How Do I Get A Slideshow Screensaver for Cinnamon 21.1?

Snort McDork

Reaction score
Credits
I just upgraded from Mint thinking there would be similarities. But I'm not finding them. I wanted to have some photos as the screensaver like I did in Mint. So do I have to download something? I'm getting frustrated with this, but trying not to. The guy who installed this version also did not tell me how I can change my password and spelled my name wrong. I would like to fix these. But I would really love to have my photos utilized as a screensaver like I did before.
Your help is appreciated.

There should be a screen in the system settings which is called "Users and Passwords" or "Manage Users" or something like that. There you should be able to change the "pen" name of your regular user, and the password that is related. Less easy is to change the handle of your regular user because it requires a new directory created under "/home".

This is a bit more technical:

To get some information about your user type at the terminal:

Code:
passwd -S (user)

Where "(user)" (without double-quotation marks) is the handle of your regular user's account. It's not very useful.

You could give the "passwd" command by itself to change the password for your regular user's account. It should report that you're changing the password for the account you're on currently, which is the one for your regular user. First type in the password you don't want anymore and press ENTER. Then type the password you want from that point forward for your account and press ENTER. Then type and enter it again so it becomes official.

To change the "pen" name of your user then at the terminal you could type:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/passwd

Then type and enter your password. Then it will launch Nano and will give you the chance to edit a system file. Be careful! Go to the last line of the file. See if you recognize what is the handle of your regular user, and what is the "pen" name. Where the "pen" name is between colons, just change it to what you want. Press CTRL+O and ENTER, then CTRL+X and ENTER, and you're done.

In Linux Mint Cinnamon...

1. Right click on desktop and choose "Change Desktop Background"

2. Choose your Pictures folder on the left, or click the + sign on the lower left to add a different folder for your backgrounds

3. At the top, click on the Settings tab, and click the toggle switch to enable "Play backgrounds as a slideshow" (also adjust the delay and random order settings to your liking)

Your password question should be in a different thread with its own title as it is totally unrelated to your slideshow screensaver thread title. Keeping thread subjects separate helps others to find solutions to their related problems. Good luck!

OP,

I think you mean Desktop Slideshow...if that's the case...do as atanere suggests.
m1212.gif

Changing your User Password that you know is easy...involves just a few Terminal commands...however changing a User Password you don't know or have forgotten is much harder especially for a beginner...how are your Linux skills ?

You could get the guy who installed the Distro to change the Password to what you like and write it down so you don't forget it.
m1212.gif

I think you mean Desktop Slideshow...if that's the case...do as atanere suggests.
Oops! I sure missed that one! Thanks for the clarification, Bob!

This project on GitHub might work, but I've not tested it. There are other script tools he provides besides the screensaver.

Xscreensaver also might work (available in Synaptic). You'll also need to install xscreensaver-gl to get the GL Slideshow option.

There may be others. Good luck!

Oops! I sure missed that one! Thanks for the clarification, Bob!

I think that's what the OP means...I'm wondering how the OP can use the computer without a password ?
t1827.gif

As we all know there's many things you need a password to do...Logging In is just one of them which happens to be the most important one.
m1213.gif

I'm wondering how the OP can use the computer without a password ?

They're using a guest account, maybe?

The computer is configured to log in automatically, maybe?

That'd maybe explain that?

They're using a guest account, maybe?

The computer is configured to log in automatically, maybe?

That'd maybe explain that?

Yes I did think of this and I know you can install Mint without a Login Password but why would you...I never have for obvious reasons. If that were the case...why would op be worried about the password.
m09002.gif

why would op be worried about the password

Because they still need the password for other things, like performing updates or installing software.

Again, this is just all speculation as to why they'd not know the password. However, my initial read of their post was that they knew the password - just not how to change it. Given OP's lack of response, I don't have a clue what's really going on.

Remember, too folks, what @atanere (formerly a Moderator of great experience... still has the experience, lol) said

Your password question should be in a different thread with its own title as it is totally unrelated to your slideshow screensaver thread title. Keeping thread subjects separate helps others to find solutions to their related problems.

