How to change the integrated graphics to external graphics?

ju-bei

Reaction score
Credits
Recently I have installed the Ubuntu Studio on my computer, but I wound't able to install the AMD drivers to my computer.

And my computer is running with the integrated Intel graphics and my AMD graphic card is obsolete on my PC.

I need to:

1 - Install AMD graphics drivers
2 - Change the integrated graphics to external graphics

My computer is a:

Dell Inspiron 15r 5537
Internal Graphics Card - Mesa Intel HD Graphics 4400
External Graphics Card - AMD Radeon HD 8850M

Using Ubuntu Studio 22.04

ju-bei wrote:
my AMD graphic card is obsolete on my PC
I take this to mean that the AMD graphics card is not running on the system, which is rather using the on-board Intel graphics. Usually, there is an option in the BIOS/UEFI where you can select which card to use, or to turn off the on-board card, so that's the first place worth investigating.

On the AMD graphics drivers, usually the AMD drivers that come with the distro are sufficient to run the AMD cards since AMD supply the relevant details of their cards to the linux developers, so in the first instance it would be enough to try those drivers which should be installed anyway. If you want the AMD factory drivers, you'll best access those and the instructions from the AMD website, which I've never needed to do, so can't say anything about them.

The package: firmware-amd-graphics, may need to be installed if not already in.

Last edited:
ju-bei wrote:

I take this to mean that the AMD graphics card is not running on the system, which is rather using the on-board Intel graphics. Usually, there is an option in the BIOS/UEFI where you can select which card to use, or to turn off the on-board card, so that's the first place worth investigating.

On the AMD graphics drivers, usually the AMD drivers that come with the distro are sufficient to run the AMD cards since AMD supply the relevant details of their cards to the linux developers, so in the first instance it would be enough to try those drivers which should be installed anyway. If you want the AMD factory drivers, you'll best access those and the instructions from the AMD website, which I've never needed to do, so can't say anything about them.

The package: firmware-amd-graphics, may need to be installed if not already in.
I installed the AMDGPU and it solved the problem!!!

Members online