How do you specifically install a GTK-PPP tar.gz in Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Vicktoria

Reaction score
Credits
Hello Friends. New agenda. Still trying for a front end GUI for wvdial. I have GTK zip downloaded. I just don't know the terminal code to get it installed.

Where should I unzip it?

How do I get it installed from there?

As alays you all are greatly appreciated.

Unless we straight up do the work for you, we likely have no idea as none of us use dial-up and haven't for a long time. But, extract the contents to a folder and see what the 'README' says, or what other clues you can find.

The answer is in my reply. Do that.

You don't just have a magical command that installs from tar.gz. We have no idea what's inside it. The authors may have any number of ways to install it with the contents inside the file.

Thanks for the suggestion. Read Me file had no installation direction. I'll continue to see what i can find about tar.gz file installation.

It's a compressed file. you need to open it with archive manager then extract it to say your /home directory. After that you will need to cd to the file in a terminal and then configure the package and make it and make install it. It not a binary package that can be installed directly.
The commands are
Code:
./configure
make
sudo make install
But gtk-ppp requires a very old GCC from ubuntu 9.03 which is not going to install in Mint 20.x
So you'll be out of luck again.
As I have said before I don't believe you'll find any WVdial gui that is going to install on recent Ubuntus or Mints. MX still is the best alternative if you must have a dial up gui front end.

Ok guys, thanks for the input. I'm exploring the files. There is an install file which has more specific info similar to what your shared kc1di. It may be an impossible goal, with Mint. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hiya Everyone, Everything is working connecting dialup via terminal and wvdial. I haven't succeeded in getting a GUI installed. As you've said, it seems undoable, and I don't want to break anything since it is working. Thank you all for getting me up and running. It has been a 3yr. journey So glad to be functioning. Will look for a package to see connection speed and let you know if I every get a GUI to connect with.

Vicky, just a thought that I expect you have pursued, but just in case -

viasat and HughesNet are two satellite broadband providers in Virginia. Have you ever checked with them whether you could get satellite?

Wizard

Hiya Wizard, good to hear from you. I live in an oak forest, so satellite isn't functional. I will hit hispeed when I visit folks, until they get out to the woods with some hardwire I hope.
I'm glad I finally clicked on your 'spoiler' on the 'apt get' page. So much to learn.

KGIII, thanks again for guidance. I did get tar.gz installed, yet I need missing libraries which, as many have suggested, aren't available anymore. It works in terminal, I'd just like to know what speed I'm connecting at, and haven't figured that out yet. 'Modem manager' app doesn't let me enter my modem name. I need to research on hispeed, which is a challenge when my friends want to chit-chat. Human interaction has the most value, so we'll plod along.

Thank you as always. Your support makes the journey FUN.

Hmm... You could do an online bandwidth test to find out your real connection's speed.

Also, there's "high speed" radio internet. It's point to point wireless and needs a line of sight - but I think that line of sight only has to do with elevation and the likes - it penetrates forested areas.

I have a sibling who used it for a long time and I live in Maine - the most heavily forested state in the union.

In Australia we call that "fixed wireless", and Elaine and I have the small, unobtrusive, antenna on our roof.

In Virginia there is

VABB

who provide that service, Vicky, and you would be in the NLOS (non-line of sight) category.

Check it out at

https://vabb.com/technology/

Chris

Avagudweegend, all.

Staff online

Members online