[how to] Cinnamon 4.8.6+ trusted launcher on the desktop

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
Sometimes we need to create a shortcut on the desktop. In Cinnamon this procedure has been changed a lot in the last year and it took me a lot of time to figure out how to create shortcuts on the desktop without the system crying about "there was a problem launching the program" or telling me the launcher isn't trusted. But I finally found the way - for Cinnamon 4.8.6+, regardless of the distro.

1. Open menu editor.
2. Click on "Programs" in the left pane and then click the button "Create new menu". In my case I needed a menu for playlists, so I named it "Music" and set an icon for it.
3. Click on the newly created menu.
4. In the newly created menu create new element (meaning new desktop launcher) using the button "create new element".
5. Close the menu editor.
6. Open the Cinnamon Menu (a.k.a "Start Menu"), navigate to the new menu, right click on the newly created launcher :arrow: Add to desktop.
And that's it. Elements created in this way automatically become trusted and work flawlessly. But if you try to create them with right click on the desktop, Cinnamon won't let you. Sure, the launcher editor opens but the button "OK" won't get lit up. If by any chance you manage to create the launcher, when you click it, Cinnamon will say "there was a problem launching the program" but it won't tell you what the problem is. :lol:

ydyaoGY.png

But if you try to create them with right click on the desktop, Cinnamon won't let you. Sure, the launcher editor opens but the button "OK" won't get lit up. If by any chance you manage to create the launcher, when you click it, Cinnamon will say "there was a problem launching the program" but it won't tell you what the problem is.
I have never encountered this problem.

In 4.6.4 and older there wasn't a problem. But in 4.8.6 you get 3 free shortcuts created directly from the desktop, after the third it stops working. Could be a bug but whatever it is, the above way is a workaround for the problem.
There's also another upside of the above way. Sometimes the system asks you if you wanna put the shortcut in "Others" but it puts there everything. If you create a new menu and/or a new element in an existing menu you will have all of your shortcuts distributed properly. Games will be in "Games" menu, music playlists will be in "Music" and so on.

Could be a bug but whatever it is

If there's even the slightest chance that it's a bug, please report it. The devs (typically) appreciate it.

Don't leave it up to someone else to report it. You may be the only one who has noticed so far.

If there's even the slightest chance that it's a bug, please report it. The devs (typically) appreciate it.

Don't leave it up to someone else to report it. You may be the only one who has noticed so far.
I recently reported another thing and they sent me to Gnome, but the gnomers sent me back to Cinnamon. Both teams are doing something that in my language is called "shifting responsibility", so I gave up reporting anything.

Members online

Latest posts