How to dual boot windows 10 Pro with Ubuntu 20.04

bharu

Reaction score
Credits
I'm using HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC, there are many videos online to dual boot, I'm just confused which to follow. I tried one earlier and I could not make grub menu appear on startup. I tried many things to make it appear, nothing seemed to work. So I completely uninstalled that Ubuntu installation and asking for help.

Kindly help me out guys.

not a common problem but I have seen the same on various forums over the years, with various cures , re-install [if the os medium was corrupt] install grub again, or enable the grub in the bios, W10 has a bit of a reputation for causing various problems especially after it has run updates... a bit old but have a read of this...https://askubuntu.com/questions/746788/dual-boot-windows-10-and-ubuntu-cant-load-ubuntu

you can have a look at this thread: https://linux.org/threads/option-to-select-between-windows-10-and-ubuntu-20-04-is-not-showing.33732/

i'm guessing with Windows 10 there is a good chance your notebook is uefi ; so you will want grub not to be mbr mode but to work with esp . Bootloaders for uefi will be on the efi partition.

The way i would approach it is to install ubuntu and then confirm that you have a working ubuntu OS; then sort out boot issues. So on e way you can do that is put rEFInd onto a usb stick and boot from the usb stick. If your notebook is uefi , rEFInd should give you option to boot up either Windows or Ubuntu. I tested rEFInd on a usb with wifes Windows 10 laptop and my HP laptop with slackware on it .

After confirming you have working OS of Windows and ubuntu you can then tackle the issues. The url to the thread top of this post mention some solutions. Can you confirm your notebook is uefi or not ?

Last edited:
I have dual boot on all my computers, some dual boot with Win 7, others with Win 10. The most important thing I have learned is to install Windows first, then follow up with your Linux install. I have found that Win 10 plays a lot nicer with a Linux install than it did in the past. When you go to install your Linux, you should get an option to "Install Alongside Windows." This is the easiest option, and I have yet to have a failure doing this with Mint, which is a derivative of Ubuntu. My personal favorite way to install a dual boot is to have a seperate drive for each OS. However, most laptops don't come with dual drive bays.

Members online

Latest posts