How the attention economy hurts you via social media

Tolkem

Reaction score
Credits

The article is interesting, Hornet, and I for one may follow the series :)

For the viewers, just a reminder, as the article does make a couple of references to US politics:

This from the revised rules for this subforum

Political, religious or racial discussions, gender and sexual preferences do not belong on this board.

Just so's you all remember.

Thanks and Avagudweegend

Chris

This from the revised rules for this subforum
Political, religious or racial discussions, gender and sexual preferences do not belong on this board.
Just so's you all remember.
Sorry @wizardfromoz wasn't aware of that rule. My bad.

No, not at all, my friend. The subject matter and principles are of interest, and open to discussion, as long as members are prepared to not focus on Politics.
:)

I, for one, am happy to have a rant about the social media. :D

Wiz

I have zero 'social media' accounts - in what folks typically think of as social media. But, the definition is kind of loose and I have accounts at places like HN and Slashdot which technically meet the requirements to be called social media.

I have no Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, whatever...

If people want my attention, they know where to find me. My social life isn't hindered in the slightest by not having accounts. If it matters, someone will let me know.

No, not at all, my friend. The subject matter and principles are of interest, and open to discussion, as long as members are prepared to not focus on Politics.
:)

I, for one, am happy to have a rant about the social media. :D

Wiz
Ah, good to know. :)

I have zero 'social media' accounts - in what folks typically think of as social media. But, the definition is kind of loose and I have accounts at places like HN and Slashdot which technically meet the requirements to be called social media.

I have no Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, whatever...

If people want my attention, they know where to find me. My social life isn't hindered in the slightest by not having accounts. If it matters, someone will let me know.
I do have a Facebook and Twitter account but don't use them that much these days specially twitter which in fact just annoys me. To be fair, I think both FB and TT weren't that bad when they first appeared and actually were a bit fun but like everything, "money people" just want more money, so they make them (or perhaps that was the plan from the very beginning) the ads and propaganda machines they are today. I use messenger though, to keep in touch with friends and family members who I don't have another way to talk to. Social media has had a big impact on our society, some say for the best others say it's been for the worst and I think it's been a bit of both, sadly maybe a bit more for the worst; kids don't play outside anymore! They miss all the fun that comes with that! On the other hand, they're more proficient with new technologies than I'll ever be so... Adults are a different story; adults should behave like adults, period.

Members online