How do I get started with Linux

How do I download the linux OS ?

Linux is the Core of an OS if you wish to download a Full distribution . then you have the choice of over 500,
what you choose may be limited by the age of your equipment [there are only a few who still support 32 bit instructions]
so tell us more,
what make model is your computer?
what is your intended use? [server /general home use / buisness use /gaming /etc]
with this information we can give you a few ideas what may suit you.

To download is simple you go to the distribution website find the download link and click on,
once you have downloaded you need to BURN an installation medium [this is normaly on a 16gb pendrive, but on older machines you may need to to use a DVD]
when you download check the MDsum of your download with that given on the download site.. if the two match you then burn a bootable drive.
when you have done this you need to put the medium into the computer and re-boot hopefully it will pick up the medium, [but if not you will need to change the boot options]
on most [but not all] distributions when it boots in , it will run LIVE in your RAM. this is where yo get the chance to fully test out your chosen distribution [note it will not run at full speed during a live session]
to install from the home page open the link "install" and follow the instructions.
when installing one of the questions will be ...do you want to load/include non-fee/proprietary drivers..say yes

Which particular one?

Linux Mint?

What is your pc?....specs?

maybe start a new thread- something like " prakash - getting started with Linux"
First you state what hardware you have to play with ; thats the ones if you drop on your toe it hurts !
Then you then go and read up on the basic outline process of installing linux .Post your plan something like .

1) i decided to go for Mint
2) I searched for Mint and fond it here....
3) I think I can download it using ...
4) I think I will use a usb for install medium

That will show your prepared to do some work. others on here seeing that will be glad to oblige with your journey

There are many tutorials on the web of how to choose and install Linux Distros.
Here's one that may be of help to you.

@kc1di i think thats misleading on Arch

Arch is a lightweight and flexible Linux distribution driven 100% by the community. Similar to Debian, Arch uses a rolling release model so incremental updates eventually become the Stable release. You really need to get your hands dirty to understand the system and its functions, but in turn you get complete and total control of your system.

English makes it clear as mud ! Similar to Debian (not a good start to a sentence) Debian has actual releases to my knowledge ; technically Arch Doesn't. Also at any point Arch is stable- its implying Arch isn't stable then the updates become stable. Actually i think the whole paragraph is nonsense and the narration is like Blue Peter talking to kids - hey rookie (how dare you call me that !)

@kc1di i think thats misleading on Arch

English makes it clear as mud ! Similar to Debian (not a good start to a sentence) Debian has actual releases to my knowledge ; technically Arch Doesn't. Also at any point Arch is stable- its implying Arch isn't stable then the updates become stable. Actually i think the whole paragraph is nonsense and the narration is like Blue Peter talking to kids - hey rookie (how dare you call me that !)
It may be miss leading but then I most likely would not recommend Arch to a newbie like this. Still think op will get enough info to make an informed choice.

Linux is the kernel. A full operating system is in the different distributions. Since I'm guessing you're new to the whole Linux thing, here are my beginner recommendations

It all matters too what you want to do with your computer. Fedora is good for business and school, Ubuntu for an all around stable desktop and day to day usage, and Manjaro is good for having a stable experience while also having a larger selection of applications and packages to install. But if you want fuller details, I recommend doing a little researching around. It helps with figuring pros and cons of distros.

Members online