How To Convert Linux OS to a Different Linux OS.

I looked everywhere can couldn't find such option. I did find though under: System>admin>Start disk creator. I messed around with that for a bit but still no luck. I probably don't know how to use it properly.
When your live version of Mofo Linux boots up what are your options on the screen?
Does it boot to a desktop environment?

If it does boot to a DE install ubiquity. Ubiquity is the installer that you will need to install Linux.

How are you running Mofo Linux? A CD/DVD or USB?

When your live version of Mofo Linux boots up what are your options on the screen?
Does it boot to a desktop environment?

If it does boot to a DE install ubiquity. Ubiquity is the installer that you will need to install Linux.

How are you running Mofo Linux? A CD/DVD or USB?

I wiped my USB and re installed Linux Mint so I can start from scratch.

I have been trying to use a USB to install MOFO. I have MOFO installed onto a 16GB USB and it launches fine. My options when it launches are:
1. Try Mofo Linux without installing
2. Check disc for defects

That's always good. :), then you can work from a stable environment.

I have some answers on the MOFO, and the MOFO website and the MOFO .iso have some faults in them.

This is a good example I find of trying something yourself before you can advocate it as a working solution to others. I know that may sound pompous, but it is true in my experience.

To be brief:

1. Ubiquity does not work on the Live USB. It installs OK using the methods suggested, and the website instructions, but it does not then appear on the Live Menu, anywhere. Using the command ubiquity from Terminal starts to launch it, but then it crashes and invites you to submit a bug report. Haven't the time for that, myself.
  2. Calamares, on the other hand, does install OK and does appear on the Menu under System.
Calamares does launch to the starting point I have used frequently, but I have not gone further yet with an install.

@darkphantom , I am happy to go further and install it tomorrow, if you wish to go ahead, but let me know so I don't waste my time, won't you?

If you choose to go ahead, you should do so when you are bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, that is usually most people's mornings. Also bear in mind I am in Australia with the timezones (east coast, Queensland).

Cheers and

Avagudweegend, all

Wizard

BTW - I burned the .iso to USB using first Balena Etcher, and then using the dd command from a Linux Mint terminal, to be sure the ubiquity option did not work. Negative in both cases.

That's always good. :), then you can work from a stable environment.

I have some answers on the MOFO, and the MOFO website and the MOFO .iso have some faults in them.

This is a good example I find of trying something yourself before you can advocate it as a working solution to others. I know that may sound pompous, but it is true in my experience.

To be brief:

1. Ubiquity does not work on the Live USB. It installs OK using the methods suggested, and the website instructions, but it does not then appear on the Live Menu, anywhere. Using the command ubiquity from Terminal starts to launch it, but then it crashes and invites you to submit a bug report. Haven't the time for that, myself.
  2. Calamares, on the other hand, does install OK and does appear on the Menu under System.
Calamares does launch to the starting point I have used frequently, but I have not gone further yet with an install.

@darkphantom , I am happy to go further and install it tomorrow, if you wish to go ahead, but let me know so I don't waste my time, won't you?

If you choose to go ahead, you should do so when you are bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, that is usually most people's mornings. Also bear in mind I am in Australia with the timezones (east coast, Queensland).

Cheers and

Avagudweegend, all

Wizard

BTW - I burned the .iso to USB using first Balena Etcher, and then using the dd command from a Linux Mint terminal, to be sure the ubiquity option did not work. Negative in both cases.
Alrighty I will try it with Calamares tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you.

Alrighty I will try it with Calamares tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you.
I used Calamares on a recent install of Hefftor Linux the other dayand it worked great for me!

@darkphantom - please don't edit your first post in the way you have, without notifying us - it changes all the structure of the thread and the responses that followed your first post, and will only confuse us and other readers.

I understand what you are doing, in trying to update where you are at, and am not cranky with you, but let us know developments sequentially, so that there is an order to it. :)

I strongly disagree, Lord Boltar.

In the first instance, the instructions have not been updated in 18 months, and refer to MOFO 6, whereas the OP and I have MOFO 7. There are other hurdles, and this explains why the OP has been wrestling with files like

40_custom

These methods are far beyond the paygrade of a relative beginner, and even I find them laborious.

If you wish to install MOFO following their instructions and then come back to us with a blow-by-blow, then I am all for it.

I got Calamares running easily enough, got through several stages, and then the installer bellied up.

Cheers

Wizard

BTW Phantom, you may be able to restore your first post to how it was and copy the new material to "down here", if not, I may be able to do it for you. Let me know. :)

@darkphantom - please don't edit your first post in the way you have, without notifying us - it changes all the structure of the thread and the responses that followed your first post, and will only confuse us and other readers.

I understand what you are doing, in trying to update where you are at, and am not cranky with you, but let us know developments sequentially, so that there is an order to it. :)

In the first instance, the instructions have not been updated in 18 months, and refer to MOFO 6, whereas the OP and I have MOFO 7. There are other hurdles, and this explains why the OP has been wrestling with files like

40_custom

These methods are far beyond the paygrade of a relative beginner, and even I find them laborious.

If you wish to install MOFO following their instructions and then come back to us with a blow-by-blow, then I am all for it.

