How to Detect USB External Modem

It is a job for a suitably qualified technician.

It will be soldered in place, not plugged in....and working with pieces as delicate as that is not a job for the faint hearted, nor possessing the right equipment.

Wiley One you are awesome. I've been looking for hours!!! I'm also illiterate in entering things in search engine successfully. One day I may get hispeed and then I can learn and practice. Thanks so very much. Wow, I didn't know it had to be soldered. I saw someone replace one and they didn't mention soldering. Guess I'll have to drop back and review this. Dang I hate to give up on using linux. Maybe another motherboard is possible. Maybe a tech can be found. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Glad to be of some help!

Condobloke, Thanks for the info. I will probably look for a tech to fix this. Or see if I can find a motherboard, which may be cheaper, Will let you know what happens.

Wiley One you are awesome. I've been looking for hours!!! I'm also illiterate in entering things in search engine successfully. One day I may get hispeed and then I can learn and practice. Thanks so very much. Wow, I didn't know it had to be soldered. I saw someone replace one and they didn't mention soldering. Guess I'll have to drop back and review this. Dang I hate to give up on using linux. Maybe another motherboard is possible. Maybe a tech can be found. Thanks again.
I've an old desktop refurbished by me three years ago, with non-UEFI motherboard and new power supply, 4GB RAM; gave to a friend whose wife bought a Windoze machine, recently. I'll check and see if he can send it, if you want to pay for shipping. Had a good video card and spinny hdd, multi-reader. tower only. mid-size.

Thank you Wiley One for your generosity. I'm looking to get Linux on a laptop. I need to take my show on the road as a rule, so I'll find a way to fix this fujitsu or intend another solution. Finding a tech who can install the chip would be optimum. May be possible...used to be a Chinese guy in town who did some technical work. Will see if he is still there. Will let you know how it goes.

Hello guys. I'm losing track of where I'm posting. Tried to get the BIOS chip installed. Guy said it was the wrong one or not programmed, which it was supposed to be. The machine wouldn't turn on, so he said he put the old one back in. I need to take it home to test to to see if things are different. New motherboard is the only next step I can think of. I discovered my astrology program isn't working properly, so I'll have to try Virtual box. That requires having a Windows disc doesn't it? I may have an old XP disk. updates to follow.

I discovered my astrology program isn't working properly, so I'll have to try Virtual box. That requires having a Windows disc doesn't it? I may have an old XP disk. updates to follow.
If your astrology program runs under windows and supports XP then yes, it does require having a windows' install file either a CD or DVD or ISO and also yes, the old XP disc might do.

Thanks Tolkem for the response. Soooo, I'm suppose to have restore and backup files for Windows 7 on my backup drive. Can you tell me how to recognize the 'install file' so that I might make an ISO of it. The XP disc is suspect. Would like to be ready when I get a Linux machine functioning. I thought I downloaded/installed Virtual Box yesterday on the Fujitsu yet I can't find it. I supposedly updated the machine successfully yesterday. Maybe it just isn't working right.

I'm Back...I guess I hardly left. I am installing another Mint version 19.3 Cinnamon. All was flowing nicely till I came home and attempted to connect to dialup. I installed wvdial and I believe it is properly configured. GNOME PPP is installed and I configured that, but it cannot detect the modem. I get info of a usr/share/alsa/pcm/modem.conf being talked about, but putting that in responds with no such file or directory. I've been reading man & help and can't figure out a direction. This is my last chore currently before I learn how to back things up. The usb external modem is a Zoom brand 56K coaxtent and the driver has been installed. I tried entering /ttyACMO in the location window of GNOME PPP as well as trying all the offered locations from the dropdown list. Message is 'no modem detected on system. I'm using the modem on the Windows machine now.
As always my thanks for an assist.

I dont know if this is said already, But try search for "broadcom"

You need to have the broadcom driver

Greetings

Members online

Latest posts