How fast are browsers in Linux?

empleat

Reaction score
Credits
I Am on Windows currently, but I Am going to test Linux. How fast are browsers in Linux? I have opened in general 1000 tabs in Chrome, I can have thousands easily... I want to know how is browser performance on Linux in comparison to Windows? Also are there some addons to have classic taskbar. I have open dozens of browser windows, I need to be able to see them to navigate! I have Intel.

I dislike: Ubuntu, Fedora.

What are fastest Linux distros in terms of system/browser performance?

Thanks!

That sorta question has more to do with what kind of hardware you have.

I have hundreds of tabs open, without using any software that helps that (like the plugin that puts old tabs to sleep). I also have a ton of RAM. It also depends on if those tabs are truly active or just sitting there unloaded.

Or moderator is right, it does depend on what hardware you have.

When I ran Windows the Firefox browser was really slow and unresponsive at times.

Since I've been running Linux (12 years now) I've tried Google Chrome, Opera and Firefox.
The performance of all of the above named browser was very good and the response time was 1 second.

Lightweight Linux distro's (Linux Lite) work pretty fast.

Really, I Am not sure Linux is much slower than windows! I have i5 9600kf, 3200mhz ram 16gb, nvme, rtx 3070 tho. I quit using Firefox, because 6 tabs cause 100% CPU usage, and it persist even it stopped happening in Nightly after some update! How is chormium on Linux? How fast it is compared to windows?

1second xD, if page doesn't load instantly i get headaches sometimes :D I Am more interested if it can handle thousands of tabs, but if you say only HW is problem hmm, I will some Linux soon. What is fastest Linux distro ?

Is there some way to manage dozens of windows on taskbar, so they are all visible as in windows?

Really, I Am not sure Linux is much slower than windows! I have i5 9600kf, 3200mhz ram 16gb, nvme, rtx 3070 tho. I quit using Firefox, because 6 tabs cause 100% CPU usage, and it persist even it stopped happening in Nightly after some update! How is chormium on Linux? How fast it is compared to windows?

1second xD, if page doesn't load instantly i get headaches sometimes :D I Am more interested if it can handle thousands of tabs, but if you say only HW is problem hmm, I will some Linux soon. What is fastest Linux distro ?

Is there some way to manage dozens of windows on taskbar, so they are all visible as in windows?
Your going to have to try some distro's on that machine to find out which one will run the fastest for you.
I recommend trying Lightweight distro's.

I'm not running Windows so maybe our members here that are running Windows will know how to manage dozens of windows on the taskbar. Try a Google search and see if you can find the answer to your question. OR> look in the online Windows Forums.

How is chormium on Linux? How fast it is compared to windows?
I Am on Windows currently,
Seeing you are currently on windows, and have a passion to 'test' Linux....that tells me two things.

Obviously, windows is 'failing' you in some way, and as a result you wish to see if Linux is better in that particular way

Surely ....you....are the best person to test if Chrome in Linux is suitable for your needs.

I was only on windows because I have ADHD :D And linux is bugged I hate random bugs, I tried upvoted solutions by hundreds on linux didn't work, even nvidia support for linux wasn't able to solve error it gave me on fedora installing drivers and guide on my exact version didn't worked, so i was like OK... But I need to start use Linux, windows will get only more cancer...

I guess i am going to test it on old pc, i hate to RMA RAM.

Thanks for answer anyways... BTW do you know how to view all browser windows on taskbar, so they are uncollapsed so I can see their titles? OR some taskbar addons for linux?

@empleat -- I dislike: Ubuntu, Fedora.
Hardware -- 8+ Gigs RAM and a CPU that runs 3GHz+, with SSD? XFCE or lighter distro?
It's up to the distro and browser, after that, IMO.

A distro like antiX is about as quick as one can get

Members online