I got Calamares running easily enough, got through several stages, and then the installer bellied up.

Cheers

Wizard

BTW Phantom, you may be able to restore your first post to how it was and copy the new material to "down here", if not, I may be able to do it for you. Let me know. :)
My apologies!! I just read this message now. I will stop altering the thread.

This has turned out to be a shit show lmao.

After struggling with these instructions for days on end now I have come to the realization as well that it needs to be updated and some key pointers are missing. When I configured the 40_custom file I did change it from 6.0 to 7.0. That much I understood.

This whole process has been a nightmare. Only someone with a solid Linux background would be able to read those instructions and know what to do differently to succeed with the installation.

I am a lost little puppy dog right now.

My god do I feel bad for the people who depend on operating systems like MOFO to stay alive in 3rd world censored countries. I couldn't imagine someone where English isn't their first language and trying to figure out how to install Mofo using these instructions lol. Yikes.

40_custom

Cheers

Wizard

I am going back to the:
A Dedicated USB Stick For Frugal Installs
method. It seems the most straight forward and I think I have spent enough time on this that I should be able to read between the lines and figure out what needs to be done. Fingers crossed.

I am using this link: https://www.pendrivelinux.com/install-grub2-on-usb-from-ubuntu-linux/ to install Grub2 onto the USB though as the commands listed on mofolinux.com are faulty.

Once I have completed that I am going to figure out where to go from there.

Last edited:
YUP! IT'S OFFICIAL! This guide is useless. It's waaaaaaaay out of date. The commands he uses my Linux Mint doesn't even recognize. There are SO many important steps that are missing and under the instructions he gives for Installing on Windows he is using Linux commands which don't work in a command prompt on Windows. I sent the creator an email in hope it will get updated. Until then I am on my own. It's time to go full nerd mode.

Can't say as I blame you - I have just rebooted into one of my favourite Mints, having returned from a 5th failure to install MOFO. I was going to try the 40_custom crap next, but I will hold off.

An FYI is that @Lord Boltar is himself a developer (of Expirion Linux), so if he cannot crack instaliing it, likely no-one can.

If he succeeds, then it is just a case of whether he can dumb down enough for us grunts to follow.
:D

Cheers

Wizard

Can't say as I blame you - I have just rebooted into one of my favourite Mints, having returned from a 5th failure to install MOFO. I was going to try the 40_custom crap next, but I will hold off.

An FYI is that @Lord Boltar is himself a developer (of Expirion Linux), so if he cannot crack instaliing it, likely no-one can.

If he succeeds, then it is just a case of whether he can dumb down enough for us grunts to follow.

Cheers

Wizard

I am relieved to hear that you two are having trouble with this install as well. It ensures that I am not an idiot and the instructions I was following are in fact faulty. I am dedicating the next two days to figuring this out but come Monday I am paying someone to do it. Let me know if you guys make any progress.

Nobody hates anybody around here, Mate :)

Doesn't mean to say, though

remember to send this link to anyone else you know who is suffering from the hell of the Linux world.

The Linux world is not hell, but you are likely being overambitious in trying to install a Distro that is off the beaten track, has little support, and does not even feature in the top 275 listed at distrowatch.com ?

The USB stick works fine, so you could just use it on a needs basis to perform secure transactions, or else you can take a list of what feature apps it has, and see which ones will work on a mainstream distro such as Linux Mint.

Choices are yours :)

Wizard

I would agree with that Mofo Linux is not for the beginner, If it were me and I was looking for a version with more privacy, I would look at Septor, Qubes or Kodachi for a full install on a thumb drive Tails or TENS, but that's just me.
Just starting out on Linux I would grab one of the major versions like Linux Mint, or one of the Ubuntu flavors just to learn how things work, even with one of the major releases you can still add the software like Tor and a VPN to give you some anonymity. Let you know I am currently downloading Mofo Linux and will check it out, will report back if I come up with something might take me a few days

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll go out on a limb here. Every Linux distro can be hardened, it's nature of the beast.

Cheers

Wizard
When trying to install Mofo Linux I have received so many errors it was pathetic - most of which were caused by the mofo dbus daemon - I think that daemon is corrupt on Mofo , which then caused a bunch of issues with Ubiquity and Calamares installers - at that point I decide it was not worth fixing, there was also no default profile settings for the keyboard, Bluetooth, high-contrast and a host of other things. . It would not even let me update the grub without failing.Other then running it on a thumb drive it is useless as far as I am concerned

I would agree with that Mofo Linux is not for the beginner, If it were me and I was looking for a version with more privacy, I would look at Septor, Qubes or Kodachi for a full install on a thumb drive Tails or TENS, but that's just me.
Just starting out on Linux I would grab one of the major versions like Linux Mint, or one of the Ubuntu flavors just to learn how things work, even with one of the major releases you can still add the software like Tor and a VPN to give you some anonymity. Let you know I am currently downloading Mofo Linux and will check it out, will report back if I come up with something might take me a few days
Thanks Lord. I will look into the other OS you mentioned. Mofo isn't worth my time right now.

Members online

Latest posts