how to exit installation process open-ssh in ubuntu 20.04

sabsac

Reaction score
Credits
while installing openssh-server on ubuntu 20.04 I want exit or quit the installation peocess in the middle for some reason. control + c does not work. how to quit the installation steps iin the middle?

If CTRL + C doesn't stop it, just let it finish and then uninstall it.

The are quite few steps before the process is completed.and we have to respond to input our preferences by typing in.

how to quit the installation steps iin the middle?
If CTRL+C doesn't work, and if clicking the "X" on the installer window doesn't work, then open a new terminal with CTRL+ALT+T, and run top to find the PID of the installer process. Then CTRL+C to quit top. Then...
Code:
sudo kill <PID>

If that fails, or if you can't figure out which PID, then...
Code:
sudo reboot

Aborting an installation may leave a mess. Some suggestions for cleaning up are here and here.

Last edited:
Ok i will post a screenshot later to make myself clear.By the way I am installing the package on a docker Ubuntu container.

Ok i will post a screenshot later to make myself clear.By the way I am installing the package on a docker Ubuntu container.
That's cool that you use Docker.... :) When you say "we" and "our", are you part of a business or non-profit, or some other organization? :) 'Cuz if it's more than one person (you), you'll need to be careful for SURE not to kill installations partway through... I'd say let it finish, and then simply remove it. :) Stan's got a good point too. :)

If you're going to run containers, use podman instead of docker because it's more secure.

Why is Podman more secure than Docker? :) I never used either, but I get the basic concept of the Technology....

Podman is a little more secure, but docker is phasing out. Podman is the future.
Podman is daemonless, less overhead.
Podman has native built-in systemd support.

For the most part, most podman commands are backwards compatible with docker.
Also Podman has more OVF (open virtualization format) compatibility than docker.

I think it was memory issue on the container. the action did get interrupted the second time ran the openssh install command on pressing ctrl +c. so my query got resolved.

Why is Podman more secure than Docker? :) I never used either, but I get the basic concept of the Technology.... :D
If you have access to the docker user/group you will be able to become root on the system, with podman you can run containers as normal users and allows you to run rootless containers.

Members online