How Do I Get A Slideshow Screensaver for Cinnamon 21.1?

Hi Snort,
Rather than tell you how to get a Desktop Slideshow...I'll show you...
1. Create a Folder in the Home folder...I'll call it Slideshow and put in your pics etc and close it and the Home Folder.
2023-06-07-09-03.png

2. Right click on a blank space on the Desktop and choose Change Desktop Background...you'll now see this window...
2023-06-07-09-04.png

Click the "+" sign...this takes you to the Home Folder...
3. Choose your folder and click Open as shown...
2023-06-07-09-04-1.png

4. You'll be taken to this window...
2023-06-07-09-05.png

now click Slideshow...you'll now see your pics...
2023-06-07-09-06.png

5. Now click Settings and you'll see this...click the top box as shown...you can adjust the delay to what you like.
2023-06-07-09-07.png

I did this in Virtualbox...as you can see the Background has changed in image 5...anyway hope this helps.
m1213.gif
Okay Bob. Thank you for taking time to help me with this. I'm trying not to get frustrated here. So I when I get to step 3, it is different than your example, nonetheless I get a menu of folders. My "pictures" folder is on left side, but menu does not give me that option. Pics are on desktop folder and I click on that thinking I need to open that. It says on top "add folder" but pics folder is NOT among options. But it is on left. Playing backgrounds is "checked". So that is okay. Okay, Breaking News!! I think I got it!!! Have no idea what I did. But pics are now showing up in screen saver!!! Yippy!! So is there a way to adjust speed? I may come back but I think I got it!! Whewwwwww. Well, maybe I don't have it. Let it set for a minute w/o touching it and it went to clock on desktop.

Hi Snort,
Yours is different because your Pics Folder is on the Desktop...mine is in the Home folder...don't get confused with the Pictures Folder in Home. Your Desktop Slideshow delay time can be adjusted in step 5...Delay (minutes) use plus or minus to get it to what you want.
Here's my Wall Paper Folder in the Home Folder showing in Backgrounds...I don't have a Slideshow.
2023-06-21-18-37.png

m1212.gif

Last edited:
Also, Snort, if you start a separate thread on changing your username (spelling) we can assist.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hi Snort,
Yours is different because your Pics Folder is on the Desktop...mine is in the Home folder...don't get confused with the Pictures Folder in Home. Your Desktop Slideshow delay time can be adjusted in step 5...Delay (minutes) use plus or minus to get it to what you want.
Here's my Wall Paper Folder in the Home Folder showing in Backgrounds...I don't have a Slideshow.
2023-06-21-18-37.png

m1212.gif
Thank you Bob for your assistance. I have a screen saver. Have no idea what I did at step 3, but I set it for 1 minute and Wha-laa! It was there. But I still have a couple of questions.
First, I wanted to know how I control the resolution (contrast/brightness of images). It has a dim look to it. Second, how can I control speed? Its really slower than with Mint 19.1. Third and final thing, I found how to shut off clock, but there is a small window of an active tab on internet that shuffels around screen. Is there a way to shut that off or do I simply have to close tab? And my wallpaper image is dim too.

I didn't mean to confuse you. Sorry if I did. I'm dealing with 2 different issues. So I'm working on screensaver at the first. Not a problem with logging in. Dude who set this up spelled my name wrong too. Anyway, I'm addressing this as best I can as I've been busy with medical stuff. Have been avoiding this since I have been frustrated with many things. I'm calm enough at the moment to see if I can get this scrnsaver thing fixed. Doing the best I can.

Hi Snort,
Rather than tell you how to get a Desktop Slideshow...I'll show you...
1. Create a Folder in the Home folder...I'll call it Slideshow and put in your pics etc and close it and the Home Folder.
2023-06-07-09-03.png

2. Right click on a blank space on the Desktop and choose Change Desktop Background...you'll now see this window...
2023-06-07-09-04.png

Click the "+" sign...this takes you to the Home Folder...
3. Choose your folder and click Open as shown...
2023-06-07-09-04-1.png

4. You'll be taken to this window...
2023-06-07-09-05.png

now click Slideshow...you'll now see your pics...
2023-06-07-09-06.png

5. Now click Settings and you'll see this...click the top box as shown...you can adjust the delay to what you like.
2023-06-07-09-07.png

I did this in Virtualbox...as you can see the Background has changed in image 5...anyway hope this helps.
m1213.gif
Okay, I'm back with this confusing scenario. I picked a photo as wallpaper. After a minute of idle time, it went to wallpaper instead of screen saver on desktop. Why did it do this? Umm, I went to look at settings and switch was unchecked. Never mind. False alarm.

Last edited:
You want a Desktop Slideshow don't you ? all you need to do is follow my instructions.

You picked a photo as wallpaper...so you right clicked on the Desktop and selected Change Desktop Background...which changes your background to the picture you selected.
m1213.gif

You want a Desktop Slideshow don't you ? all you need to do is follow my instructions.

You picked a photo as wallpaper...so you right clicked on the Desktop and selected Change Desktop Background...which changes your background to the picture you selected.
m1213.gif
Yes, I was looking for a slideshow. but I didn't understand why it sat on wallpaper when I knew it was working yesterday. So I went to look at settings and button was off. Don't know why. Its highlighted now. I won't pester you with any more questions tonight. I'm going to watch some old football game highlights. Enjoy your evening.
ukraine.gif