How To Get Grub Back With My Fresh Slackware Installation

well i have used grub2 before , but can anybody be sure with computers?
you can wait for others to reply and see if they think its a peace of cake? did you use disc to install slackware ?

what did you use to install slackware, how about using source , then instead of just hitting return type in path to slackware on sda1, if it works you know you can use source/ tools to rescue back up

Yeah, it is a little confusing, however I think I'll be able to follow your instructions for Grub in post #3 to get Grub installed.
you can wait for others to reply and see if they think its a peace of cake? did you use disc to install slackware ?
No, I used the usb stick to install Slackware.

Yeah, it is a little confusing, however I think I'll be able to follow your instructions for Grub in post #3 to get Grub installed.

No, I used the usb stick to install Slackware.
ok how about a small experiment boot back from slackware install stick and at stage where it says boot: at that stage type hugesmp.s root =/dev/sda1 rdinit=ro

i'm trying to see if things go bad you can still boot back your installed system ; i guess you skipped the "make a boot up stick"? ok how about a small experiment boot back from slackware install stick and at stage where it says boot: at that stage type hugesmp.s root =/dev/sda1 rdinit=ro

Last edited:
i'm trying to see if things go bad you can still boot back your installed system ; i guess you skipped the "make a boot up stick"? ok how about a small experiment boot back from slackware install stick and at stage where it says boot: at that stage type hugesmp.s root =/dev/sda1 rdinit=ro
Yes, I skipped make a boot up stick.

I can only see 1/2 of the screen from the install usb stick so that wouldn't work.
Because of that it was very hard to install Slackware.

review one way of switching from lilo to grub2 :
1)boot up slackware
2) make sure grub pkg is on Desktop, or elsewhere where you know to find it
3) remove lilo :# removepkg lilo
4) install grub package : installpkg grub-2.04-x86_64-1.txz
5) put grub where you want it # grub-install /dev/sda
6) finish grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
// now in other distro there is grub update , but slackware might have to do manual edit

there used to be in grub legacy menu.1st , from my old note its now /etc/default/grub

Yes, I skipped make a boot up stick.

I can only see 1/2 of the screen from the install usb stick so that wouldn't work.
Because of that it was very hard to install Slackware.
there should be a choice of screen output to see all

my thinking that IF you installed Slackware last ? then when you got to #liloconfig it failed to list other distro.
Either the Computer God in the sky is saying "you only need Slackware, forget the rest" or lilo /elilo is not doing it.So maybe give grub a go . There may be still some manual editing

review one way of switching from lilo to grub2 :
1)boot up slackware
2) make sure grub pkg is on Desktop, or elsewhere where you know to find it
3) remove lilo :# removepkg lilo
4) install grub package : installpkg grub-2.04-x86_64-1.txz
5) put grub where you want it # grub-install /dev/sda
6) finish grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
// now in other distro there is grub update , but slackware might have to do manual edit
I followed your instructions and the terminal said it was installing for i386-pc platform
Installation finished. No error reported.

Running grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg found Linux Mint and MX Linux.

I'm rebooting now.

After a fresh reboot I'm still getting the lilo bootloader with the countdown. Which is really weird because I removed lilo with removepkg!

Grub is installed--

and is elilo still there ?

ls /var/log/packages | grep elilo
Yeah, it's still there-

bash-5.0$ ls /var/log/packages | grep elilo
elilo-3.16-x86_64-10
bash-5.0$

I ran removepkg lilo as root and watched those files get deleted.

Should I have ran removepkg elilo instead?

well i'm not too happy you don't have a backup plan so , decision is yours :

ok so fingers crossed
#removepkg elilo

reboot

After rebooting elilo is gone.

I still have the lilo bootloader booting me directly into Slackware.
Having said that, I'll shut down this rig completely wait a minute and start the desktop and see what it boots to.

I waited a few minutes before booting up the desktop after I shut it down.
Surprisingly I still have the lilo bootloader taking me directly to Slackware.

I think the Slackware gods are involved at this point, ha-

I'll hold down F8 this time instead of letting it go to Slackware and see if I get Grub with all of the distro's listed in the Menu like I did before.

Holding down F8 gives me the Grub Menu. BTW F8 is only showing me the NVMe drive and the 500 GB WD. Which sounds right because lilo has control over the 1 TB drive that Slackware's on.

MX Linux is first in the list, than Mint than Slackware.
And, it appears that MX Linux has the boot in the grub menu.

I was hoping to get Grub w/o having to hold down F8.

When I have more time later I'll look in the BIOS and see what the boot priority and those options are set to.

well i'm off soon to do bed time reading - understanding the kernel haha ; maybe while you can still boot up , leave it at that . There should be options for install window ; and really you need plan B if things go wrong

Members online