How to create a bootable Linux image from extracted ISO

inna

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I'm studying about Ubuntu's autoinstall, and this is another link I'm seeing.

First of all, my issue about autoinstall is that I generate new iso with xorriso package but when I boot the newly created iso, I again see the interactive menus that I didn't said to be interactive.
If you can help me about this, I'll be so happy:)

The question of this thread is:
Suppose I extracted an Ubuntu image and did some changes to the files. Now I want to pack them again and create a file with .iso extension which is bootable. I mean if I use that in my Windows Hyper-V virtual machine, I can see the boot menu.

Can you help me? I have both Windows and Linux (Linux is GUI too).
I tried in Windows with an application called IMGBurn but when I boot that file, it stucks forever and doesn't load anything. My VM understands that it has an attached iso but it stucks loading.

Thanks in advance

I have both Windows and Linux
I assume you mean a windows/Linux dual boot, if that is the case, did you disable both windows quick=start [fast boot] and secure boot, before installing Linux,
did you remove the Linux ISO installation medium before re-booting [if you are using a virtual machine, then unmount the image and re-boot.
I tried in Windows with an application called IMGBurn
making a USB pen-drive installation medium, then burn the ISO image using Balena Etcher

xorriso package
sorry, I have never used this package.

Thanks.

I assume you mean a windows/Linux dual boot, if that is the case, did you disable both windows quick=start [fast boot] and secure boot, before installing Linux,
No, I don't mean that. I mean I have my laptop (Windows), Linux in WSL and having installed Hyper-V which is the virtualization application in Windows and I have another Ubuntu Linux in Hyper-V.

The final goal is to create a custom bootable ISO so that I can install in all my dedicated servers.

The final goal is to create a custom bootable ISO so that I can install in all my dedicated servers.
Sorry for the miss understanding, I know of WSL but as I have not used Windows for many years, I have no personal experience of it.
Have you asked on the guilthub WSL discussion site? https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/discussions

Sorry for the miss understanding, I know of WSL but as I have not used Windows for many years, I have no personal experience of it.
Have you asked on the guilthub WSL discussion site? https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/discussions
Thanks, no I haven't asked there yet.

The way to create is not important to me, but the final result matters more to me.
If you know any commands to create custom image (suppose I extracted an Ubuntu image, then added something to boot/grub/grub.cfg) with my modifications, I'll be happy to know:)

Extracting an .iso image & adding to it, you will need to recreate it with all the correct boot parameters, & might need to run isohybid against the .iso file for it to boot from USB pendrives.

But it is more than likely actually a problem with MS Windows, & the 'bios/uefi' or secure boot settings of the computer.

You can actually make a CD image from files that will boot. Programs like mkisofs, genisoimage & xorriso are used.
This is how I used to make them :-

Code:
genisoimage -o ../myiso -R -J -l -v -V "my cd" -hide-rr-moved -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -pad .

This created a bootable CD from files in the directory it was run from.

Members online

Latest posts