How do I import browser configs from different distro?

Halvor Raknes

Reaction score
Credits
I have had to install Ubuntu 20.04LTS since my Mint 19.3 wouldn't boot.

How can I copy all the config files, including bookmarks, passwords, etc. for my browsers (Firefox, Brave) from the Mint partition to the Ubuntu partition?

You can export the bookmarks on most browsers and add them to another. But on Brave you can create a sync chain and sync all your settings between devices. And for Fifrefox you can create a Firefix sync account.

I'm sorry, but you are addressing issues I don't have.

To be clear, I need to import. I cannot export.

Firefox stores your user's information in ~/.mozilla/firefox and I think Brave stores it in ~/.config/BraveSoftware . Copy those to an external drive and the reinstall and copy them to your new installation, other important user configuration files are also stored in ~/.config so if you have another other configurations you don't want to redo you might as well create a tarball of that whole directory.
Code:
tar -czf /mnt/external_drive/home_config.tar.gz ~/.config
Or you can also include Firefox if you create tarball
Code:
tar -czf /mnt/external_drive/home_config.tar.gz ~/.config ~/.mozilla

Last edited:
To add to the above, I do this all the time. You can generally take the ~/.config (or ~/ files and transfer them to a new OS. I usually install the application in question and then copy the configuration files over and save myself countless hours.

This won't always work if there's a major change in software version, such as an old version of Thunderbird with a new version of Thunderbird. To do that, you'd have to upgrade Thunderbird on the new system.

Members online