How do I rum vmware-uninstall-tools.pl on Ubuntu?

Xarzu

Reaction score
Credits
How do I rum vmware-uninstall-tools.pl on Ubuntu?

On a Windows 10 OS, I have been using VMware to set up a vitrual machine (because of some strange security concerns with the company, I can not use Hyper-V) and I am using Ubuntu as the OS for the virtual machine.

VMware requires that I run their file, "VMware Tools" and this is the result I get:

The installation of VMware Tools 10.3.23 build-16594550 for Linux completed successfully, you can decide to remove this software from your system at any time by invoking the following command: "/usr/bin/vmware-uninstall-tools.pl".

Before running VMware tools for the first time, you need to configure it by involing the following command: "/usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl". Do you want this program to invoke the command for you now? [yes]

INPUT: [yes] default

sh: 1: /usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl: Permission denied Enjoy,

--the VMware Team

Despite this snaky tone, this is the actual message I get after running the vmware-tools file.

Then when I try running vmware-config-tools.pl, I get a "Permission denied" message. Please advise or ask any clarifying questions.

Have you tried putting 'sudo' in front of the command and then entering your password when requested?

(Note: No characters will show when you type your password. You're still typing it, they're just not showing it. This is intentional.)

Putting "sudo perl" before the file name made some progress.

Hmm... You shouldn't need perl in there. I never bother with VMware's tools, and spend far more time with VirtualBox.

What are the permissions of "/usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl"? You don't need the official vmware tools, you can also just use open-vm-tools.

Hmm... You shouldn't need perl in there. I never bother with VMware's tools, and spend far more time with VirtualBox.

If I'm running a VM or 2 on my workstation I prefer VirtualBox.
If I'm running a Type 1 Hypervisor on bare metal, I prefer Proxmox or VMware.

VMware running on it's own server, work's pretty good (especially if you're running vShphere).
But vmwarePlayer hasn't worked for me very good.

Members online