How to create a shortcut of a folder in Ubuntu at desktop?

balenshah

Reaction score
Credits
I just need a way to access a folder directly by clicking on desktop.
This answers just copies that folder to desktop instead of just a shortcut.
So, what's the way to do it? Is it impossible?

The same way as you create a shortcut to a prorgram, only type a command like
Code:
pcmanfm /media/1000GB/123_1000/
and when you double click the shortcut, it will open the relevant directory in your file manager.

Another way is to create a bash file with a similar command and put it on the desktop:
Code:
sh -e nemo /path/to/target/dir/
and the result will be the same - your file manager will open the target directory.

Post #16 gives the answer.
A symbolic link is what is needed
Code:
ln -s path/to/sourcefile /home/username/Desktop/ (file or dir name)

You could try this...

I can make 10 links or more in the time it takes to do all that point-and-click bs.

Back in the old and sad days of windwoes shortcuts were a thing as I remember but since switching to Linux I've never had a use for them or windwoes either for that matter.
happy0009.gif

The same way as you create a shortcut to a prorgram, only type a command like
Code:
pcmanfm /media/1000GB/123_1000/
and when you double click the shortcut, it will open the relevant directory in your file manager.

Another way is to create a bash file with a similar command and put it on the desktop:
Code:
sh -e nemo /path/to/target/dir/
and the result will be the same - your file manager will open the target directory.
Could you please explain this? I didn't get how I'd use this in my laptop.

Could you please explain this? I didn't get how I'd use this in my laptop.
Open a new text file and write this:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Exec=nemo /media/1000GB
Name=enter whatever name you want
Icon=/path/to/icon

Then save it to the desktop as something like "Nemo-media-dir.desktop". Double click it and it will open the target directory in Nemo.

Just a heads up @rado84 - the OP is on Ubuntu Desktop, that's Nautilus (aka Files) not Nemo.

Avagudweegend

Wiz
Got it...I followed the same instruction in Linux Mint and it worked for me.
happy0035.gif

Not much help to users of mainstream distros, I know, but I adore Puppy's powerful ROX-filer sym-link function. I'm faster with this than I ever can be via the CLI or Bash. Drag (from anywhere)->drop (to anywhere); up comes a wee window->Link (relative) or Link (absolute). Sorted.

You cannot believe its ease-of-use until you've tried it. ROX-filer is extremely underrated.

Just a heads up @rado84 - the OP is on Ubuntu Desktop, that's Nautilus (aka Files) not Nemo.

(This is, of course, where Wiz's huge stable of distros comes in so handy.....because it lets him distinguish between all those small details. I MAY run several distros.....but they're all from the same "kennels", and all function the same way. So I'm really not much use to anybody outside of the Puppy-sphere!)

I don't know how Wiz finds the time to separately maintain all those different distros. I run about 10 Puppies.....and at that, most share common, architecture-agnostic resources - like themes, fonts, scripted utilities, and some "noarch" items - from an external partition.

And that's all making use of Pup's sym-link function.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
If I wanted to create a shortcut in Linux Mint I would go to...Menu...All Applications...choose Application and right click it and select either...Add to Panel or Add to Desktop.
happy0035.gif

Haven't done this for years as I don't want to clutter up Desktop or Panel.
happy0034.gif

Staff online