How to download youtube videos in ubuntu?

balenshah

Reaction score
Credits
I'm currently using youtube-dl and few other websites for downloading youtube videos.
But I want a software because those website will die some day. And instead of using youtube-dl, I'd love a GUI based application.
I want to download videos as mp4 in various qualities (144p,240p,360p,480p and so on).
I also want some of them to be downloaded as mp3.
So, please recommend me some great softwares.
This is for personal purpos.

Used to be able to do so but do not think it is very easy, anymore. Have not tried in a long time.

Depends on your browser, if you're using Firefox then you can install YD YouTube downloader, available in addon's. [that's what I use]

Do be aware, guys, that Google continuously 'tweak' the YouTube code on a regular basis, specifically to defeat the plethora of 'workarounds' out there. They don't want you downloading stuff for personal consumption whenever YOU want.....they would far rather you watched it on-line every time, because it keeps their SEO ratings sky-high. Plus it allows them maximum opportunity to keep pushing adverts in your face. They don't care about your bandwidth. Why should they?

There is NO one bit of software out there that will do the job for ever and a day. And most of those that do exist don't auto-update.....they need to be manually re-installed. With the regularity with which Google keep altering things, this can get old.....FAST.

I think the only one that will update easily - from within the app - IS youtube-dl.

Myself, I don't often want to download vids from YT. However, out of the collection of Chromium-based 'portables' I build for the Puppy community, the one I would recommend for this task is Slimjet.......because it comes with its own YT-downloader built-in. And this is independent of the Google App Store - it's NOT an extension - so Google can't just delete it on a whim.

Like most Chromium 'clones', Slimjet is updated pretty regularly. I can't be sure, but I suspect they use a modified build of youtube-dl anyway.......whatever the case, their YT-downloader is always up to date & fully-functional.

Just my two-penn'orth, FWIW.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
In Linux Mint Software Manager there's Video Downloader...works well.
happy0035.gif

As Mike says Slimjet has a video downloader built in...as shown.
happy0043.gif

screenshot-38.png

I use yt-dlp which is a youtube-dl fork based on the now inactive youtube-dlc
Syntax: this will list available formats
Code:
yt-dlp -F website address
in this case from YouTube
1.png

You have to look closely some are "Audio" only some are "Video" only you have to grab the ones that are both in the above you will see the below line
Screenshot from 2022-09-06 20-18-36.png

now use this
Code:
yt-dlp -f 22 website address
this will download the 720P format

Last edited by a moderator:
@Lord Boltar I want to download multiple videos at the same time. (Not from same playlist). If they fail it'd be easy to click restart in GUI application. That's why.

@MikeWalsh Yes I'm aware. That happens a lot and yt-dl is the only one that does the job 100% of times. I want gui because restarting download when download fails in yt-dl is hard. likewise choosing the video quality/video isn't easy in terminal.

Depends on your browser, if you're using Firefox then you can install YD YouTube downloader, available in addon's. [that's what I use]
extension for everything just makes the browser unusable with lots of crashes. I think slimjet is better alternative. Just use it independently when you want to download videos.

it didn't work on ubuntu.
It comes as a Snap package, or a Flatpack

obviously, it will 'work' in Ubuntu

You did not specify multipe files download.

Are you quite sure this for personal use ?

Staff online