How to clone Xtra-PC Linux

Platypus100

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone,
sorry if this is a really dumb query but I just have no idea. basically I have this thing called an Xtra-PC. I think it’s a version of Linux or Ubuntu that runs from a usb stick and is meant to make your PC supposedly brand new (Please look it up for more info). I really want to make an ISO of it so I can send it to a friend for him to use. What’s the best way of making the ISO. When plugged in, the USB comes up with 4 partitions, 2 of which are inaccessible (images attached)

Thanks again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1,877
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1,764

I would keep the USB, and dump the Xtra-PC. Is it a scam? Depends on how much you paid for it! It cannot make your PC hardware suddenly turn new again. The hardware is what it is. You can install almost any reputable Linux or BSD and make that old hardware be useful again, but that's about it.

I wouldn't spend another moment on this.

I would keep the USB, and dump the Xtra-PC. Is it a scam? Depends on how much you paid for it! It cannot make your PC hardware suddenly turn new again. The hardware is what it is. You can install almost any reputable Linux or BSD and make that old hardware be useful again, but that's about it.

From Xtra-PC site
Xtra-PC is a flash drive stick that you insert into an available USB port on your PC. Built on the proven foundation of Linux, it bypasses the old, slow, bloated Windows operating system to make your PC into a blazing fast, high performance PC with a new, simple to use, operating system that has the familiar look and feel of your Windows PC. It even works with missing or faulty hard drives. Since it runs on a USB stick, your existing computer is not altered, and youʼll have access to all of your old files. You simply plug it in, restart your PC to boot into USB, and start using Xtra-PC!
Xtra-PC is easy to use and made for speed.
so the OP is kind of right and it is a Linux OS or something like that. Oh, and they sell it on amazon! https://www.xtra-pc.com/

Last edited:
Well, it would appear that "Xtra-PC is a version of Linux and is released under the GNU General Public License, Mozilla Public License, Apache License, Version 2.0, and others. So apparently there should be no problem copying it. In that case;
Try Clonezilla
or
"dd"

either one should do the trick.

This answer is worth (pick one);

Oh, I wouldn't use and/or share that thing. From their privecy policy:
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any
individual, without restriction.
We may disclose personal information that we collect or you provide as described in this privacy
policy:
  • To our subsidiaries and affiliates.
  • To contractors, service providers and other third parties we use to support our business and who
    are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and use it only
    for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
  • To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization,
    dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of the Company’s assets, whether as a going
    concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal
    information held by the Company about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
  • To third parties to market their products or services to you if you have consented to these
    disclosures. We contractually require these third parties to keep personal information
    confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
  • To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you give us an e-mail address to
    use the “e-mail a friend” feature of our Website, we will transmit the contents of that e-mail and
    your e-mail address to the recipients.
  • For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
  • With your consent.
https://www.xtra-pc.com/privacy-policy

Well, it would appear that "Xtra-PC is a version of Linux and is released under the GNU General Public License, Mozilla Public License, Apache License, Version 2.0, and others. So apparently there should be no problem copying it. In that case;
Try Clonezilla
or
"dd"

either one should do the trick.

This answer is worth (pick one);
View attachment 5774
I tried clonezilla but it doesn’t seem to work. How would I go about doing dd? The screen looks like this.
Thanks again

Attachments

• B70C72DD-5565-4FF2-8B6C-BD7810F0C940.jpeg
    B70C72DD-5565-4FF2-8B6C-BD7810F0C940.jpeg
    406.4 KB · Views: 1,208

Luckily I didn’t buy it since it was given to me. But it seems like a really simple and quick OS for my elderly friend and I want to send it to them (I know there are other versions of Linux but I really want this one)

Pure, unadulterated, BS. I would not push that junk on an enemy, much less a friend. It assumes that somehow the user, or every user, has allowed their Windows system to become a bloated, ugly mess. It does happen, but it can happen with a Linux or BSD installation, too.

If you want to give your friend a good Linux, pick a well supported, well known distro - download it, burn it to a USB, pass it on.

Pure, unadulterated, BS. I would not push that junk on an enemy, much less a friend. It assumes that somehow the user, or every user, has allowed their Windows system to become a bloated, ugly mess. It does happen, but it can happen with a Linux or BSD installation, too.

If you want to give your friend a good Linux, pick a well supported, well known distro - download it, burn it to a USB, pass it on.
Thanks for your reply.
I’m fully aware of the many other Linux versions available however the point of this thread was to find out a way of cloning the one I currently have and theses types of replies aren’t very helpful for my problem. It’s like me asking for a cookie recipe but you saying that you don’t like cookies so don’t bother

Greetings Platypus, and welcome;

I won't be telling you how to clone or make an iso of your xtraPC but would ask you to take a look at the attached post on the forum. It is a description of how to get a Linux Memory Stick to work on a Windows 10 computer. Believe me, it is not an easy thing to do. The xtraPC website makes it sound so easy, but I would guarantee that unless your friend is computer savvy, your friend very likely would not be able to make it work.
This post is one that I wrote for a man from England a short while ago. I think it is worth your time to read. Stage 2 is where all the difficulty of using the stick on Win 10 is explained, and how complicated it is.

