How do I watch videos in articles and sites not YouTube

Artb

Reaction score
Credits
I'm using Ubuntu 22.04 and I have WINE installed and I don't understand how to use this to download and use Windows Media Player to watch videos that are not on YouTube or Rumble. I want to watch ones that are on Twitter, Instagram, Vidmax, whatfinger.com, and videos that have links inside articles. Can someone explain to me what I need to install to watch these videos? I'm a beginner and don't understand very technical explanations which is why I'm asking here because I can't follow the answers I get when I ask on the internet. Please help me because I hate Windows and don't like using it for anything but I have to use it to watch the videos I mentioned.

Is there a reason you're running Windows Media Player, rather than using the browser that came in Ubuntu? I don't tend to have any problems watching videos in Firefox. I can even use Firefox to watch DRM content like Netflix without a hitch.

G'day Artb, Welcome to Linux.org

Well, you must have some 'smarts' going for you !.....You have 22.04 installed and running....and that is a really good start !!

To watch videos on the sites you mention and many others, they should simply open by clicking on them. There is definitely no need for windows media player

In other words the browser you are using will open them

No need for youtube either.

Tell us which browser you are using.....and any other details that you think may be pertinent.

(personally, I would forget about wine...it is usually a right royal pain in the butt)

I hate Windows and don't like using it for anything but I have to use it to watch the videos I mentioned.
You have come to the right place.

You can use Ubuntu exclusively with absolutely no problems, and no need at all to use wine.

(the only exception to this ....is some programs will only run in windows. There is a site called : https://alternativeto.net/ ....which has alternatives for almost all apps/programs which people may use.)

One of the hardest lessons to learn in Linux is how to navigate around the various subjects/forums etc

Just KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS here....there is no limit.....and there are no stupid questions.....if you dont understand or know....just ask.

The people here are largely friendly and non judgemental.

I'm using Ubuntu 22.04 and I have WINE installed and I don't understand how to use this to download and use Windows Media Player to watch videos that are not on YouTube or Rumble. I want to watch ones that are on Twitter, Instagram, Vidmax, whatfinger.com, and videos that have links inside articles. Can someone explain to me what I need to install to watch these videos? I'm a beginner and don't understand very technical explanations which is why I'm asking here because I can't follow the answers I get when I ask on the internet. Please help me because I hate Windows and don't like using it for anything but I have to use it to watch the videos I mentioned.
Thank you for all the help. I was using Opera and didn't know that Firefox would open them. Thanks again, Art

No problem
You can also use chrome, brave, vivaldi etc etc

The most secure of these browsers is probably Brave Browser

if you need to know more.....Ask.

didn't know that Firefox would open them
You will have to enable DRM in the settings, and if you use an add blocker or similar some sites will need white listing, and just check ffmpeg is installed in ubuntu

Members online

Latest posts