How should I download wvdialer?

Vicktoria

Reaction score
Credits
How should I download wvdialer. It isn't in software manager? Seems I succeeded sudo apt install wvdial. Thanks

Last edited:

sorry late getting back, the settings on my dell lappy are
Disabled = the sata controllers are hidden
ATA = sata is configured for ATH mode
AHCI = sata is configured for AHCI mode

Heh... I knew that was the problem. LOL I've seen that error a number of times!

If it's not in your repos, then:

You'll need 'build-essential' first if you're using Ubuntu or an official flavor (and maybe Debian, I forget as I don't use Debian all that often).

Hello KGIII & Brickwizard. So good to get most everything working so far. I intend to go home to dial-up tomorrow and get that going. I wonder if this Dell has an internal modem.

I don't know what 'build-essential' means, yet late last night I think I saw something about essentials being addressed. Is there some way to verify that the DVD player will play movies? I tested a CD and that worked, yet couldn't get any of the DVDs I could find in this house to play. As far as I know when I get the dial-up going and if the DVD is working I'm good to go. I've been trying to make this happen for 3 yrs now. I'm elated, Thank You All!!!

As always all suggestions appreciated. I'll look into 'build-essential'.

I've had the best luck removing windows this way...

boot from USB drive (or CD ROM)
open command prompt.
fdisk -l (this will show you which disks you have)
99% of the time your widows will be on /dev/sda (but not always)
fdisk /dev/sda (or /dev/sdb or whichever device windows is on)
press "g" to re-create the partition table.
press "w" to write this partition table to the disk. This effectively wipes out windows.
Proceed with install.

Many installations will let you over-write the previously installed OS. But it's not always intuitive on how to do this.

I've had the best luck removing windows this way...

boot from USB drive (or CD ROM)
open command prompt.
fdisk -l (this will show you which disks you have)
99% of the time your widows will be on /dev/sda (but not always)
fdisk /dev/sda (or /dev/sdb or whichever device windows is on)
press "g" to re-create the partition table.
press "w" to write this partition table to the disk. This effectively wipes out windows.
Proceed with install.

Many installations will let you over-write the previously installed OS. But it's not always intuitive on how to do this.
that would be fine for uefi and creating gpt partition tables, which is very likely what Vicktoria needs.

Last edited:
Dell has an internal modem.
dial up modems haven't been standard equipment for eons I hope you have an old external one that connects to the ethanet terminal

Everything seems to function. Got a movie to play by first opening the Drive and then clicking on the video_TS file and selecting 'play with Celuloid. So it may not be in perfect order yet, it is close. Yes I absolutely have an external modem at home here I live with dial-up alone. So I intend to set up dial up tomorrow when I'm home again. I am so grateful to you all as always.

I have celluloid [for dvd], rhythm [box for cd] and MPV [media player] ..well it the Linux way,
If you would prefer an all in one player you wont go far wrong by installing the VLC player [it should be in your software manager]

Bwiz

Thanks Brickwizard, I downloaded all of them. Do you by chance know of a front end GUI for dial-up that is compatible with Uma?

sit yourself down and have a read of this...https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-56k-dial-modem-support-gnu-linux it's the most recent info I have seen, it's so far back i cannot remember the last time I used a dial up modem {all i do remember is it was a 57k modem which I hacked and got it running at just over 90 but dont ask me after 23 yrs what the hack was, I'm too old to remember ]

Hello All...I need help with dial-up. I've spent al day and all night. Evidently some terminal commands that I took notes on for 19 don't work in 20. I do have wvdial installed and a terminal GNU ppp which I tried to use. I can't get access to wvdial configfile, and nano shows a blank file. The modem is being shown on COM3, yet dvdial says it can't find modem. I'll try to upload some screenshots. The place i access hi speed doesn't have a landline, so I can't make a connection there. I tried reading manual pages. couldn't get wvdial page 5, which was suppose to have more details, to come up in terminal. I give...Help!!!
Dialer2.png

Has the Modem been rebooted?

Vicky, heads up. :)

From the start of page 2, #21 should be a part of a new Thread, suitably titled, and perhaps linked to this Thread. Other than that, it will confuse helpers as you are asking about a different issue with the dialup.

The input from @dos2unix and Andy @captain-sensible at #25 and #26 is likely redundant. as the OP has succeeded in getting Windows removed and Uma installed.

I can engineer the voodoo to remedy the matter on my tomorrow, or maybe David @KGIII wants to practise his copying and moving skills? I have a 300 km road trip to complete first.

Then a beer.

Cheers

Wiz

Staff online