Once again, welcome!
Old Geezer
Tango Charlie

I tried clonezilla but it doesn’t seem to work. How would I go about doing dd? The screen looks like this.
Sorry! My bad :/ I had assumed you would be doing this from within Linux and just realized you are probably trying to clone the USB from within Windows. Which operating system are you using to clone the USB?

I rarely use Windows anymore so am getting a little 'rusty' but from within Windows the EaseUS ToDo Backup should do the job. There are probably other tools which will work also that's just the first one I thought of. I believe they offer a 'free' download.

If you are trying to do this from within Linux;
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-copy-clone-usb-stick-including-partitions/

CAUTION! Be very, very careful when using the 'dd' command and make absolutely SURE which disk you are writing to! 'dd' will overwrite whatever disk you tell it to - perhaps without warning.

I always use this free utility. It copies the data from one hard drive or flash disk to another at the very bottom level. So it copies all the partitions including the efi perfectly. I have used it for all types of OS

Hope this helps

CAUTION! Be very, very careful when using the 'dd' command and make absolutely SURE which disk you are writing to! 'dd' will overwrite whatever disk you tell it to - perhaps without warning.
Xtra-PC looks proprietary. Maybe that's the problem, if dd does not work!

Thanks for your reply.
I’m fully aware of the many other Linux versions available however the point of this thread was to find out a way of cloning the one I currently have and theses types of replies aren’t very helpful for my problem. It’s like me asking for a cookie recipe but you saying that you don’t like cookies so don’t bother
Actually, it's more like those cookies are full of unhealthy crap, and the baker is hiding that fact from you. Linux is open source, nothing to hide. But, it's your choice, and dd on the command line will copy anything to anywhere bit for bit. Just be careful or the wrong drive will get a bucket full of bits.

according to the video on the Xtra-PC website (https://www.xtra-pc.com/user-guide-2/xtrapc-settings/system-information) it is a fairly standard Ubuntu 18.04LTS.

So it should be possible to clone the USB stick via dd or windows tools as mentioned several times above. Especially post #14 gives links how to do that.
Be careful to find aout the right source and destination device and don't clone it, when running Linux from that device, there is a good chance that the clone is not bootable in this case.

Last edited:
I have tried to clone Xtra-PC, install it on an old computer, and create an iso on Ubuntu, Windows, and Mac OSX. All have been miserable disasters. Last weekend, my Mac crashed big time. The diagnostics see the hard drive but will not mount it so I can use it. I was able to use Xtra-PC to reformat the drive so I could reinstall the Mac OS. Unfortunately, the reinstall failed and I think the drive is dead.

I think that Xtra-PC is more of a diagnostics tool than something to make the PC run like new again. It's nice to have when you need to recover or rescue some files from a system crash. You can even use it to test Linux apps, but when you restart the computer all of your changes are removed. I think it will download and install OS updates, but I am not sure if they really install. I have used my Xtra-PC on several occasions and it works well, but other than using it to diagnose issues or rescue files it is crap.

If your "elderly friend" is willing to take a chance, I would recommend having him install Ubuntu and then use Google Docs online or download and install LibreOffice. All are free to use, but there is a learning curve if you have only used Windows. The fun thing is that Ubuntu can be downloaded and burnt on to a DVD. Or you can install a program on your Windows computer called Universal USB Installer and create a bootable USB. (I have tried to use this to clone Xtra. It will not work.) The Ubuntu disc and USB are LIVE. You can use them like Xtra-PC without installing them and it's much cheaper to use than Xtra-PC.

If your friend's PC was running something older than Windows 7, I would recommend Lubuntu or Xbuntu instead. Both are super lightweight and don't use up a lot of system resources. I hope this helps.

BTW: My Xtra-PC Pro drive crashed. I had to spend 90.00 to get a new one. Yay! I now have a 64 Gig flash drive.

G'day @SugarBear and welcome to linux.org :)

As you learn to navigate and become familiar with the site, you'll find that if you mouse over a person's avatar, you can see when they were last active, and combine that with when they posted, for an idea of how active they are.

The OP (original poster) @Platypus100 has not been active since the initial dialogue - March 22 my time, may differ for you.

Posters since have basically been talking to themselves/among themselves :D

That being said, the information you have provided is valuable, and not wasted, as it may help others make a choice. That's a Win. Thanks for sharing.

Do consider swinging over to Member Introductions and meeting a few of The Gang, and tell us a little of the SugarBear story.

Cheers

Enjoy your Linux and

Avagudweegend

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online