how to fix video playback on browser

Leonardo_B

Reaction score
Credits
I been lately swithching browserss . Most of them dont play every video on facebook or youtube . even firefox which is stander in most linux distros . i currently running falkon and i like it . how do i go about fixing it ?

Not sure if this would apply to you but it worked for me.
Maybe you could piece the puzzle together with the info.

I been lately swithching browserss . Most of them dont play every video on facebook or youtube . even firefox which is stander in most linux distros . i currently running falkon and i like it . how do i go about fixing it ?
Do you get any error messages? What's exactly the problem? Is playback slow? Do videos play at all? How much RAM? What's the GPU and CPU make and model? Which distro? Falkon hasn't been updated like for almost 3 years, last version was released in 2019, and it's still considered "beta", just saying. https://www.falkon.org/ IMHO, software like web browsers need to be up-to-date, I tried it a while ago, and I liked it too, but the fact that it doesn't get updated put me off.

In Firefox and Brave settings I had to enable Widevine and DRM in order for some videos and movies to play.

Some claim that Widevine and DRM have security vulnerabilities however what doesn't have security threats and vulnerabilities nowadays.

Do you get any error messages? What's exactly the problem? Is playback slow? Do videos play at all? How much RAM? What's the GPU and CPU make and model? Which distro? Falkon hasn't been updated like for almost 3 years, last version was released in 2019, and it's still considered "beta", just saying. https://www.falkon.org/ IMHO, software like web browsers need to be up-to-date, I tried it a while ago, and I liked it too, but the fact that it doesn't get updated put me off.
snice the last post i switching to opera but still gettng some problems. I have the youtube video working now . but now videoes like webcam videos dont not play i tkeep on loading .i rocking intel pentium gold and 16gb of ram

What distro are you running?
What version of whatever browser?
Post any error message you get when you try to play a video.
Use a browser that is updated, like Chromium, Brave, or Firefox.
If you can post inxi out put using inxi -Ffxxxz
or neofetch output.
The more information you post the easier it is for others to help you.
Just saying it doesn't work really doesn't help anyone.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way : http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

What distro are you running?
What version of whatever browser?
Post any error message you get when you try to play a video.
Use a browser that is updated, like Chromium, Brave, or Firefox.
If you can post inxi out put using inxi -Ffxxxz
or neofetch output.
The more information you post the easier it is for others to help you.
Just saying it doesn't work really doesn't help anyone.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way : http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
i runing the latest ubuntu , their no error on the opera but it keep on loading on live streams and plays well on facebook and youtube. as for fire fox on some vides it does not play some youtube vides

as for fire fox on some vides it does not play some youtube vides
Could it be that some codec is missing? In FF's URL bar type about : plugins(without spaces, I used because otherwise you'll see this :p instead, like this about:plugins lol), hit enter and check whether openh264 video codec is present.
EDIT: Taking a closer look to your screenshot, I can see the FF about window, however, the browser behind it is Opera, and the video is running in Opera too. So, which one are you having problems with?
EDIT2: Nevermind, I just noticed they're tiled side by side.
EDIT3: Try launching each browser at a time from terminal
Code:
opera-stable
and then
Code:
firefox
try playing some video and check for any error messages in terminal, then copy/past them in your reply.

Last edited:
You might try Enhancer for Youtube addon for Firefox
I have no issues playing YT videos and I have my Firefox locked down pretty tight.
firefox:
Installed: 91.0.1-2
Candidate: 91.0.1-2
What addons are you using in Firefox?

ya bothe screens was tiled in mate . i clicked on both they say their both up today and i can use them but i have problems still. i have only lasspass. chrome works fine but i dont wanat use the evil of chrome. microsoft edge working fine too. but microsoft is evil too. I find it funny that even tho microsoft edge is just in beta it working out of the box:(

Last edited:
i solved my own problem it was a 3rd party codec i need that did not come with ubuntu. when i reinstalled firefox it let me know that

Members online