So best not to muddy the waters here with more speculation on passwords.

Cheers

Wizard

I knew how to answer about the password but not about the other thing, after I saw the OP posting in a different thread (started many years ago) and was told there to start a new one. But that's all I have to say about that. Please don't scream at me anymore...

I was commenting to Helpers (including Staff) who had posted since #3, Wendy. That does not include you and I was certainly not screaming.

If the OP is able to take advantage of what you posted at #2 in the Spoiler, well and good.

Let's leave it at that.

Cheers

Wizard

OP,

m1212.gif

Changing your User Password that you know is easy...involves just a few Terminal commands...however changing a User Password you don't know or have forgotten is much harder especially for a beginner...how are your Linux skills ?

You could get the guy who installed the Distro to change the Password to what you like and write it down so you don't forget it.
m1212.gif
Okay, I found "Change desktop" link, right clicked, found pictures folder I want to use, but it won't go as screensaver. I highlighted it, but it keeps defaulting to some TV icon called "Vanessa" which is systems folder of pics. I want to use my folder-not Vanessa. As for the guy that installed this, I called him and asked how to do this, but he was a jerk to me and eating, making all kinds of disgusting smaking noises while talking to me. Wanted me to bring tower back to charge me another $90. I'm disabled. Thats out of the question. Yes, I'm a beginner, but have been a Linux guy for past 3 years. I try to do stuff on my own, but the terminology really confuses me. So why is it not accepting my folder if I have it highlighted?

There should be a screen in the system settings which is called "Users and Passwords" or "Manage Users" or something like that. There you should be able to change the "pen" name of your regular user, and the password that is related. Less easy is to change the handle of your regular user because it requires a new directory created under "/home".

This is a bit more technical:

To get some information about your user type at the terminal:

Code:
passwd -S (user)

Where "(user)" (without double-quotation marks) is the handle of your regular user's account. It's not very useful.

You could give the "passwd" command by itself to change the password for your regular user's account. It should report that you're changing the password for the account you're on currently, which is the one for your regular user. First type in the password you don't want anymore and press ENTER. Then type the password you want from that point forward for your account and press ENTER. Then type and enter it again so it becomes official.

To change the "pen" name of your user then at the terminal you could type:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/passwd

Then type and enter your password. Then it will launch Nano and will give you the chance to edit a system file. Be careful! Go to the last line of the file. See if you recognize what is the handle of your regular user, and what is the "pen" name. Where the "pen" name is between colons, just change it to what you want. Press CTRL+O and ENTER, then CTRL+X and ENTER, and you're done.
Yes, this looks a bit intimating and I'll need some time to study this. Users and passwords is not in my system settings nor is manage users. I think your referring to Mint 19 which is what I had before and believe is with that OS.

It doesn't matter what version of Linux Mint or even what distribution, the terminal commands are common for all Linux. Linux is one operating system with many different "flavors", looks, tastes etc.

It's strange because I just installed Spiral Cinnamon and moved it up to "Bookworm" standards. In the system settings there is a section called "Users and Passwords" which should be enough to change the user name (the "pen" name not the "home" folder handle) and password without visiting the terminal. I think somebody more familiar with later Linux Mint or with Cinnamon D.E. could help fill in the blanks here.

EDIT: please see the next post.

Last edited:

You press that "plus" sign button. Navigate to find the folder which has your pictures. Press "Open" button at the bottom of the dialog or press ENTER. Then make sure you choose your folder so it's highlighted, and not any of the other ones listed.

Then from the screenshot above you pick "Settings" button. Then make sure the switch is ON, for the first option from the top.

"Attach files" widget on this site doesn't work. I'm sorry I have to do it this way instead.

Okay, I found "Change desktop" link, right clicked, found pictures folder I want to use, but it won't go as screensaver.
I apologize for the confusion I started in Post #3. Wendy and I are giving you info on "Desktop slideshow" options which is not the same as the "screensaver" you are asking for. "Desktop slideshow" changes your desktop wallpaper every so many minutes, and it is built into Linux Mint Cinnamon, as we described.

Cinnamon has a screensaver built in also, but it does not provide the slideshow feature you want, so you will have to install other software. I gave you two suggestions above in Post #5. You can probably get one of these to work.

Some other Linux distros will likely have a slideshow screensaver built in and ready to go, but I don't know which ones offhand. This issue may or may not be so important to you as to cause you to switch distros, but maybe some folks can tell you which ones have that feature, or maybe offer some other solutions.

I'm also running Linux Mint Cinnamon, and I just downloaded, installed and tested the GitHub script I mentioned above. It works in conjunction with the built in Cinnamon screensaver, but there are some quirks.

1. The time delay to start screensaver is set in the built in Cinnamon Screensaver app.

2. The only way to edit the slideshow controls is in the file ~/.local/bin/lock_screen_slideshow.sh --- you must edit this file after installing the script to change SLIDESHOW_DIR="the path to your pictures" --- and also set SLIDESHOW_RANDOM (true or false) --- and set INTERVAL= how many seconds before the pictures switch. Save your changes.

3. May be important: Although this screensaver works, when it kicks in on my desktop system, it also drastically dims the screen (probably about 50%). I can't find a control to change this, and it's annoying to me, but maybe you would not mind that as bad as long as you get the slideshow screensaver to work. Or maybe it will not dim on your computer like it does on mine.

I understand that you're not an expert with Linux, so I've also simplified the GitHub instructions to show you only the commands needed to install this slideshow screensaver script. The instructions on GitHub are far more complex because the author provides many other Cinnamon scripts and capabilities. I have not tested those, only this screensaver.

How to download and install the the slideshow screensaver script only:

Code:
sudo apt install git

Code:
git clone https://github.com/smurphos/nemo_actions_and_cinnamon_scripts.git

Code:
mkdir -p ~/.local/bin

Code:
cp -r ./nemo_actions_and_cinnamon_scripts/.local/bin/lock_screen_slideshow.sh ~/.local/bin

Code:
cp -r ./nemo_actions_and_cinnamon_scripts/.config/autostart/lock_screen_slideshow.desktop ~/.config/autostart

Code:
xdg-open ~/.local/bin/lock_screen_slideshow.sh

That last command opens the script in a text editor so you can make necessary changes (set your photo directory path, etc).

Logout and log back in, and it should be working.

I strongly suggest you copy and paste the commands above to prevent any typing mistakes.

If this seems like too much for you, then you might try installing the Xscreensaver app from your Synaptic Package Manager, as I also suggested above. If you choose that route, you may need to disable or uninstall the built in Cinnamon screensaver to prevent conflict.

Good luck!

Hi Snort,
Rather than tell you how to get a Desktop Slideshow...I'll show you...
1. Create a Folder in the Home folder...I'll call it Slideshow and put in your pics etc and close it and the Home Folder.
2023-06-07-09-03.png

2. Right click on a blank space on the Desktop and choose Change Desktop Background...you'll now see this window...
2023-06-07-09-04.png

Click the "+" sign...this takes you to the Home Folder...
3. Choose your folder and click Open as shown...
2023-06-07-09-04-1.png

4. You'll be taken to this window...
2023-06-07-09-05.png

now click Slideshow...you'll now see your pics...
2023-06-07-09-06.png

5. Now click Settings and you'll see this...click the top box as shown...you can adjust the delay to what you like.
2023-06-07-09-07.png

I did this in Virtualbox...as you can see the Background has changed in image 5...anyway hope this helps.
m1213.gif

I think that's what the OP means...I'm wondering how the OP can use the computer without a password ?
t1827.gif

As we all know there's many things you need a password to do...Logging In is just one of them which happens to be the most important one.
m1213.gif
I didn't mean to confuse you. Sorry if I did. I'm dealing with 2 different issues. So I'm working on screensaver at the first. Not a problem with logging in. Dude who set this up spelled my name wrong too. Anyway, I'm addressing this as best I can as I've been busy with medical stuff. Have been avoiding this since I have been frustrated with many things. I'm calm enough at the moment to see if I can get this scrnsaver thing fixed. Doing the best I can.

Staff online

Members online