How do I upgrade?

paultimy

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

everytime I turn on my netbook this message appears. I am new to Linux so I am not sure what to do. I went to Ubuntu.com/download, but I couldn't find how to reinstall. Can someone help me?
2020-10-06-170741_1024x600_scrot.png

What is the output of:

Code:
lsb_release -a

(Open the terminal, paste that code, copy/paste the output.)

Hmm... So, you have Lubuntu 18.04. I have (almost - mine is 64 bit) the exact same OS on this computer.

However, you have a 32 bit OS installed. You have the last of the official Ubuntu LTS 32 bit OSes.

I do not get that message, so I think it's safe to conclude that it's a 32 bit-only message. I didn't dig through blog posts, but there was probably some sort of announcement leading up to this. It seems to indicate that there will be no more official 32 bit support.

So, the next logical question is:

Does your hardware support 64 bit?

If it does, and you want to stick with Ubuntu, download a 64 bit OS. If you like Lubuntu, that's at https://lubuntu.me.

If your hardware doesn't support 64 bit, then I suggest moving away from the Ubuntu family of flavors. A light 32 bit OS can be something like MX Linux - which is really quite a nice OS.

It appears that you are using Lubuntu 18.04 and therefore no upgrade path is available to Lubuntu 20.04 due to the fact that Lubuntu 18.04 is GTK based and Lubuntu 20.04 LXQT is QT based.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

No upgrade from Lubuntu 18.04 to Lubuntu 20.04

Normally, you can upgrade Ubuntu from one LTS to another LTS release. But Lubuntu team advises not to upgrade from Lubuntu 18.04 to 20.04. They recommend a fresh install and rightly so.

Lubuntu 18.04 used LXDE desktop while 20.04 uses LXQt. Due to the extensive changes in the desktop environments, upgrading to 20.04 from 18.04 will result in a broken system.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copy and paste this command in the terminal and press enter.

inxi -Fxz

Copy and paste the output to a post to show what system hardware you have so it can be determined if your system can run 64 bit Linux.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you enter the above command and no out put displays then copy and paste

sudo apt install inxi

press enter and then enter your password and press enter.

Ok... Does Lubuntu 20.04 support 32 bit? If so I will do a fresh install, if not I will try MX linux.
Thank you

Yeah, according to this link, the Intel Atom N270 32 bit. DistroWatch will let you search by architecture, though MX Linux is pretty good for older hardware. MX Linux lists them as '386' for their downloads, as memory serves. Other distros may call it other things, including 'legacy' in their ISO name.

Before you move along, I'd like you to read this link:

Take a look there, start poking around and reading, and make an informed choice about which distro is going to suit you the best. You'll have to find something light, just to make it usable. You'll have very little RAM and a slow, older CPU. So, pick what's best for you.

You can also go to DistroTest and even try some of them.

Find what works best for you. It's kinda like buying shoes. You're going to be wearing them often, so you might as well get the pair that fits you best.

At said link, it's safe to ignore the ones in the official Ubuntu family. They'll have no further 32 bit support beyond their 18.04 versions, just like the Lubuntu you have installed.

I probably should have mentioned that above. My bad.

I recommend LXLE.

32 bit iso download
based on Ubuntu 18.04.3
supported until 2023

You can always try archlinux32 or manjaro(select the flavor then from there you can choose to download the 32 bit version), rolling release so always supported because you constantly update to the most recent packages.

**Edit: I forgot that Ubuntu 20.04 doesn't have a 32 bit version**

Last edited:
Many, but not all, Linux and BSD distros are moving away from 32 bit architectures. I have a great Toshiba laptop that is 32bit, but when I checked DistroWatch a couple of days ago, there were still about 40 - 50 Linux and BSDs that will work with our older gems.