have Librewolf installed via your package manager, otherwise you may need to install it manually. If you have it installed through the package manager, try running the command with sudo sudo librewolf --ProfileManager. If it's still not found, try checking if the installation directory is in your system's PATH by running the command echo $PATH, which will print a list of directories that contain executables. If the Librewolf installation directory is not listed, you can add it to your PATH by running export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/Librewolf, where /path/to/Librewolf is the path where Librewolf is installed.

Hey dude, sorry about the delay in my response. To answer your question, no I am not running FireJail. Additionally, it looks like Librewolf is not installed on your system through the terminal. Check if you have Librewolf installed via your package manager, otherwise you may need to install it manually. If you have it installed through the package manager, try running the command with sudo sudo librewolf --ProfileManager. If it's still not found, try checking if the installation directory is in your system's PATH by running the command echo $PATH, which will print a list of directories that contain executables. If the Librewolf installation directory is not listed, you can add it to your PATH by running export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/Librewolf, where /path/to/Librewolf is the path where Librewolf is installed.

It was installed using the package manager. When I pasted those commands into terminal, this happened: oem@David:~$ sudo librewolf --ProfileManager [sudo] password for oem: sudo: librewolf: command not found oem@David:~$ echo $PATH /home/oem/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin oem@David:~$ export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/Librewolf oem@David:~$

It was installed using the package manager. When I pasted those commands into terminal, this happened: oem@David:~$ sudo librewolf --ProfileManager [sudo] password for oem: sudo: librewolf: command not found oem@David:~$ echo $PATH /home/oem/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin oem@David:~$ export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/Librewolf oem@David:~$
Ah, it looks like Librewolf is not in your system's PATH. To fix this, we need to add the location of the executable to your PATH by replacing [/path/to/Librewolf] below with the actual path to the Librewolf executable.

Code:
export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/Librewolf

Once you have done that, try running the command again.

Code:
sudo librewolf --ProfileManager

And see if that works.

It didn't
Okay, let's try this - can you run the command below to find out where Librewolf is actually installed on your system?

Code:
whereis librewolf

This should output the location where Librewolf is installed, for example "/usr/bin/librewolf". Then you can run the command to open the profile manager like this:

Code:
sudo /usr/bin/librewolf --ProfileManager

This should work even if Librewolf is not in your system's PATH. Let me know if this works for you!

This should output the location where Librewolf is installed, for example "/usr/bin/librewolf".

When I did that, I got this response:
oem@David:~$ whereis librewolf librewolf: oem@David:~$

When I did that, I got this response:
oem@David:~$ whereis librewolf librewolf: oem@David:~$
Hmm, it looks like Librewolf might not have been installed properly on your system.

Try reinstalling it using the command below:

Code:
sudo apt-get install librewolf

This should reinstall the package on your system. Once the installation is complete, try opening the Profile Manager again with the command:

Code:
sudo librewolf --ProfileManager

And see if it works for you.

Hmm, it looks like Librewolf might not have been installed properly on your system.
Just so we're on the same page, are you saying when I tried installing it as a flatpak in the package manager, it was somehow corrupted? And if I install it using sudo apt-get install librewolf, it make a difference in how it's installed?

Just so we're on the same page, are you saying when I tried installing it as a flatpak in the package manager, it was somehow corrupted? And if I install it using sudo apt-get install librewolf, it make a difference in how it's installed?
I apologize for any confusion. My previous response was incorrect - I misunderstood your message.

It seems that Librewolf is not available in the official repositories for Linux Mint. You may have installed it from a third-party repository or manually, which may be the cause of the issue.

I would recommend completely removing Librewolf and then reinstalling it. You can do this by running:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove librewolf
sudo apt-get autoremove

Once you have done that, you can try reinstalling Librewolf using the tarball available on the official website.

To do that, download the tarball from the official website:

https://librewolf-community.gitlab.io/download/

After downloading, extract it to a directory of your choice:

Code:
tar xvfz librewolf*.tar.gz

Navigate to the directory where you extracted the tarball and run the binary:

Code:
./librewolf/librewolf

This should launch Librewolf. Additionally, you can create a launcher for Librewolf by right-clicking on your desktop and selecting "Create Launcher". Fill in the necessary information, making sure to set the command to the location where you extracted Librewolf (i.e. /path/to/librewolf/librewolf).

Once you have done that, you can try reinstalling Librewolf using the tarball available on the official website.
There is none. You have install it from the Debian repo.

There is none. You have install it from the Debian repo.
Ah, I see. My apologies for the confusion. In that case, you can try running the following commands to reinstall Librewolf:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get --reinstall install librewolf

This should reinstall Librewolf and attempt to fix any issues with the installation. After the installation is complete, you can try launching the Profile Manager again:

Code:

And see if it works now. Let me know if you have any issues or if this resolves the problem.

Ah, I see. My apologies for the confusion. In that case, you can try running the following commands to reinstall Librewolf:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get --reinstall install librewolf

This should reinstall Librewolf and attempt to fix any issues with the installation. After the installation is complete, you can try launching the Profile Manager again:

Code:

And see if it works now. Let me know if you have any issues or if this resolves the problem.

I reinstalled librewolf, created a profile, and tried out the website that was known for causing it to freeze and crash. Everything's working fine now. Thanks for all of your help! :D

I reinstalled librewolf, created a profile, and tried out the website that was known for causing it to freeze and crash. Everything's working fine now. Thanks for all of your help! :D
You're welcome, dude! I'm glad to hear that everything is working fine now. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need any more help. Have a great day!

Reactions: Rob

Members online