How to get rid of tor browser using command line

linux-man

Reaction score
Credits
How do I get rid of tor browser and tor bundle using command line using terminal gui. I have Zorin core on virtual box.
I general when I want to remove any program, what information about that program will be required before heading to command line in terminal GUI and typing remove? Thanks in advance.

The Tor Project people say just to delete the folder where it's located (unless you installed from source code).
https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#HowUninstallTor

I general when I want to remove any program, what information about that program will be required before heading to command line in terminal GUI and typing remove? Thanks in advance.
You should know the package name to remove with the command line. For example:
Code:
sudo apt remove firefox

You may can guess a package name and confirm it like this:
Code:
which firefox

Cheers

I'm not a Zorin user, but Zorin is based on Ubuntu isn't it?

If so, if you have apt-file installed - you can find out what package a file, library or executable came from.

If you don't have apt-file, you can install it like this:
Code:
sudo apt install apt-file

Once you have apt-file installed, you will need to update its cache using:
Code:
sudo apt-file update

Once you have updated apt-file's cache, you can find out which package installed an executable like this:
Code:
apt-file search $(which executableName)
Or more simply:
Code:
apt-file search executableName
Where executableName is the name of the executable you are interested in.

Alternatively, you could also search using dpkg-query - which will definitely be installed because it is one of the lower-level package management tools for Debian based systems:
Code:
dpkg-query -S $(which executableName)
Or:
Code:
dpkg-query -S executableName

Off the top of my head, to remove tor - I think the packages you will need to remove are simply called tor and torbrowser-launcher.

So to remove them (assuming I have remembered the package names correctly):
Code:
sudo apt remove --purge tor torbrowser-launcher
That should remove tor and the tor launcher. The --purge setting will also remove any configuration files that they have left behind.

After removing the packages, you might also want to use:
Code:
sudo apt autoremove --purge
This will remove any unused packages/dependencies that were left behind. And again, using the --purge option with apt autoremove will remove any left-over configs for unneeded packages.

The reason for doing this is:
When you uninstall a package, sometimes it leaves behind some of its auto-installed dependencies - in case they are required by other programs/packages. The apt autoremove command will check your system for any unused packages that can safely be removed and will remove them for you.

Last edited:
Unlike macOS, Linux provides different methods for uninstalling software. If you have no idea of what you want to uninstall, but you don’t know the exact name, see this article about finding out exact package names in Linux. You can also use the “dpkg” command to see a list of all installed packages on your computer, press “Ctrl + Alt + T” to open a Terminal window. Type dpkg --list at the prompt and press "Enter".

I have TOR on my computer. You download it and extract it to a folder and run it from there. To remove it, you simply delete the folder. You can go to the folder where it's at and type 'rm -rf ../tor-browser_en-US' unless your folder name is something else.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts