How To Create A Copy of Your Mint ISO That's Burnt To A Flash Drive.

bob466

Reaction score
Credits
I have a Flash Drive with Mint Cinnamon 21.1 on it...as we all know you plug it in and boot to it...simple.
m01101.gif

I have the ISO saved on an External HDD...the other day I was thinking...if I deleted the ISO by mistake I'd have to download another one...could I create a copy of the ISO that's on the Flash Drive because I'm lazy.
m0103.gif

Well you can...Plug in Flash Drive with Bootable ISO on it...Open Disk Utitity.
Select Flash Drive and click Cogs...Choose Create Partition Image option from the drop-down list.
Enter the name and choose the location to save the ISO image. I am going to save it in Documents folder. Finally, click "Start creating" icon.
Once bootable USB creation progress is done, go to the location where you saved it and verify if the ISO has been created. :)

I'ts then a matter of burning the created ISO to a Flash Drive and boot to it. This works with Foxclone ISO and other ISOs too for us lazy people.
t2008.gif

Some may say...what's the point of knowing this...as I can download another ISO.
t1827.gif

I have a Flash Drive with Macrium Free Rescue Media 8 on it...anyone who has used Macrium knows you need to insert the Flash Drive in to the software (which doesn't work in Linux) and download the PE (Preinstalled Environment) to create a Bootable Flash Drive...that you can create an image of your Drive.

You can't download the ISO and burn it to a Flash Drive because it doesn't work...you have do as above. What happens it the Flash Drive fails...you'd have to find a w computer because you can't copy the Flash Drive until now.
m1212.gif

PS. Macrium Rescue Media works the same as Foxclone and takes about the same time to create an image with the same compression too.
m1213.gif

You can also update the Flash Drive first just connect it to the internet, then run your sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade - once everything is installed - then make the ISO that way all the current upgrades are present in the new ISO before rebooting it - because as most of us know once your reboot your install flash drive any updates you put in it will no longer be there

You can also update the Flash Drive first just connect it to the internet, then run your sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade - once everything is installed - then make the ISO that way all the current upgrades are present in the new ISO before rebooting it - because as most of us know once your reboot your install flash drive any updates you put in it will no longer be there

Thanks but not what I had in mind...I wanted to make a copy of the burnt ISO on the Flash Drive in case the Flash Drive failed...I could just burn the copied ISO to a new one.
m01101.gif

Thanks but not what I had in mind...I wanted to make a copy of the burnt ISO on the Flash Drive in case the Flash Drive failed...I could just burn the copied ISO to a new one.
m01101.gif
I understand that but you can update it first then copy it - that is everything but the kernel - use the Synaptic Package Manager to do the updates click on Mark all Upgrades then click on Custom Filters then click on Upgradable If there is a kernel update uncheck it and apply the rest - boom your Flash Drive is current - now copy it before the reboot and make it and ISO - so if you have to use the copy because your thumb drive failed you have a more updated version to put on new thumb drive