How to automatically suspend HDD

Dave123

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
I have laptop with two hard drives. First is SSD (with system) and the second is HDD with my private files. So I would like to setup to automatically power off of disk after 4 minutes. I set hdparm -S 48. It didn't work. So I set hdparm -B. If I set value 64 and lower the hard drive will be power off in few second. If I set value 65 and higher, the hard drive will never shut down...

Please, does anyone know, how to do it? Thanks

G'day @Dave123 and welcome to linux.org :)

1st up tell us what Distro and version you are using.

Then, did you specify the drive in your command, eg

hdparm -S 48 /dev/sda ?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hello,
I have ubuntu 20.04. I Have WDC WD10SPZX-60Z.
This commane doesn't work, until I set up value of hdparm - B 64 and lower. But if I set this, the hard drive will power of in few seconds... So I will set 65 and in this situation, the drive will sleep never...

I have noticed hdparm doesn't work with nvme m.2 drives.
I suppose there are some technical reasons for this, but just the same...

Hi,
I have laptop with two hard drives. First is SSD (with system) and the second is HDD with my private files. So I would like to setup to automatically power off of disk after 4 minutes. I set hdparm -S 48. It didn't work. So I set hdparm -B. If I set value 64 and lower the hard drive will be power off in few second. If I set value 65 and higher, the hard drive will never shut down...

Please, does anyone know, how to do it? Thanks
To clarify... are you combining -B and -S? That's what I think you should be doing. Here is an example idle-script from my own system:

Bash:
#!/bin/bash
# This is run by a post-boot systemd timer job
set -x
# -S 1 to 240 specify multiples of 5 seconds \
# -S 241 to 251 specify multiples of 30 minutes
/sbin/hdparm -B 127 -S  60 -y /dev/sdc
# Latest Seagate ST4000DM004 has inbuilt power management so only use -S -y
/sbin/hdparm -S 241 -y /dev/sdd

You probably don't want -y.

The above is based on what I've read at: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Hdparm#Power_management_configuration

(But I'm actually running OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, I just like the arch documentation).

Members online