How to change start page.

vanmol

Reaction score
Credits
I have tried every method found via search without success. One of those tutorials did say that if it can't be done there is a bug. Can someone tell me how they changed their Linux mint 20.0 Startpage from Linux default to google or duckduckgo?

IMPORTANT

WHICH browser are you using

In upper right hand corner there should be 3 horizontal bars click on them.

Go to settings click on it.

Look on the left for home and click it.

You see where it says home page and new windows you should see the url for the default Linux Mint browser page delete that

have duckduckgo open

and then click use current page.

That's the way I do it and it always has worked.

You see where it says home page and new windows you should see the url for the default Linux Mint browser page delete that

have duckduckgo open

Gods must like you better than me because it just won't work. Dragging to the home button no good either.

Windows 10 ?

well this is a Linux board not windows, but never mind
open fire fox and click on the 3 horizontal bars in the top right of the screen
scroll down to setting and click to open
on the settings page click home,
you will see two boxes home and new tabs, click on the arrow on each box and select blank page
now on the left menu click on search the 3rd item is search engine, click on the arrow and select your search engine of choice
close fire fox now open it and you should have a blank page
if you click on the magnifying glass it should show your chosen search engine

Bwiz

Are you trying to do this with Firefox under Windows 10, or Firefox under Linux Mint, or both?

Cheers and welcome to linux.org

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Are you trying to do this with Firefox under Windows 10, or Firefox under Linux Mint, or both?

Cheers and welcome to linux.org

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
I have no problems making changes to Firefox under Windows 10 but using Linux does not work, regardless of what I try. Maybe, as a last resort, I should just try something other than Firefox?

In Firefox, click on the hamburger menu icon....right hand side of page....three horizontal lines

A drop down menu will open

Go down to SETTINGS and click on it.

A page opens......on the left hand side, click on HOME

Close to the top of that page tha opens there is....see below in pic...
Screenshot from 2021-07-12 10-30-39.png

HOMEPAGE AND NEW WINDOWS.....in the box beside those words, clear whatever is already type there, and then type in ... www.google.com ......then close the page completely.
When you reopen Firefox the google search page will open.
If you wish to have DUCKDUCLGO there instead of google, just type in ... https://duckduckgo.com/
.....instead of google.com. Then close the page completely, next time you open Firefox, you will have a duckduckgo search page

have duckduckgo open

Gods must like you better than me because it just won't work. Dragging to the home button no good either.
No reason to drag anything.

I have no problems making changes to Firefox under Windows 10 but using Linux does not work, regardless of what I try. Maybe, as a last resort, I should just try something other than Firefox?
If you can make the changes to Firefox that you want using Windows 10 then you should be able to make the changes to Firefox using Linux.

Firefox in Windows 10 is the same as Firefox in Linux there is no difference and I use both Windows 10 and Linux.

If you can make the changes to Firefox that you want using Windows 10 then you should be able to make the changes to Firefox using Linux.

Firefox in Windows 10 is the same as Firefox in Linux there is no difference and I use both Windows 10 and Linux.

Thanks much for the detailed instructions. I have been doing that but was ignoring the PASTE option. This time I copied and pasted and it worked as it should.

Open Firefox type in about:config accept the risks
now check the following -
startup.homepage_override_url
startup.homepage_welcome_url
browser.startup.homepage
Delete the contents of each - there should be a trashcan on the right side to dump the info
Now go back to browser.startup.homepage and type in the web address you want using the edit pencil on the right side

Members online